KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone setup the geometry for track? What are the following?
Front ride height?
Rear ride height?
Anyone running a 180/60?

·
Registered
435 Posts
With stock suspension there isn't much set up possible, other than rear preload and moving the forks through the triple clamp. On the track i ground through my brake leaver with the stock suspension, the stock suspension sits the bike too low with progressive springs and the excessive sag. With my Nitron, i have the shock length 5mm longer than stock, and set rider sag at 35mm, front forks now with Matris internals 7.4 kn springs and 45mm rider sag. The bike sits considerably higher, suspension works instantantly, no excessive travel and no floaty feeling in-between fast left-right switches. I haven't felt the need to raise the forks, the 790 has no problem steering accurately and reasonably quickly. My set up is primarily for road, but i just firm up for the track days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assumed for track bikes the suspension was upgraded. I am going to run Andreani front and Nitron rear.

Have you measured the rider height before and after?

·
Registered
435 Posts
These where my rider and bike sag measurements on the stock suspension. The upgraded suspension sits about 10-15mm higher, so gives the bike more ground clearance. With the stock suspension id grind my foot brake leaver on track, but after the up grade, no more grinding it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Since Mohith brought it up, I’ve seen Troy(from motorcycle.com) in a the Kramer GP2 testing video using a 180/60 rear tyre on is 2nd day on the track and it seemed to be a positive upgrade for him to carry more speed/stability in corner. Like he said it gives more contact patch to the tarmac when on a high lean angle.

Does somebody else actually tried it ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We can probably use this thread to document our changes. Don't know anyone running a 180/60.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was going to raise my front and rear evenly to get my fork adjusters to clear my bar, but I may just get the butt a tad higher while I'm there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I'm correct, a guy I know on Facebook, Tobias Carlen runs 180/60 and he's very happy with te upgrade (in combination with al ot of other upgrades he has done on the bike).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Raising the front and rear equally keeps the geometry the same. Not sure if the geometry is already aggressive

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just adding another thread i found where ride height has been altered.

From Rick-

dropped my forks the 6-6.5mm to the very tops of the tubes, I need clearance for my fork adjusters with the ProTaper bar in the forward position. Raising the rear on the Nitron was easier than expected, just loosen the jam nut and rotate the base! 4 turns got me +10mm, 5 got me +14mm so I left it there. My chain gap went from 4mm at standard height to 3mm at +14mm height, so at least I have a baseline for any checking. A digital inclinometer on a lower fork leg gave me the same stock angle at +10mm rear, and +14mm got me 0.25deg so it's not major. My bars clear the adjusters now, but I still need to space the clamps up a bit to actually get a stubby 3mm allen into the adjusters.

Link to the page -

·
Registered
265 Posts
And I finally got to ride it today for the first time in nearly 5 weeks, it felt quite nice. I managed to get the bar mounts into the 2nd most forward position, and modified a 3mm allen key to fit and clear. The most forward position clears now, but I'd have to space the mounts up to get an allen in to adjust. These ProTaper Steering Damper Low bars have a much wider clamping area, hence the issues with adjuster clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did some laps on the track with OEM 890 and with my 790 duke r.
My bike is with wp upgraded suspension and a 180/60 in the rear. Front is on the second line Mine is turning s-o much better. I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My notes from first trackday. Front andreani kit resulted in 25mm increase in fork length. Kinda sounds a lot not sure if anyone measured vs the stock.

Rear is 10mm increase due to 190/55 Michelin slicks.

Overall I feel I still need rear ride height. Probably add another 10 mm and see how it rides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts