KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
VIP member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless something extraordinary happens, this will likely be the last article about my 790 Duke on Motorcycle.com. It's been fun, but it's time to switch focus – at least as far as work is concerned. (I'm definitely not finished with my 790.) So, I thought I'd end with a straight-up comparo of my modified 790 against an 890. The results are interesting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really don't get the fueling comments about the 890, mine seems perfect..

Maybe I just have lower standards?

I'm coming from a 990 SMT (remapped, piped, open airbox etc) that I thought was pretty good but when I rode the 890 my first thought was "wow, KTM has really nailed the fueling on this bike".

I have no desire to remap or tinker with it at all, which is a first for me (although I am putting a Wings on it pretty much just for looks)..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just finished reading the article, enjoyed the comparisons. I'd say with the way you've upgraded your bike, the rider factor will make the most difference unless the track has long straights. Let's be real, if KTM would have came out with 790 R, yours would still be an enviable machine. I strongly considered the 790, but the option of getting a Street Triple RS instead kept me from getting one. Once the 890 R came out, I knew it was the one to get; bought one after watching a single review in German. 😄

·
a d m i n .
151,048 Posts
Loved it, Evans, great comparo, I really enjoy your writing style.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I got fed up trying to convince people how good these bikes are with a pcv fitted.
very interested to see how an 890 turns out with one fitted and custom mapped.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
I had Rottweiler's Stage V kit on my SDR, including the AutoTune box. It improved the SDR's fueling immensely. It also included the dongles for the O2 sensors and dual wideband O2 sensors. Ran like a striped ass ape, but also very smooth and controllable at all altitudes from sea level to almost 10K feet.

However, looking at their setup for the 790/890 the fact that O2 dongles don't work and you have your choice of either having a warning light on the dash or running it so the PCV manages the open loop area but KTM still fucks up the closed loop area turns me off from doing a PCV on the 890.

IME, the 890s fueling problems are at very small throttle openings (fuel cut) and the midrange hole around 5500 rpms. I guess the PCV may fix the midrange hole, but nothing to be done about the small throttle opening stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
I guess that the right thing to do, for me, was to hold off on upgrading the 790 and trade in for an 890 when it came out. Some of the forum members did just that.

That said, I enjoyed the journey, have a bike that is very personalized, and most probably not that far from the 890, other than engine. Knowing myself, I would also thrown money at the 890.

Reactions: EvansB2

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 890 has the full akra Ti system and the Rottweiler 790 tuned PCV for no cat and retaining the O2's. (The non-race tune). The fueling was spot on everywhere stock, but I could feel the dip in the mid-range. I have no low speed/small throttle opening issues and the mid-range feels like it pulls seamlessly all the way to rev limit. When Rottweiler gets their 890 specific tune, I will have that loaded. I have no CEL on the dash.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’ve had a chance to ride my friends 890, and while for sure it has more ooomph,I think I’ll stick with my modded 790. I’ve invested in upgraded suspension, pipe and PCV, and updated the brake pads to where I find for me it’s perfect.

G

·
My 890 has the full akra Ti system and the Rottweiler 790 tuned PCV for no cat and retaining the O2's. (The non-race tune). The fueling was spot on everywhere stock, but I could feel the dip in the mid-range. I have no low speed/small throttle opening issues and the mid-range feels like it pulls seamlessly all the way to rev limit. When Rottweiler gets their 890 specific tune, I will have that loaded. I have no CEL on the dash.
Do you not get a CEL on your bike because you are running the PCV tuned bike on top of the Akra Evo map? Have you ever run just the Akra full exhaust and Akra map? Curious how a 790/ 890 does without the PCV and tune, but with a great system and available "factory" tune.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you not get a CEL on your bike because you are running the PCV tuned bike on top of the Akra Evo map? Have you ever run just the Akra full exhaust and Akra map? Curious how a 790/ 890 does without the PCV and tune, but with a great system and available "factory" tune.
I think the Rottweiler CEL is ONLY if you loose the o2, and use the race map.
I have NOT run the bike with the KTM Akra software. I added the exhaust and the PCV with tune at the same time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As usual, very nice article! 👍
I was a bit disappointed when ( one month or so after my purchase) they announced the 890r but in fact the 790 is better in every aspects(but the brake maybe) then my last 89’ gsx 750 highly modified.
After injuries and other issues i was 6 years with out a 2 wheeler. Since i was in desperate need i got the 790d witch i put to my taste aesthetically. To make a long story short, as off now like younglion’s signature says “My ambition outweighed my talent” my bike is obviously better than I am. So until I can push it to it’s limit witch may take a while, it seems like i will do some overtime in order to tweak/upgrade this little girl to an ‘R’ spec. Also I’m not the type a guy that change often.
Thank to Evans for your great info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Loved it !
Pleasure to read....self-depreciation mixed with humour and love for one's bike...just how I would write a story if I had the talent.

Let's become the 790 otaku (=Japanese maniacs) and let the 890s pass with greater speed easily. Way too easily.
Damn it, why do I not have an 890R ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regarding the fueling, the 890 Dyno looks pretty good up top where it’s gonna love at the track...

But I 2nd someone else’s comments that the low-RPM partial throttle stuff on my stock 790 is miserable. Riding through residential neighborhoods. It’s impossible to ride that bike slow and smooth. I’ld gladly trade top end power for smoother bottom end for my use.

I was also surprised about the comment about the comment for a desire of lighter wheels. I was really shocked how light the 790’s wheels are. They def seem lighter than my R6’s wheels. I had even made jokes with friends that we should try to find used ones for the race bikes.

Although I do wish I could easily adjust the stock 790 suspension. Just some minor tweaks on both ends.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 890 fuels better down low that the 790's that I have ridden. Once the motor was broke in, it got better and after the PCV it is very nice. I only ever notice anything at very low RpM in first gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts