KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Removed the passenger grab handle. Replaced the torx bolts but they do not go in all the way for obvious reasons. Is there another set of bolts I'm missing? Anyone else have this issue?

Thank you

·
Registered
41 Posts
No, but the same problem arises when you remove the passenger pegs. You are not missing a set of bolts. I ordered some shorter replacement Allen heads on the net. problem solved.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You’re meant to get the right size bolts with the bike, although I had to ask for mine as they weren’t in the case.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Shorter bolts come with the bike in orange manual package. If you do not have then dealer failed to give them to you

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe mine came with the bolts right in the zipper pouch that all the manuals and everything can in..I know this doesn't help at all but should be able to get them from dealership. If not, they are just a metric bolt that you can pick up in about any length from a typical hardware store

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That reminds me - I really must get a grab rail. Bought my 790 second hand and it wasn't there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey guys,
I just removed the grab bar and replaced the bolts with the shorter ones that came in the bag. The bolts were really hard to remove and the new ones really hard to tighten. Felt just wrong. Anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hey guys,
I just removed the grab bar and replaced the bolts with the shorter ones that came in the bag. The bolts were really hard to remove and the new ones really hard to tighten. Felt just wrong. Anyone else have this experience?
My guess is that they were fitted with a low/medium strength threadlocker and there was some left in the threads. These days I tend to "chase" all threads in ali anyway.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Thought I'd add. I HATE THREADLOCK. Not because it's a bad thing, but because it is over used and often totally unnecessary.

I think tbh much of its' use is to give workshops an indication if something has been tinkered with. Which I do understand. But disdain nonetheless.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is there a good source for an assortment of KTM torx bolts. I'm not a fan of the plating on these bolts. I noticed that my inexpensive craftsman torx sockets are not the best fit on these. I'm buying a quality set from Cornwell tools.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
129 Posts
Hey guys,
Seems EVERY bolt on the bike feels extremely tight. Everything has thread lock on it, including all the bolts they provide. It does feel wrong having to apply so much force to the wrench.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Seems EVERY bolt on the bike feels extremely tight. Everything has thread lock on it, including all the bolts they provide. It does feel wrong having to apply so much force to the wrench.
The grab bar bolts were very tight. No issue with the chain guard or sprocket cover. It did seem like a lot of pressure on the grab bar when I tightened them up. I stripped one thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey gang, just to understand correctly, the bike should come with extra bolts to remove just the grab handle, or also the passenger pegs??? I'm going to buy either a 790 or 890, and would like to remove both (I don't remember seeing a grab handle, but I'll look for it after posting this). However, I'd need an exhaust hanger bracket on the right side, to hold the muffler. Can you buy the OEM part from the 890R? If yes, any links? I searched everywhere, but couldn't find any info on the OEM bracket. Only found a part from the UK, but would prefer the OEM part. Glad I found this thread, to ask for whichever extra bolts (2 or 4) the bike is supposed to have. Thank you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey gang, just to understand correctly, the bike should come with extra bolts to remove just the grab handle, or also the passenger pegs??? I'm going to buy either a 790 or 890, and would like to remove both (I don't remember seeing a grab handle, but I'll look for it after posting this). However, I'd need an exhaust hanger bracket on the right side, to hold the muffler. Can you buy the OEM part from the 890R? If yes, any links? I searched everywhere, but couldn't find any info on the OEM bracket. Only found a part from the UK, but would prefer the OEM part. Glad I found this thread, to ask for whichever extra bolts (2 or 4) the bike is supposed to have. Thank you.
If you buy the oem hanger it comes with the two bolts you need to replace on the left side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That'd be great. Do you have a link to it? For the life of me, couldn't find it. So a stock bike should have replacement bolts to remove the grab handle, then? Thank you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That'd be great. Do you have a link to it? For the life of me, couldn't find it. So a stock bike should have replacement bolts to remove the grab handle, then? Thank you.
They are just 8M 1.25 25mm front and 30mm rear 2-5 dollars for hex heads depending if you get stainless

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't know why you'd want to pay $80 dollars for the oem part when you can get one for a quarter of the price. If that's what you want, pick one up at the dealer when you pick your bike. Even better, I have an oem I'll sell you for $75.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know why you'd want to pay $80 dollars for the oem part when you can get one for a quarter of the price.
Post a link for such a part for 1/4 of the price that it's not a piece of crap, and I'd buy it immediately :). The only one I found, costs almost as much as the OEM. It's of good quality, and anodized and everything, but has a logo, so prefer the OEM if it doesn't cost that much more. I was expecting it costing like $150, so a nice surprise. Ha ha. Now it's just the simple matter that you're actually correct, since I can't find it anywhere (a link would be nice).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Post a link for such a part for 1/4 of the price that it's not a piece of crap, and I'd buy it immediately :). The only one I found, costs almost as much as the OEM. It's of good quality, (a link would be nice).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts