KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Duke 890 R
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has advice on tools to use to adjust the shock compression (both high speed and low speed)? With the incredibly awkward placement of the adjusters, I can sort-of access low speed (#1 in the photo) with a stubby screwdriver, but haven't really been able to find something that can access high speed (#2 in the photo) without feeling like I'm going to damage the adjuster. Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
695 Posts
Wondering if anyone has advice on tools to use to adjust the shock compression (both high speed and low speed)? With the incredibly awkward placement of the adjusters, I can sort-of access low speed (#1 in the photo) with a stubby screwdriver, but haven't really been able to find something that can access high speed (#2 in the photo) without feeling like I'm going to damage the adjuster. Any advice would be much appreciated!
What have you tried?

Something like this might work

·
Registered
2021 Duke 890 R
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried a regular open-ended wrench like the left side of the image you posted (which is what the manual says to use), and there's no way I think it'll work because there's not enough space. I also tried a ratchet handle with an extension and a socket, which sort-of works, but because you can't get it correctly aligned, it seems like it'll quickly round off the adjuster. I think the right side of the wrench you posted will probably have the same issue. I may just be missing something obvious about how to do this... I expected if it was a real issue there would be other posts on it, but I couldn't find any.

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
695 Posts
I tried a regular open-ended wrench like the left side of the image you posted (which is what the manual says to use), and there's no way I think it'll work because there's not enough space. I also tried a ratchet handle with an extension and a socket, which sort-of works, but because you can't get it correctly aligned, it seems like it'll quickly round off the adjuster. I think the right side of the wrench you posted will probably have the same issue. I may just be missing something obvious about how to do this... I expected if it was a real issue there would be other posts on it, but I couldn't find any.
How about a shorty?

·
Registered
2021 Duke 890 R
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use a long flat blade screwdriver for the low speed and a ratchet/extension/universal joint/socket combo for the high speed.

(sorry, still cannot insert pictures)
Thanks for the advice - I tried it, and the universal joint makes all the difference! A long screwdriver also works better than a stubby one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use a long flat blade screwdriver for the low speed and a ratchet/extension/universal joint/socket combo for the high speed.
Hey, just curious how far off the adjustments were from the factory, since we're similarly sized, and you seem to have my taste in suspension feel :). Thanks brother. And how about the preload? It's thru an allen wrench, rather than spanners, right?

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey, just curious how far off the adjustments were from the factory, since we're similarly sized, and you seem to have my taste in suspension feel :). Thanks brother. And how about the preload? It's thru an allen wrench, rather than spanners, right?
Yes, preload is with an allen wrench, super handy. I never verified where the bike actually was when I picked it up. It was definitely harsh and I just started fine tuning. The one thing I know is the high speed compression is all the way out (counter clockwise). I also took out low speed comp & rebound on the shock and forks. It's fun to experiment if you keep track of where you start so you can go back for reference. From how it came I clicked everything out four clicks to see how I liked it and went from there. I have around 6mm of bike sag in the rear and I slid the forks up to the last adjustment line. I have it set aggressively since I like quick turn in with a lot of front feedback. I need to verify everything for my log book and will report back after.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thank you. Didn't know the forks had adjustment lines. Where was it, from the factory, and about how many millimeters from that point to the last line you have it now? Just curious. And doesn't that also reduce cornering clearance? Thx.

·
Registered
KTM 890 Duke R (2021)
17 Posts

(sorry, still cannot insert pictures)
Puzzled ... I can't use a long screw driver because there's a lot of cables etc in the way. I ended up using the front bit of the provided tool set, but it was very awkward. What am I missing? [890 Duke R]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts