KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like this bike. I sold a 1290 Super Duke
after riding the 790 for a week as I actually prefer it over the SD.

I now have 2800km on it and my rear tire is almost used up. I’m ordering a set Michelin Road 5’s. It’s not a super hot sport bike tire but it’s darn good from my experience on the SD and hopefully will give me more tire wear.

I’ll admit that this bike is worth going through the tires as fast as it does. BTW it’s all street wear no track use.

I do live close to the mountains and spend most of my riding there. Very little freeway riding.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I run the PR5s on both my other bikes, but i wouldn't fit them on the 790 for myself. My 790 is solely for hooning, and track days, so I'm happy to part with my money for great tires but less longevity. Ive found with the PR5s, and PRs in general they need higher psi to keep them stable, which is not a bad thing on a 200plus KG bike. The PR5s are awesome tires tho, but i think the 790 deserves more of a sports tire.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I had Road 5's on my GSX-S 1000. Outstanding all-weather tyre with a nice soft compound edge for rapid transit in dry conditions. I only have one slight nagging doubt about them. I got 3 rear tyre punctures in 4 months and my last puncture prior to that was around 4 years before that bad run. The first puncture wasn't repairable but the 2 subsequent ones on a replacement Road 5 were. It might have been sheer statistical bad luck to get them close together but I'm looking at the Bridgestone T31 sport touring tyre to replace the Maxxis as they get excellent reviews.

M

·
0 Posts
which tires are you using can you please suggest me? i have to buy for a company, looking for best tires for the bike.

J D : (link removed) SPAMMER account deleted

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had Metzeler Roadtec 01’s on my last bike (VFR750) which is heavier, but I am considering trying these on my Duke as I was very happy with the wet/dry grip & were giving good longevity before I sold the old girl :)

·
a d m i n .
151,000 Posts
I PRs in general they need higher psi to keep them stable, which is not a bad thing on a 200plus KG bike. The PR5s are awesome tires tho, but i think the 790 deserves more of a sports tire.

I've been reading that others, (Facebook), are using the Road 5's on their 790D with great success.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been reading that others, (Facebook), are using the Road 5's on their 790D with great success.
I love PR5s. But have known for the front to wear quicker than the rear (ive ran PR3s and PR4s and never had this issue). On my previous bike (GXF1250S) the front only lasted 8000kms.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I love PR5s. But have known for the front to wear quicker than the rear (ive ran PR3s and PR4s and never had this issue). On my previous bike (GXF1250S) the front only lasted 8000kms.
Interesting comment! A friend with a 1290 GT had exactly the same problem. Mind you, I had the same problem with PR4's on my Blackbird. Conservative steering geometry and twisty roads where I live - almost inevitable. I've had all the PR range on previous bikes but as I mentioned in another thread, I got 3 punctures in 4 months on my Gixxer on Road 5's. Don't know if it was sheer bad luck or the conditions I ride in but less inclined to fit them to the 790 after that experience. Will probably be going for the T31's in the next few weeks. A friend has them on his 'busa and is delighted with them.

·
a d m i n .
151,000 Posts
Interesting comment! A friend with a 1290 GT had exactly the same problem. Mind you, I had the same problem with PR4's on my Blackbird. Conservative steering geometry and twisty roads where I live - almost inevitable. I've had all the PR range on previous bikes but as I mentioned in another thread, I got 3 punctures in 4 months on my Gixxer on Road 5's. Don't know if it was sheer bad luck or the conditions I ride in but less inclined to fit them to the 790 after that experience. Will probably be going for the T31's in the next few weeks. A friend has them on his 'busa and is delighted with them.
Do you think the PR5 is a nail/screw magnet? haha. I'm thinking it was just random. Interesting that some experienced the PR5 front wearing faster than the rear, hardly seems possible? But if it happened than, perhaps I better find a few PR4 fronts to go with the PR5 rear.:smile_big:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Do you think the PR5 is a nail/screw magnet? haha. I'm thinking it was just random. Interesting that some experienced the PR5 front wearing faster than the rear, hardly seems possible? But if it happened than, perhaps I better find a few PR4 fronts to go with the PR5 rear.:smile_big:
Hahaha! It might be random but the environment I ride in might have something to do with it too. Having said that, it has been several years since I had a puncture with other brands prior to this little cluster with the Road 5.

The GSX 1250 which Strawbz mentioned has conservative geometry and it's not a light bike. A bit front end heavy too. If you're going to hustle it through the twisties, you're going to load up the front tyre with countersteering, increasing wear. None of that applies to the 790 so I'm picking that its life will be absolutely fine. On both my Street Triple and GSX-S 1000, I used to get 10-11,000 km from a sport touring rear tyre and the 790 should be better than that.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My 1290 GT and my Multistrada 1200 both use up the from as fast as the rear. (both on PR5s) But on my 790 the rear is nearly toast but the front looks around half worn. Bike is booked in for thursday to have oil weep from the head gasket fixed, new mapping for the CAT removal and fitted link pipe, and while its booked i shall get a new set of S22 fitted. S21 was great, so S22 should be even better. I prefer both front and rear to wear out as a match, because i always get a set fitted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hahaha! It might be random but the environment I ride in might have something to do with it too. Having said that, it has been several years since I had a puncture with other brands prior to this little cluster with the Road 5.

The GSX 1250 which Strawbz mentioned has conservative geometry and it's not a light bike. A bit front end heavy too. If you're going to hustle it through the twisties, you're going to load up the front tyre with countersteering, increasing wear. None of that applies to the 790 so I'm picking that its life will be absolutely fine. On both my Street Triple and GSX-S 1000, I used to get 10-11,000 km from a sport touring rear tyre and the 790 should be better than that.
Spot on. Chalk and cheese compared to the 790D.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
A quick 260 km round trip this morning to Auckland to get new rubber fitted. The low single digit (Celsius) temperatures combined with wet roads in the last week or two has exposed the Maxxis (well, pure sport tyres in general I suppose) lack of grip in those conditions. After a front end slide a week ago, sport touring tyres have been fitted. I chose Bridgestone T31's as they are just on the sporty side of sport-touring. Rode home in wet, blustery conditions and despite being new, they felt really good. Will do a proper evaluation in due course.

Tyres changed and on my way again in less than an hour - that's what you call good service!

Attachments

·
a d m i n .
151,000 Posts
which tires are you using can you please suggest me? i have to buy for a company................Rite Way Towing, looking for best tires for the bike.

adios, spammer.

If you ever notice someone posting BS or suspect info, such as the above former member, please forward me the link, so I can deal with them. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just replaced the Maxxis tires for a set of Bridgestone Battlax S22's. I only ride in the dry and above 15 degrees centigrade, so I can't say anything about their performance in the wet or cold, but in warmer and dry circumstances, these S22's are really great. Much better feel than the Maxxis, they warm up quickly, have loads of grip and give a lot of confidence. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just replaced the Maxxis tires for a set of Bridgestone Battlax S22's. I only ride in the dry and above 15 degrees centigrade, so I can't say anything about their performance in the wet or cold, but in warmer and dry circumstances, these S22's are really great. Much better feel than the Maxxis, they warm up quickly, have loads of grip and give a lot of confidence. I highly recommend them.

A quick update! :smile:

They wear very quickly, around 5K km's. But I loved every km of it!
Last weekend I rode in the wet for 5 hours straight :sad: I must say it wasn't such a terrifying experience as I expected. :) Not bad at all, but Rain mode and traction control do a fine job.

·
Registered
435 Posts

Last weekend I rode in the wet for 5 hours straight :sad: I must say it wasn't such a terrifying experience as I expected. :) Not bad at all, but Rain mode and traction control do a fine job.
I got 2800kms from the S21, thats with 2 track days thrown in. Im now on the S22, and looking forward to a track day on them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the Bridgestone S22 on my last bike (Street Triple R). They were awesome! - the front sides do wear quickly tho, particularly on the right side due to road camber in Australia.

Sold my bike before they were completely toast but should have gotten around 10,000 kms (also did a track day on them)

·
Registered
97 Posts

Not terrifying but better than the Maxxis or worse?
TIA

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't done any miles in the wet with the Maxxis, so I'm afraid I wouldn't know. Sorry!

I try to prevent riding in the wet, so normally I wouldn't have gone out knowing it would rain this much. Otherwise I don't think I would've gone for the S22's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts