KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experimented with different tire sizes yet?
180/55
180/60
190/55

the 180/60 is arguably the best tire choice out there. The question is, will a 190/55fit inside the swing arm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm currently running a pair of Rosso Corsa II in a 180/60 and 120/70 and it works well. A 190/55 will roll over the rear wheel edge a bit to much. It's designed for a 6" wheel.

·
VIP member
547 Posts
I’ve never understood why people run non-stock tire sizes when they’re not looking to solve a specific handling symptom as part of a comprehensive race suspension set up program. I’ve talked with tons of test riders, and to a one, they know what they’re doing. Really, I‘d like to understand. No snark here.

·
VIP member
547 Posts
That's the important word...
You would have to be making a pretty esoteric tire choice for the size not to be available. Also, the OP didn’t seem like they we’re looking for a specific tire but rather wanting to change the size for some unknown reason, and hence my question.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For myself I had to get used to a 180/60 as Pirelli did away with some of their slick sizes. Dave Moss did a suspension seminar and used that tire size as a bench mark for it. On my 848 it took some time to get the suspension set up to get the turn in back to where the 180/55 was. On my Daytona it improved things by slowing the initial turn in and settled down mid corner stability and on the Duke I'm feeling the same thing.

·
VIP member
547 Posts
For myself I had to get used to a 180/60 as Pirelli did away with some of their slick sizes. Dave Moss did a suspension seminar and used that tire size as a bench mark for it. On my 848 it took some time to get the suspension set up to get the turn in back to where the 180/55 was. On my Daytona it improved things by slowing the initial turn in and settled down mid corner stability and on the Duke I'm feeling the same thing.
Now, that’s the type of information I’m looking for! Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve never understood why people run non-stock tire sizes when they’re not looking to solve a specific handling symptom as part of a comprehensive race suspension set up program. I’ve talked with tons of test riders, and to a one, they know what they’re doing. Really, I‘d like to understand. No snark here.
I run 180/60 rears on my Duke 790 instead of 180/55 to improve turnin and gain some stability in lean - a 60-profile tyre gives you a bit more side rubber. It also adds a bit of diameter, but I've gone -2 on the front sprocket so it's still very low geared.

Rain tyres on OEM rims are 190/60, just because the selection of rain tyres in 180-width is VERY limited. It fit's, but just barely. There is no advantage to wider rain tyres that I'm aware of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts