KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a light weight at 140 lbs (64kg). The standard tire pressures are 33 and 38. I’m thinking I could do 30 and 35 because I’m lighter than the average rider? It’s pretty harsh right now on the street. ???????

·
Registered
323 Posts
I’m a light weight at 140 lbs (64kg). The standard tire pressures are 33 and 38. I’m thinking I could do 30 and 35 because I’m lighter than the average rider? It’s pretty harsh right now on the street. ???????
You could give it a try, wouldn't hurt anything. I doubt it'll make much difference though... have you reduced the preload on the shock?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure. It is currently at the lowest notch which is full clock-wise position. The only direction that I can adjust it is counter-clock . I'm on the left side of the bike (gear selector side) looking at it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm not sure. It is currently at the lowest notch which is full clock-wise position. The only direction that I can adjust it is counter-clock . I'm on the left side of the bike (gear selector side) looking at it.
That might be okay for your weight, but I would bet it's too little preload. Only way to find out is measuring and setting your sag.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. I still have OEM awesome tires. :) LOL
I have been thinking about getting sport touring/street tires. Any suggestions?
90% of my riding is commuting to work. Once in a while I would ride some canyons.

·
Super-FastGuy
'20 890R
552 Posts
OEM will be fine then for your needs - just check them often and give them time to warm up properly.

How many miles on them now?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I just adjusted the tire pressures to 32F 34R. I have 1000 km on them.

·
Super-Moderator
121 Posts
Enjoy, (suffer?), with the stockers for a while, switch to Michelins, and smile on your first ride, when you realize how much faster the bike turns in. :geek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm running the new Bridgestone S22 tires pressure 27 cold rear 29 cold front. That's for aggressive canyon riding. They end up 31 hot rear and 32 hot front. Awesome tires stick like glue, super stable, and quick steering. I also have Ohlins suspension front and rear which is awesome!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm running the new Bridgestone S22 tires pressure 27 cold rear 29 cold front. That's for aggressive canyon riding. They end up 31 hot rear and 32 hot front. Awesome tires stick like glue, super stable, and quick steering. I also have Ohlins suspension front and rear which is awesome!
I run the S22s, on track cold i start with 28rear and 30front. Wouldn't drop any lower, they over heat. On the road 32F 34R. any lower and they just wear too fast. most i know run 34f 36r on the S22 on the road. As for the stock tires, for a light rider 32/34 would be perfect, a good compromise between warmup-heat-grip and longevity.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your probably right about the tires over heating on the track DaveNZ at the lower pressure, however I'm not concerned with longevity and the heat you generate on the track is much higher than the street. I'll sacrifice longevity for grip and feel even on the street. I have 3200 miles on my rear s22 it is about time for new one but I enjoyed that 3200 miles! If I were doing track days all the time on my 790 I would run an R11. This isn't a track bike for me maybe an occasional track day if the track is tight. I have an R1 with Bridgestone Slicks for track days. For reference the Bridgestone set up sheet for the S22 shows 27 psi cold rear and 33 psi cold front.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn. I'm glad I purchased a higher quality pressure gauge. All of my car and motorcycle tires were 2 lbs under-inflated all this time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Damn. I'm glad I purchased a higher quality pressure gauge. All of my car and motorcycle tires were 2 lbs under-inflated all this time.
Did you get a nice round dial gauge? I don't like using stick gauges after buying a good round dial gauge.

I set my tires last week to 31/35, for some reason I didn't add last year's pressures to my maintenance log. 38psi just seems wrong unless you're commuting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup. The round one. I like the pressure release button too. It allows me time to read the pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm interested to here if letting a few lb of pressure out of the tire helped the ride... It doesn't sound like the right thing to do to me. I manage tire pressure to help with both contact patch and tire heat... The suspension's job is to keep the tires on the ground / soften the bumps. A set of springs aren't that expensive, it might help to see someone that knows what they are doing and have them set up the suspension for your weight.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder what is the ideal weight for a stock 790 Duke? I weigh 140 lbs. With gear, I am guessing 152 lbs. (boots, helmet, leather jacket, and airbag vest). My leather jackets feels like 9 lbs while the airbag is another 6 lbs. The boots are another 4 lbs? Geez! it's almost 20 lbs.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wonder what is the ideal weight for a stock 790 Duke? I weigh 140 lbs. With gear, I am guessing 152 lbs. (boots, helmet, leather jacket, and airbag vest). My leather jackets feels like 9 lbs while the airbag is another 6 lbs. The boots are another 4 lbs? Geez! it's almost 20 lbs.
Theres probably no idea weight as the 790 has progressive springs, but in the ball park of 80 kgs id say. For the heavier guys, they could try 7.5W or even 10w oil in the forks to help, the first part of the travel is very soft and tad sloppy when hooking the bike from hard right to hard left, top transition the bike felt vague. So instead of swapping out springs, just try a little heavier weight oil, its a cheep try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Olhins suspension and the adjustments to fine tune it(y):cool: are awesome

·
Registered
118 Posts
Okay so I got ya by 50 lbs at 195. I run cold 34 front 33 rear with good sport tires and ohlins suspension ftont/ rear. Yea your on oem bricks and at 38 lbs cold you are probably 41 or 42 hot and riding on concrete tires. Michelin Road 5 is excellent sport Touring tire with soft sides.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts