KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Tied my LED signals into Skene photon blaster controller

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  KarlB 
#1 ·
I had installed front (and rear) Skene LEDs last summer to enhance visibility.

Later on in the year '20I installed and enabled LED signals.

This winter I tied the front LEDs into the Skene controller so they are always lit/flicker the same as the Skene LED units for even more daytime vis.

I had to use a resistor kit for the OEM LED signals to avoid the signal error indication. I used the Skene LED signal resistor kit.

The vid below is a best effort view of the effect. Right signal is on. The Skene flicker looks extreme in the video, but tbh it's much more subtle and almost unnoticeable when viewed straight on.

See less See more
1 1
#4 ·
Per the comment I wrote above "the Skene flicker looks extreme in the video, but tbh it's much more subtle and almost unnoticeable when viewed straight on."

I can understand if someone is not familiar with Skene visibility LEDs that this would look odd.

You can read all about Skene's visibility LEDs here: Skene Lights - motorcycle safety lighting In short the very high-flicker-rate LEDs such that the flicker is only visible from a peripheral view and not straight on https://www.skenelights.com/conspicuity-flicker. The idea being to get someone not looking in your direction (e.g., at an intersection) to notice that you are there. I tested this as well with my wife following/heading-towards me in her car, and indeed it works as advertised - looks solidly when viewed mostly straight on.

Also naturally a phone camera will show even more LED flicker depending on the duty cycle of the LED(s). I even recorded in 60fps to try and help that, but I think youtube's processing made it worse again.

In short, straight on the non-turning LEDs looks like solidly lit LEDs - the vid is not a great representation, but anyone else already using Skene will understand what I'm showing.

#8 ·
Like you say - if the law allows then can't hurt.

Biological interfaces are occasionally unreliable. For example, I find it almost impossible to focus on Cobalt Blue LED light. First detected at Nuremburg airport, when I realised I could not read the electronic gate numbers. It makes my perception of modern emergency vehicles very vague. Old flashing blue filament lights I see no problems at all. I am sort of aware of a weird glow but I don't really "see" it unless I first understand it's there.

#9 ·
For some reason my original response got tagged as pending moderator approval, no idea why...

Per the comment I wrote above "the Skene flicker looks extreme in the video, but tbh it's much more subtle and almost unnoticeable when viewed straight on."

I can understand if someone is not familiar with Skene visibility LEDs that this would look odd.

Per Conspicuity Flicker | skenelights the optional very high-flicker-rate on these LEDs is only visible from a peripheral view and not straight on from a distance. The idea being to encourage someone not paying a lot of attention (perhaps at an intersection) to actually notice that you are there. I tested the effect subjectively with my wife following/heading-towards me in her car and indeed it works as advertised - looks solidly lit when viewed directly from other cars. In fact she tried to tell me they weren't flickering at all until I got her to look at them from an angle out of the corner of her vision.

A phone camera will show even more LED flicker depending on the duty cycle of the LED(s). I even recorded in 60fps to try and help that, but I think the video upload processing made it worse again.

In short, straight on the non-turning LEDs looks like solidly lit LEDs - the vid is not a great representation, but anyone else already using Skene will understand what I'm showing.

Also if you don't want to use their "conspicuity-flicker" it can be turned off and the just become very bright visibility/brake LEDs.

PS. No I'm not selling them or part of the company :) I just like the added visibility they provide.

This orig post was only about the added ability to run the stock LED signals as "running lights" using the Skene controller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.