KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard many different opinions and read posts about noisy engines.
Mine is normal at idle but at 5000 revs there is a sewing machine type tapping
It’s most noticeable tooling around in 3rd gear 50 MPH 5000+ RPMS
It didn’t sound like this for the first 5000
One dealer says it’s fine but I’m thinking of taking it to another dealer
What do you guys think?
If there is a problem I want it looked at and documented while still in warranty
Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
I personally don't even know what a normal engine sounds like, but I think it makes sense to go to another dealer for a second opinion. I would also keep detailed records of each interaction with each dealer. If your engine grenades after the warranty period, you will have records to show that you've tried to bring it to their attention. I can say this with no anxiety because my wife is an attorney, and she can bring this to a small-claims court in California. It's free for me. If they don't show up, she wins, and I get a new engine. If they do show up, KTM will have to pay for both an attorney and an expert to challenge her. Both attorney and expert witness fees would cost more than a new KTM 790 Duke.

I would also use a smartphone to record a video of how your engine sounds at idle and above 5000 RPM.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Depends, how loud is it? Can you hear it with earplugs?
Would a potential buyer pick up on it?
The other option, if the dealer thinks its fine, and you dont, ask to trade it in.
First port of call would be to check valve clearances.
Noisy valves are generally healthy valves, its the quiet ones that pose a problem believe it or not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
KTM has a reputation for screwing you. You better document everything. You don't need a lawyer in small claims court. Without documentation and proof, you will not convince the judge. KTM's attorney will bend you over.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts