KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
34 Posts
KTM I am sure can do what they wish in that respect.
I get that, and with some light 'net searching you see people with leaky 790/890 dash's. Is the 1290 dash better all-around in build quality or is it just higher resolution with a different gui?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is the 1290 dash better all-around in build quality or is it just higher resolution with a different gui?
I had an early-pandemic 2020 1290 gen3 and sold it in under a year because of non-stop issues (electrical, electronic and assembly related). So from my perspective I would say it's not "better".

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
34 Posts
My 890 R is sort of in similar circumstance. I am assuming that the adaptive cruise control will be coming to the 990. I am hoping there will be a way to retrofit some of the new stuff on the 'old' 790/890. If not, KTM - shame on you for trying to hard on sales and not on building an orange legacy.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I am riding a 2016 1290 Super Adventure. Completely trouble free. Dash is the old style, though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A 690 - 990 -1290 range does make sense ; significant differences between bikes, different expectations and you can pick your own.
Now, (690-790-)890-990-1290 would be strange, to say the least.
A fine-grained offering is welcome for shoes or shirts, for bikes, I am a bit skeptical ...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think it's important to see RANGE CHOICE globally and commercially.

I have lived enough places to understand that the incentives/disincentives, financially and otherwise in different countries makes model palettes a very tricky thing. Not to mention laws.

I can remember when some countries outright banned "over 100bhp". And certainly as little as a decade ago - many mfrs had to offer a detuned version of "beasts" for those markets.
There is the whole LAMS/A2 license thing.
How useful is 120bhp (or more) in a country where the speed limit for a M/C is 70kph (and it's a HUGE market) ?

Not all markets want (maybe allow) some of the stuff like adaptive CC - I have thought quite a bit about it as much of my riding/driving is on fast highway.
I could have had it in the car but decided against it. I believe it forces me to be more attentive - especially when I have my OCD long distance "iron butt" brain mode activated.
There is about a 50mile/80km stretch of Autobahn where back in the 1980's I rode basically unaware of how far I had gone.

KTM (group) is part of the global consortium to develop universal fit batteries for M/C - That should be an indication of the future. And that future is NOT that far away - depending on where you live.

The 990 thing is being presented as a response to Euro6. The block is suggested as being different (bigger) than the 790/890. This is a HUGE cost. But certainly in Europe could be a winner if EU6 M/C are finally issued with "ecological" certification - it seems likely here (in Spain).

The old block may live on sleeved down Eu6 - as I have seen rumours of a 500cc version. But who knows.

Personally I would like more torque than the 790D has. Weight and power are fine. and anything 200kg-ish with 100bhp-ish would be fine. But I woulds like a bit more bottom end. 15-20% ish - is my gut feel.

What is currently a personal peeve is SEAT HEIGHTS. Not just KTM. Gentlemen of Mattighofen - just coz we're shorter does not mean we're slower. Your own GP riders can explain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is currently a personal peeve is SEAT HEIGHTS. Not just KTM. Gentlemen of Mattighofen - just coz we're shorter does not mean we're slower. Your own GP riders can explain.
Haha, I'm with you on this !
But this is a lost cause : guys (and gals) from the new generation are simply taller.
Just look around yourself ... ;)

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
34 Posts
With Ducati releasing all their V2's, I have a feeling KTM felt like they needed to up the displacement to look relevant. I hope it's a 990 SMT return and not another Duke. A VFR800 alternative is still needed in the KTM line. The 1290 GT is just too big and the Adventure is too hardcore. The Duke R was my stopgap for something like what I'm dreaming a 990 SMT could be. I still hope the adaptive cruise can be retrofitted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 890 Duke makes slightly more power than the new Monster 937cc motor (and nearly identical torque) so I'm not sure how it would be perceived as a relevancy problem. Sure the KTM carries a few more pounds but now we're splitting hairs. Most people are hyper focused on HP figures over weight and torque anyways. Just look at the majority of the hyper-nakeds as an example. 200HP means nothing to the vast majority of (street) riders if all the power is at the top of the rev range. It's not much more than bragging rights. Give me torque and low weight any day for the street.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Haha, I'm with you on this !
But this is a lost cause : guys (and gals) from the new generation are simply taller.
Just look around yourself ... ;)
Maybe - but NOT in the emerging (growth) markets.

And I know here that one reason Guzzi sells so many of the V7 is seat height.
The Spanish overall are not that tall. And ladies even less so.

Like I say - the global market is very regional still.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts