KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'20 Street Triple 765
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking to Pretty Wife this afternoon after my ride this morning and she said something to the effect of "It sounds like you have already had the first 3 phases of most relationships with your new bike..." so I did what I always do, which is smile and nod, then offer to do chores. :p

Phase #1 - The Honeymoon - (0 -1000kms)

We all know the signs of the honeymoon, in fact I gushed all about it here with my "First Impressions" Thread 10-12 weeks ago now. Total lust, infatuation, sneaking a peek every time you walk past the garage, twisting every conversation with your riding friends to magically be about your new amazing bike, yada yada...

Phase #2 - The Rough Patch - (1000-6000kms)

In real relationships I'm a firm believe that troubles are almost always a two way street and there are rarely innocent parties. Well, in this one I throw that theory out the window and I paint myself as pure as the driven snow, and the 890R the demon spawn from Hell. :mad::ROFLMAO:
It's a long laundry list of issues, I'll just bullet point them here:
  • warped front brake rotors (picked up at first service - 1000kms by Tech, replaced with new pads as well @5800ms)
  • CSS X FOUR replacements - each one lasting anywhere from 100-1600km's before deciding Motorex is best outside the engine rather than inside it.
  • Leaking Brake fluid Reservoir (at 4000kms)
  • Squealing/chirping chain (at 2500kms)
  • MAP Sensor Failure (replaced at 5800kms)
  • Oil burning - since the first service I've had to put in 725ml to keep it in the mappy spot of 1/2 way up the red circle (when checked hot, let stand 5 minutes, and on a level surface - all while rubbing my belly and tapping my head - crikey what a convoluted set up KTM!)

This phase had me file for divorce. I scheduled an appointment at my local dealer for the bulk of the fixes (rotors, reservoir, MAP, 4th CSS, etc...) and then once it was all done - for sale ads were posted up. Turns out I'm not cut out for "Euro Charms" and just want tools/machines that work. In this day of technological wonder, I find it unacceptable that a $16,000 top spec new machine could have soooo many niggles.

Phase #3 - Therapy, a cool down period, and a second chance (6000kms-7800kms/current)

I told myself that one more issue and I was bringing the bike back to the dealer with all the parts and keys, and saying send me a cheque for what I paid or let me know when my brand new 890R arrives and we can try this from the beginning again. Thankfully I have an AMAZING local KTM dealer who worked with me, took my concerns up the chain to the bosses at KTM Canada, and even though I was THAT guy who everyone dreads hearing from - they never shirked from their responsibility to make sure I was looked after. Badgering KTM to approve items not usually covered (chain), communicating with me at every step of the way, and getting parts in ASAP and scheduling in service appts immediately to get me back on the road every time.
So - after all the final warranty repairs and new parts were done a few weeks ago, knock on wood it's been perfect. This CSS is still bone dry after 1800kms, new DID chain is amazing (so much less rolling resistance), rotors and pads are bedded in and are sublime, and so on... It just plain works.

Is it still for sale?

Yes. Sadly I'm the type of guy who has a long memory and holds a grudge far too long.

Am I content to keep it and ride it if I don't get any takers?

Absolutely. I've had some of the best rides possible the past few weeks on it - weather is great, roads are mostly traffic free, and the bike has been bulletproof.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For the CSS there is an updated part, the new one is on the left, same part number:

(pic courtesy taken from KTM Duke 790/890 FB group)
Make sure the dealer knows about the updated part, if you have this issue, so hopefully you don't get through 4 CSS change, like YoungLion did.
I understand that these kind of issues take away confidence in the bike...

Also, there is an update for gasket valve cover, that should solve the leaking issue:
Updated part number. 63536053100
Original part code ... 63536053000
(790 2020 and the new 890r still have the old gasket)

hope this helps for anyone that have those issue

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for providing such great information. Sorry to hear about your troubles and you are very fortunate to have a dealer that works with you. Hope it all works out in the end for whatever is best for you.

Very concerning all the issues you are having though as my VIN is very close to yours. Probably made on the same day so if someone had a bad day on yours it probably affects mine too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hate to hear about all the issues you've had with the bike. I also don't blame you for having it up for sale. When there are so many other solid bikes without problems, it's hard to swallow having to deal with them repeatedly. That said, the 890 for me is a unicorn, fitting pretty much everything I want in a bike perfectly. I hope you don't experience any other issues.
Side question - did the upgrade to the DID chain make that big of a difference?

·
Super Moderator
'20 Street Triple 765
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Van - EVERY replacement seal was the updated 2 piece kit you show pictured. I haven't had any valve cover leaks just yet - fingers crossed.

Thanks @Wavshrdr !

@watarski - I honestly can't feel any power or acceleration differences, my happiness is mostly in how quiet it is but also when you had my bike on a rear stand and spin it with the OEM chain it would spin say 1-1.5 full rotations but now it's 3-4 rotations with the new chain - so much freer! My wife gets roped into spinning my rear tire for me as I apply cleaner or wax to it and she's a very happy camper with the new chain on LOL.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Your wife is a keeper! Does she ride too? Sad to hear that the newly redesigned seals didn't help. Maybe it is KTMs idea so you don't need your wife to spin your wheel for you and they gave you autolubing chain option at now cost.

·
Super Moderator
'20 Street Triple 765
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your wife is a keeper! Does she ride too?
Yes she is, and she used to - still has her license but hasn't ridden in the last 20 years.

My only frustration with KTM and the chain is they deny every other request for warranty and approve mine - it shouldn't be like that - we ALL have the same issue so don't pick and choose who gets approved.

Pic of my "keeper". I'm the poster child for the "6" who tricked a "9.5" to marry him. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
HEY!!!! Where did you get that picture of MY WIFE!!!
(JK)

Reactions: YoungLion

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2009 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Buell XB12Scg, 1993 Yamaha Vmax.
201 Posts
Yes she is, and she used to - still has her license but hasn't ridden in the last 20 years.

My only frustration with KTM and the chain is they deny every other request for warranty and approve mine - it shouldn't be like that - we ALL have the same issue so don't pick and choose who gets approved.

Pic of my "keeper". I'm the poster child for the "6" who tricked a "9.5" to marry him. :)
9.5 eh. I hope your wife doesn't see that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You always need to leave some goal on the table. What is there to push yourself to if you're already there? Lap times, etc. Your wife's a very nice lady, 9.5 or not.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Always call them a 10 on a public forum. (y)

While I love my wife, she isn't much of a rider yet but still working on it. She had never even bicycled until about 5 years ago when I finally got her to try it and now she loves it. Bought her a Can Am Ryker and that has helped a lot. At least I get her our riding with me and maybe someday on a motorcycle. She likes puttering around on a little scooter we have so that helps.

As for the sprocket leak, how was your chain tension?

·
Super Moderator
'20 Street Triple 765
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Always call them a 10 on a public forum. (y)

As for the sprocket leak, how was your chain tension?
I'm with Rick - a 9.5 keeps her striving for personal growth! LOL... I can talk tough knowing she'll only ever read this if I kick the bucket and she stumbles across this forum on our home PC (love you baby!).

Chain tension we tried in a few ways - tighter end of allowable spec, mid way, and loosey goosey - it had no effect on the reliability or longevity of the new replacement seal kits - there was no correlation to how long they'd stay dry for.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My new DID chain has been sitting on the shelf for 2 weeks, patiently awaiting the arrival of the bike. Thru this forum, I've learned why I have the squeaking chain problem on my 1090R every 200 miles, and there's a new DID sitting on the shelf for that one too.
Sorry to hear of all your troubles. Hoping for better luck with mine, and I'll be biting the bullet and paying for the extended warranty.

·
a d m i n .
151,082 Posts
I'll be biting the bullet and paying for the extended warranty.
Last I heard, KTM didn’t offer an oem ESC. Unless you’re buying an aftermarket ESC, in which case I’d real the contract read carefully.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So I was talking to Pretty Wife this afternoon after my ride this morning and she said something to the effect of "It sounds like you have already had the first 3 phases of most relationships with your new bike..." so I did what I always do, which is smile and nod, then offer to do chores. :p

Phase #1 - The Honeymoon - (0 -1000kms)

We all know the signs of the honeymoon, in fact I gushed all about it here with my "First Impressions" Thread 10-12 weeks ago now. Total lust, infatuation, sneaking a peek every time you walk past the garage, twisting every conversation with your riding friends to magically be about your new amazing bike, yada yada...

Phase #2 - The Rough Patch - (1000-6000kms)

In real relationships I'm a firm believe that troubles are almost always a two way street and there are rarely innocent parties. Well, in this one I throw that theory out the window and I paint myself as pure as the driven snow, and the 890R the demon spawn from Hell. :mad::ROFLMAO:
It's a long laundry list of issues, I'll just bullet point them here:
  • warped front brake rotors (picked up at first service - 1000kms by Tech, replaced with new pads as well @5800ms)
  • CSS X FOUR replacements - each one lasting anywhere from 100-1600km's before deciding Motorex is best outside the engine rather than inside it.
  • Leaking Brake fluid Reservoir (at 4000kms)
  • Squealing/chirping chain (at 2500kms)
  • MAP Sensor Failure (replaced at 5800kms)
  • Oil burning - since the first service I've had to put in 725ml to keep it in the mappy spot of 1/2 way up the red circle (when checked hot, let stand 5 minutes, and on a level surface - all while rubbing my belly and tapping my head - crikey what a convoluted set up KTM!)
This phase had me file for divorce. I scheduled an appointment at my local dealer for the bulk of the fixes (rotors, reservoir, MAP, 4th CSS, etc...) and then once it was all done - for sale ads were posted up. Turns out I'm not cut out for "Euro Charms" and just want tools/machines that work. In this day of technological wonder, I find it unacceptable that a $16,000 top spec new machine could have soooo many niggles.

Phase #3 - Therapy, a cool down period, and a second chance (6000kms-7800kms/current)

I told myself that one more issue and I was bringing the bike back to the dealer with all the parts and keys, and saying send me a cheque for what I paid or let me know when my brand new 890R arrives and we can try this from the beginning again. Thankfully I have an AMAZING local KTM dealer who worked with me, took my concerns up the chain to the bosses at KTM Canada, and even though I was THAT guy who everyone dreads hearing from - they never shirked from their responsibility to make sure I was looked after. Badgering KTM to approve items not usually covered (chain), communicating with me at every step of the way, and getting parts in ASAP and scheduling in service appts immediately to get me back on the road every time.
So - after all the final warranty repairs and new parts were done a few weeks ago, knock on wood it's been perfect. This CSS is still bone dry after 1800kms, new DID chain is amazing (so much less rolling resistance), rotors and pads are bedded in and are sublime, and so on... It just plain works.

Is it still for sale?

Yes. Sadly I'm the type of guy who has a long memory and holds a grudge far too long.

Am I content to keep it and ride it if I don't get any takers?

Absolutely. I've had some of the best rides possible the past few weeks on it - weather is great, roads are mostly traffic free, and the bike has been bulletproof.

View attachment 4988
darn annoying at the least - If you were in the Kootenais or BC west of there i'd ride my 790 up there and swap you - mine is perfect without ever having a single issue in 9000 miles - Of course I'd put a few shekels in to sweeten the deal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts