KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys so tempted to buy but have heard few problems with oil leaks coolant etc probably just normal moaning .are most bikes ok everyone happy etc many thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi guys so tempted to buy but have heard few problems with oil leaks coolant etc probably just normal moaning .are most bikes ok everyone happy etc many thanks
I think KTM have had a few assembly issues - or rather some quality control failures to be honest.

It's possibly to be expected from a small(-ish) manufacturer as they have ramped up production on a new model and I think they have struggled to keep on top of QC.

That said, I had a coolant leak from the radiator top hose (hose was weeping internally - replaced under warranty) and a weird small brake fluid leak from a badly installed line entering the ABS unit under the tank. Both fixed within a couple of days by my dealer under warranty.

I was obviously annoyed by these things on a new bike but these things happen. They were fixed quickly by my dealer and neither has changed my opinion of the bike now I've had it while - it's just so awesome to ride, with perfect ergonomics for me, a fantastic engine and great neutral handling, it really is a peach of a bike.

It's probably the best bike I've owned for just enjoying riding it, the way it makes you feel - it always puts a smile on my face when I head out. It's so light and easy to wheel in and out the garage too. There are more and more aftermarket bits and pieces appearing on the market too to change the things you want.

You can get a skewed view of any bike as you only seem to hear about the ones that post about problems they find rather than those that have no problems and just ride them.

Get yourself a test ride and see what you think - you'll love it - but you already know that :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers dma yep that's what I thought every review has bad points thanks for the info , The trouble is just been looking at the 890r now 😩😩😩😩 ffs lol, some really good deals on the 790r just need to decide 😁

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
444 Posts
Cheers dma yep that's what I thought every review has bad points thanks for the info , The trouble is just been looking at the 890r now 😩😩😩😩 ffs lol, some really good deals on the 790r just need to decide 😁
Welcome to the forum Cornish!

Has Euro/Brit pricing been announced yet on the 890R and what is it compared to MSRP on the 790 - before deals and whatnot? Oh, and do dealers have an ETA for them to arrive on the showroom?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Younglion I can get a new 2019 790 for £6995 the new 2020 890r is £10400 think available from march could be wrong

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
444 Posts
Hi Younglion I can get a new 2019 790 for £6995 the new 2020 890r is £10400 think available from march could be wrong
And both of those figures are full MSRP not discounts on either?

3400 pounds is a **** decent bump in price - wowza.

For reference, whats an new SD1290 msrp there?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
444 Posts
Welcome Cornish!
I’m guessing your 790D price is discounted from retail?
My thinking is the 890R will be 3-$3500 over 790D pricing.
Agreed - I guess $4000 CDN over the $11,999 MSRP for the 790 so $15,999 - smack dab in the middle of the 790 and 1290SD which is now $20k I think for '20.

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's possibly to be expected from a small(-ish) manufacturer
Smallish? - They are way up there with the big players - We (I am guilty too) think of them as small or new players - but they are not.

2020 890R 12.499,00 EUR
2020 790D 9.999,00 EUR
2020 1290R 19.900,00 EUR

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys yes the 2019 790 is a discounted price prob to get rid of 2019 stock while new 2020 model comes think originally they were £8400

·
Registered
144 Posts
Best bike I've ever ridden especially for commuting to work and canyon riding. PERIOD.

If you're going to buy used, make sure all of the issues have already been fixed by the previous owner while the bike was still in warranty.
If the bike is still in warranty, why would you worry? Just have it fixed.

If you are going to buy it new, why worry? You have two years warranty.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Last night, while I was eating dinner with my wife, I told her that it was so much fun riding the bike. I then made the stupid mistake of telling her that I was curious about "trying" all of the electronic riding aids like lean angle ABS and traction control. Being an off-road rider herself, she looked at me with an annoyance face and proceeded to tell me how dumb I was to even think about trying it because the riding aids are meant to save my ass and not to "try it" out. After that, I just went back to eating my dinner quietly.:surprise:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Last night, while I was eating dinner with my wife, I told her that it was so much fun riding the bike. I then made the stupid mistake of telling her that I was curious about "trying" all of the electronic riding aids like lean angle ABS and traction control. Being an off-road rider herself, she looked at me with an annoyance face and proceeded to tell me how dumb I was to even think about trying it because the riding aids are meant to save my ass and not to "try it" out. After that, I just went back to eating my dinner quietly.:surprise:
Wise woman you have there. :wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Smallish? - They are way up there with the big players - We (I am guilty too) think of them as small or new players - but they are not.

2020 890R 12.499,00 EUR
2020 790D 9.999,00 EUR
2020 1290R 19.900,00 EUR
... *grin* they are small if you compare them to Honda ;-)

Honda sold over 20 million bikes worldwide in 2019 - KTM around 250k.

Pierer have plans though - think they are targeting 400,000 odd bikes per year in 2022. They are really aggressively going for numbers in emerging markets with smaller capacity and electric models.

Interesting times are ahead for the entire automotive industry.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
Welcome Cornishman, enjoying our lovely current weather :grin:

If you are going to buy it new, why worry? You have two years warranty.
This ^ , make sure you find a decent dealer, the dealer I originally got mine from spent 3 months troubleshooting a coolant leak that another place solved in about 30mins.

Won't be going back the original place in a hurry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Owl yea weather shocking 😩, I know my dealer pretty well and dealt with them for years so all good cheers

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
It's a great bike and you will not regret.

I had zero problems with the bike so far. Some have had more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts