KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Just bought a second hand 790D - really pleased with it but looking to make a few mods including a tail tidy (one that uses the OEM indicators). I've read a few posts about tail tidys putting the right rear indicator close to the stock exhaust and this has caused the plastic on the indicator to melt. Is this mostly an issue for bikes without LED indicators (i.e. USA spec bikes)? Anyone with stock LED indicators (UK/euro), tail tidy and stock exhaust melted their indicator?

Haven't quite got enough funds at the moment to change the stock exhaust for a slip on to potentially mitigate this problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome, I would say that yes they’ll melt as soon as you push your bike. It is straight in line with the exhaust.
But some tail tidy comes with an heat shield deflector (like the R&G), if place in the correct angle it will be good. My stock US flasher melted right away, now i have led that seems similar size to the euro ones end i have no issue.
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the R&G tail tidy with the heat shield and it's not completely effective. I haven't deformed the housing as of yet, but it definitely gets a little to warm for comfort.

My 1090R turn signals are looking like a viable alternative, not LED so no flashing issues but a much slimmer shape to the housing that looks like it will avoid the heat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome, I would say that yes they’ll melt as soon as you push your bike. It is straight in line with the exhaust.
But some tail tidy comes with an heat shield deflector (like the R&G), if place in the correct angle it will be good. My stock US flasher melted right away, now i have led that seems similar size to the euro ones end i have no issue. View attachment 4479
My 890 duke is on the way and i would like to change does ugly chunky turn signals !! Do you know some who are plug and play? Thank you

I have the R&G tail tidy with the heat shield and it's not completely effective. I haven't deformed the housing as of yet, but it definitely gets a little to warm for comfort.

My 1090R turn signals are looking like a viable alternative, not LED so no flashing issues but a much slimmer shape to the housing that looks like it will avoid the heat.
My 890 duke is on the way and i would like to change does ugly chunky turn signals !! Do you know some who are plug and play? Thank you

·
Registered
407 Posts

The cleanest / simplest (but not the cheapest) solution is to just get a set of the KTM EU LED indicators and then get the dealer to enable LED mode in the service dash settings.

If you go any other route you will need to mess around with resistors and do some cable splicing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The cleanest / simplest (but not the cheapest) solution is to just get a set of the KTM EU LED indicators and then get the dealer to enable LED mode in the service dash settings.

If you go any other route you will need to mess around with resistors and do some cable splicing.
Okay thank you! I’ll talk to my dealer!! If i decide to keep them but install a fender eliminator will the stock exhaust melt them?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think it depends on the fender eliminator and the exhaust.

The standard exhaust seems to point straight at where a lot of fender eliminators position the indicators - I think that's why a lot of people who fit a fender eliminator use a replacement slip-on.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
tbh I think the tail tidy brigade would do a different pipe anyway. But from a POV of detail. My WINGS definitely points outwards rather than straight back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
tbh I think the tail tidy brigade would do a different pipe anyway. But from a POV of detail. My WINGS definitely points outwards rather than straight back.
Yeah the wings slip on is a beauty!! How do you like it? Im looking for a deep sound but not something crazy loud!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The WINGS with dB killer in MAY actually be marginally quieter than stock. WINGS say 3dB loader without - and this may well be the case as Many EU MoT permit a variance of approx 3dB in exhaust volume. 3dB is twice as loud. Does not sound twice as LOUD though.

My critique of the WINGS without dB killer was that the exit hole looks even bigger than it is somehow. It was getting the wrong looks from policemen. And so a made up a shiny Aluminium finisher that slips in and has a slight reverse megaphone effect. Makede a teensy change to volume and tone - but it is still (IMO) a very agreeable measure of both.

I could probably pass teh Spanish MoT with the dBK in - though I would refit it - and maybe even refit stock. We'll see. Another 2 years yet!.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The WINGS with dB killer in MAY actually be marginally quieter than stock. WINGS say 3dB loader without - and this may well be the case as Many EU MoT permit a variance of approx 3dB in exhaust volume. 3dB is twice as loud. Does not sound twice as LOUD though.

My critique of the WINGS without dB killer was that the exit hole looks even bigger than it is somehow. It was getting the wrong looks from policemen. And so a made up a shiny Aluminium finisher that slips in and has a slight reverse megaphone effect. Makede a teensy change to volume and tone - but it is still (IMO) a very agreeable measure of both.

I could probably pass teh Spanish MoT with the dBK in - though I would refit it - and maybe even refit stock. We'll see. Another 2 years yet!.
Great thank you for the feedback!! I’ll do my research!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Great thank you for the feedback!! I’ll do my research!!
Worth mentioning that they will do some customising at no extra cost. i.e. I asked if the CF parts could be matte - no problem. also asked for them to leave the badges off.
They are starting to offer black pipes for some models (at extra cost) so if one asks - well maybe......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Worth mentioning that they will do some customising at no extra cost. i.e. I asked if the CF parts could be matte - no problem. also asked for them to leave the badges off.
They are starting to offer black pipes for some models (at extra cost) so if one asks - well maybe......
Thank you bud!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the R & G tail tidy with led flasher from eBay 2pcs Amber LED Turn Signal Blinker for 790 2017,RC 125 2013-2017 | eBay
That will be plug and play. The heat shield that come with the tail tidy does not work with the stuck US flasher. Also the heat shield is not installed straight, I aligned it with the exhaust. No issue in over 10k km

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
495 Posts
Yes they look very good indeed!!! I just want it to be as easy as possible to install!!
I installed 2 front sets of Yoshimura Sequencial (didn’t need the rear brackets/relay) along with the plug and play connectors and one set of resistors at front. Everything works great, no hyper flashing or dash errors. I wish i could post a video (no option on phone posting) but the sequencing is awesome 🙂
Zoopla said he just needed two resistors. (y)

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
495 Posts
The Yoshimura sequential led turn signals look good!
Turn Signal My iPad did not handle the gif download real well. So I included the link.
View attachment 6204
I watched the YouTube video of these being installed on a Honda Monkey. The sequential lighting of the turn signal was to fast. I think he needed a resistor added. I think we will need one on the Dukes as well. I just got my Yoshimura tail tidy and led lights. I pick up my 890 tomorrow. I’ll update on the install.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts