KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a tank ring on mine also, with a Bags Connection tank bag mounted to it. I have also ran Kriega’s on the rear seat as in the photo below. When I owned a Street Triple that’s how I traveled. I’ve not done any longer rides on the Duke and, honestly, have been thinking of selling it because I have other bikes and a few health issues the past two years have really impacted my riding. But...I’m starting to rethink that idea now. If I keep it, I will add the KTM panniers.

I know we are talking luggage, but on a somewhat travel related question: anyone mounted handguards on their 790? I like them for weather protection. Thanks.
Nice solution @Shep - great minds and all that!

Sorry to hear about your health issues affecting your riding - hope you get to ride more this year.

It's not quite as toasty as the all-weather solution @barbagris has but I did fit some SW-Motech KOBRA handguards with the extensions just before Christmas.

My test rides were in <10ºC weather and there was still a little chill on my hands with the standard guards (I was riding in summer gloves) so I added the small extension set too. They attach with a few self-tapping screws so are easily removed.

The angles of the KOBRAs match the style of the Duke front end and blend in really well with my fake-carbon wrapped PP screen.

I don't have photos right now as the bike is covered in the back of the garage due to some building work going on here - will grab some next time I can.

·
Registered
843 Posts
FYI - I have been out recently in 5°C and lower (near a river) and I can ride happily in summer gloves ( KNOX-COVERT ). Obviously more toasty in lined gloves.

With the BBZ I have ridden the R3 for hours non-stop in torrential rain/sleet at 90mph-ish and my hands were dry. it was so cold that I had my jaw clenched and cracked a tooth. Only discovered when I arrived home and thawed out a bit. But my hands were fine.

Engine Bars are Givi.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have the SW motech cargo rack installed. That lowered the bag by about an inch and gave me anchor points for the straps. I have the $30 Motocentric bag, and I sprayed the logo with fabric dye to make it black. The size and shape is nearly perfect for the bike. However I like to have really nice stuff, so I'm still on the hunt for a higher quality bag. The moto works, but being a cheap bag it doesn't have a zipper to keep it short, it relies on three straps so it's a little floppy. Also I have to keep pushing it back with my ass as it creeps into my cockpit space.

I really want the SW Match Ion 7-15l bag, but it's just dang pricey right now. I'm exploring $100 options.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well I spent all morning thinking and researching and decided to go with a SW motech EVO tank bag. Based off the idea earlier in the thread about the Givi tank ring, I found out the SW Motech EVO series has a tank ring made just for the cargo seat rack that I'm using. The holes are already there. Since I already have 2 large bags for trips, I think the smaller "day pack" at 12x8x6 inches will be my main stay bag for daily riding. If I need to leave the bike parked, I can pull the lanyard and the bag pops off. With the ring on there, I can always get a larger bag in the future. If I need to do a longer trip or be out at night, I can strap on the motocentric bag on top of the ring and have all the storage I need for the extra visor, etc.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I have the $30 Motocentric bag, ....... Also I have to keep pushing it back with my ass as it creeps into my cockpit space.
The Motocentric bag doesn't creep forward if you loop the rear strap over the solid rail at the back. Ive had mine for a year with no problem at all. Also just completed a 2000 km short tour with a 10 litre yachting dry bag held on top of it with Rok straps. It worked really well.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
The Motocentric bag doesn't creep forward if you loop the rear strap over the solid rail at the back. Ive had mine for a year with no problem at all. Also just completed a 2000 km short tour with a 10 litre yachting dry bag held on top of it with Rok straps. It worked really well.
Have any pics?

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Have any pics?
Here's a close-up - does that help? Right in close to the bag, you'll also see a cable tie. What I do is loop the surplus length of strap into it to stop it flapping about. I've also attached a photo of the loaded bike from my recent tour for interest. I simply held a 10 litre yachting dry bag on top of the Motocentric tail pack with Roc straps, then put a stretchy cargo net over the lot. I don't do a lot of touring and don't like fixed bag installations as I think they spoil the looks of the bike so I made do with what I had to hand. Worked perfectly.

Attachments

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
Here's a close-up - does that help? Right in close to the bag, you'll also see a cable tie. What I do is loop the surplus length of strap into it to stop it flapping about. I've also attached a photo of the loaded bike from my recent tour for interest. I simply held a 10 litre yachting dry bag on top of the Motocentric tail pack with Roc straps, then put a stretchy cargo net over the lot. I don't do a lot of touring and don't like fixed bag installations as I think they spoil the looks of the bike so I made do with what I had to hand. Worked perfectly.
Thank you, nice setup.

·
Registered
843 Posts
On the SW-Motech rack thingy you could also bolt the blighter on. Wont move then. I was looking at options AGAIN this morning.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
Any options out there for super slim and small rear seat bags - I usually only pack my phone, wallet, a small visor microfiber cloth and tiny spritzer bottle of shield cleaner - no large items are need for larger stuff.

Something 6" X 8" or close to those dimensions and maybe 1-2" tall max that straps onto the rear seat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
My SW Motech Evo Daypack showed up today. I can't decide if I want to mount it forwards or backwards. Looks like the perfect size for day to day. They make a micro one that might work for YoungLion. I still need to mount the ring to the plate and the bag. I'll report back how it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
My SW Motech Evo Daypack showed up today. I can't decide if I want to mount it forwards or backwards. Looks like the perfect size for day to day. They make a micro one that might work for YoungLion. I still need to mount the ring to the plate and the bag. I'll report back how it works.
The pic on the right... mount it that way.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Aesthetically - I think I prefered the Motocentric - It filled the space better (to the extent I am looking at them) - but it's not my bike. I'd mount it as per second photo too (zipper tags at the back).

Need to find a seat-rack solution. I don't like the two options all that much. My thoughts are more - Find the bag - then get a mate to make me a matching base using a passenger seat pan and Fibreglass. He's good.

But I do like the quick release idea. Maybe with matching clip, on the tank. I don't need much space - But would like a set of light waterproofs handy. Off to look at Givi bags - Simply because I like Givi stuff. But did find a "copy" of the Motocentric on Amazon Spain - PRIME and cheaper. And no stoopid letters. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hmmm... Maybe I should exchange the SW Moto bag for the next size bigger? I still have the tags on it. Then it'll be about the same size as the motocentric but have the quick detach ring.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I decided to return the SW daypack, it doesn't look right. The larger sport size I think will be too big.

Back to the motocentric: I spent some time with the straps and cut them to size. Here's how it sits now. It just has the perfect tapered fit for this bike. I just wish I could find one the same shape with a quick release fitting.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 68 Posts