KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
My Wolfman 20L tail bag fits. It's pretty tall though- great for trips, but a little much for running around town. I'm hunting for a shorter 7-10L bag for daily use. The SW-Motech 7L tail bag looks great, but it's $175. Ouch.
35BC43A1-27D0-44BB-BAC1-003EDEDB3CDB_1579655571753.jpeg 6ADA8A24-9250-4B2E-B60F-96EDD8339FD1_1579655550394.jpeg

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a Nelson-Rigg Commuter Sport tail bag for mine, it was inexpensive and fits everything I need for a day out. 16L, 22L when expanded, and I have no problem swinging my leg over in new leathers. It took a few minutes to get the straps sorted out, now I just have to slide the passenger seat through the straps and click the seat back down and I'm off in 30 seconds. Any bigger and it wouldn't fit perfect between my butt and the rear grab rail. It doesn't budge whether I'm trying to keep up to faster riders in the twisties, or being an idiot taking a Duke up a bunch of fire access trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don’t host photos anywhere so I don’t think I can post one but I use the Wolfman Peak Tailbag on the rear seat of my Duke. Fits well, not too big but expands if you need it to. Good for everyday, probably too small for a trip.

·
136 Posts
Shep, unlike many other forums, you can upload pictures directly from your device. No need for hosting. Let's see it. 🧐

·
136 Posts
Shep, my last post is incomplete. You CAN upload files directly from your device to thread posts.

If you want to to attach files to private messages, you will need to use a hosting service.

·
A d m i n .
151,135 Posts
@Shep

I use an iPad Pro as well, it’s great for the Forum!

Click ‘Quick reply’, ‘Go advanced’, under ‘attach files‘, click ‘Manage Attachments’, add a bunch of fotos..

btw: One can actually link fotos (those that are saved in your user albums), and send them via pm, so a hosting site isn’t required.. :angel: @GOTJ

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had thought of adding one of these to the rear seat of my 790 to better accommodate a tail bag or duffel. I used one of these on my 690.
I fitted one to my Duke last summer:

o https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/586-790-duke-aftermarket-parts-accessories/1260-pillion-luggage-rack.html#post12206

I added a Givi tank ring and small Givi 5L bag - it's perfect for commuting to work and for day rides too.

You can lash anything to the rack with straps or a cargo net - recommended if you don't take pillions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I don’t do big tours these days but next month, I’m attending a conference with some mates and we’re going to take the long way down and the long way home, taking 6 days in all. I’ve had a trial pack with all the gear I need and thought I’d share some photos.

Didn’t want to buy extra storage just for this trip so assembled stuff I already bought over the last 10 months.

The first is the Motocentric tail pack which I’ve already posted photos of. Contains a few tools, puncture repair kit and I’ll stick a pair of light shoes in it too. Lots of attachment points for other storage bags. Delivered price ex eBay NZ$55 (27GBP, 36USD)

Yachting 10 litre dry bag. NZ$24 (12GBP, 16USD). Local purchase. Holds clothes, mainly non-iron quick dry.

Rok rubber straps NZ$25 (13GBP, 17USD). Local purchase.

Stretch cargo net 16” x 16”. Additional security but can hold rain gear etc for quick access. 8 hooks which attach to the tail pack and the grab rail. Delivered price ex-eBay NZ$10 (7GBP, USD)

I’ll also wear a backpack which I bought years ago, just for a few extra clothes etc.

We’ll be staying in fully equipped cabins so don’t need to take bedding. I reckon it’s quite a tidy setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I ordered that SW motec seat cover- it's on backorder until Feb 21st.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I fitted one to my Duke last summer:I added a Givi tank ring and small Givi 5L bag - it's perfect for commuting to work and for day rides too.
Mate - you really do think outside the box with your mod's. :wink:

I am looking to do something similar - though different. EVENTUALLY.
I thought I'd found a damaged rear seat to convert yesterday - sadly sold.

May I recommend a "matching" (well OK not matching but it is Givi) tank bag. The EA106B.
Honestly could not believe my luck when I tried it on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a tank ring on mine also, with a Bags Connection tank bag mounted to it. I have also ran Kriega’s on the rear seat as in the photo below. When I owned a Street Triple that’s how I traveled. I’ve not done any longer rides on the Duke and, honestly, have been thinking of selling it because I have other bikes and a few health issues the past two years have really impacted my riding. But...I’m starting to rethink that idea now. If I keep it, I will add the KTM panniers.

I know we are talking luggage, but on a somewhat travel related question: anyone mounted handguards on their 790? I like them for weather protection. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mate - you really do think outside the box with your mod's. :wink:

I am looking to do something similar - though different. EVENTUALLY.
I thought I'd found a damaged rear seat to convert yesterday - sadly sold.

May I recommend a "matching" (well OK not matching but it is Givi) tank bag. The EA106B.
Honestly could not believe my luck when I tried it on.
Thanks mate - I enjoyed planning that one; figuring out which bike specific tank flange plate I needed was the hard bit: turns out it's just the regular 790 one (BF37).

I too considered finding a second donor rear seat so I could quickly swap between the two but once I'd done the mod I never thought about it again as I don't plan to ever take a pillion.

I looked at the EA106B but at the time had discounted magnetic ones. I take it it fits the front end of the Duke nicely? I like the shape - it seems pretty narrow and compact which is good for the front.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts