KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best small/mid size tail bag for the duke? I want to carry my rain gear and other small items.

Ogio Stealth? KTM small tail bag? The larger KTM tail bag says it doesn't work with stock exhaust???

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
What's the best small/mid size tail bag for the duke? I want to carry my rain gear and other small items.

Ogio Stealth? KTM small tail bag? The larger KTM tail bag says it doesn't work with stock exhaust???
All good moves, as long as you're keeping your 'zorst stock, as nearly no one here has done... :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went through my motorcycle gear bucket and found out I still have my Wolfman tail bag! Now to see if it get it to fit.

·
136 Posts

All good moves, as long as you're keeping your 'zorst stock, as nearly no one here has done..
The mounting of the seat bag that I referenced wouldn't be impacted by a different exhaust. There may be others that are. 🙄

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
The mounting of the seat bag that I referenced wouldn't be impacted by a different exhaust. There may be others that are. 🙄
Good intel!

Hey Zimm,

Since you're moving to Italia, don't forget to post up all the cool exhausts made from there. :smile_big:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately there are bound to be issues with the mounting of any soft rear luggage on a high level side mounted exhaust *

Forget putting anything under the seat of a 790 ! Squeeze a disc lock in if you careful !poor design of under seat arrangement.

There is a rather nasty looking after-market heat shield available from R&G ? to deflect the hot gases away , this is an option.

Hard luggage as above thread is available but is expensive & bulky when using the bike day to day .

KTM akrapovic fitting means you can have neither so further limit on your options .

Why not try a givi front fuel tank direct mounting bag ? This is what I use from day to day ,a small 5 litre bag & use a bigger 35 for carrying more on longer trips .

Best thing is they are secured directly to tank & don't use scratch magnets & of course you can't lose sight of it ..no problem so far.

Additionally i use a full waterproof 35 litre Oxford bag mounted on rear with a few additional tie down straps for security ( avoiding exhaust gas of course)

Rucksack can be worn as well , but riding on long journeys limits the Fun factor of the 790 when road conditions allow .

But overall the 790 Duke I find more road/track focused & feel the adventure bike would be a better bet for touring .

So anything luggage wise will always be a compromise ...

·
Premium Member
282 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
But overall the 790 Duke I find more road/track focused & feel the adventure bike would be a better bet for touring ...
That's what I thought until I saw this

My original plan was to see if I liked the 790 by getting my second hand 790D and then get an ADV later on.

But now.........

Attachments

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts

My original plan was to see if I liked the 790 by getting my second hand 790D and then get an ADV later on.

But now.........
I agree with this. I mean really, unless you're doing seriously aggressive ADV off-roading, moddin' the 790D seems much more practical.

Also, although I'm above average height, (6'1"), I find many of these big wheel/higher clearance ADV motos super-tall.

While not an issue for me, but for others (of more or less average height), I think it could pose a problem, especially on uneven terrain..

·
Registered
843 Posts
I agree with this. I mean really, unless you're doing seriously aggressive ADV off-roading, moddin' the 790D seems much more practical.
And they're really rather basic mods. I mean if somebody wants to gift me an 890Adv when they appear I wont be rude and turn it away - unless they offer me a 1290GT (or R) in it's place. But a hibrid Dukeventure sounds OK to me.

That Puig screen is only 100€. Bar risers- 23€ (I have them :wink:) - And after a good look I am also smitten by the MOSKO MOTO travel gear, I already use Barkbuster hand covers,

So just need a spare set of rims to off-road-ify!.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’d like to see a close up of how that Mosko Moto Reckless fit on that bike. Looks like the 40 liter version. I have some of their luggage but never considered using the Reckless on the bike before.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I’d like to see a close up of how that Mosko Moto Reckless fit on that bike. Looks like the 40 liter version. I have some of their luggage but never considered using the Reckless on the bike before.
I would be highly appreciative of ANY feedback on their gear. Good or Bad. I am considering getting some gear for a trip to India. Not immanently.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have two of their duffels. I’m a fan. They are durable and have a lot of nice touches that make them particularly useful...smaller bags for fuel (or in my case a beer growler!) that can be attached via the molle system. The beaver tail system allows you to strap a jacket or wet item away from the rest of the luggage for easy access or drying out and the back side can hold a large map footprint for quick reference. They are not inexpensive but should prove to last a good while. I’ve been using one of the duffels for 3 years and bought the other last year (a Scout and a Backcountry).

·
Registered
843 Posts
The RECKLESS concept sounds really good to me. My only issue is I would like to see a sample or two close up before splashing out. I would have said from the website - that is the 80L version. So seeing would be important. And I like the Backcountry duffles too.

I have always used hard luggage on my distance bikes, with a soft bag on the rear seat for the 24h on the ferry (with PC etc too). So I really wish I'd seen them before for the ferry bag. Usually a tiny tank bag for absolute essentials - coins for toll roads etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts

But now.........
Do you know the origin of the photo? I’d love to know which size Reckless they are using: the 40 or 80. I’m guessing 40.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts