KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
303 Posts
I fitted a rapid bike easy this weekend and it has sorted the jerkiness alot all i get now is very slight hesitation but i can cruise a low speeds and highly recommend it, a guy does a fitting video on YouTube helped alot took me about an hour to fit, no engine light just runs how youd expect, i wouldn't change sprockets unless i wanted to change pull off or top speed but im happy with the duke now no crazy engine jerkin
What is a rapid bike easy?

·
Registered
133 Posts
After following the conversation here particularly with @Hookedup01 & @Eon790duke (thanks guys) I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket yesterday (16 down to 15) but left the rear as is and just adjusted chain tension to suit.
Way better around town. Comfortably cruise in traffic at 50/55 kph in 3rd and 4th from 60/65+. Easier get away in 1st also - all in Street mode.
(No need to drop down to Rain mode in traffic any more to even things out.) & FYI @fredaroony Bolt Hole Biker has now updated his chain tension video.

·
Premium Member
KTM 790 Duke
46 Posts
Just changed out the front sprocket to a ktm oem damped 15 tooth, lve owned my 790 since December 2019 all I can say it's like night and day difference the gearing is so much better now using 6th so much smother and the acceleration :oops: I should have done this modification ages ago big thanks to campbell zero one with moose as always 😎(y)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I changed my front to 15t and I love it every time I ride I didn't bother changing the rear and I did have to adjust the chain which of course was loose anyway
and I did go with a good damped front sprocket they were only like 30 bucks for me I think it's the best mod I ever did to bike

·
Registered
36 Posts
I fitted a rapid bike easy this weekend and it has sorted the jerkiness alot all i get now is very slight hesitation but i can cruise a low speeds and highly recommend it, a guy does a fitting video on YouTube helped alot took me about an hour to fit, no engine light just runs how youd expect, i wouldn't change sprockets unless i wanted to change pull off or top speed but im happy with the duke now no crazy engine jerkin
Hi, have a rapid bike evo too sitting in the garage, the instructions I got with are a bit vague and not the best quality either, I’m going to have a look at a video on how to install, I was not keen on the idea of t onto the loom, the connector looks a bit flimsy

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
303 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I decided to go 2 up on the rear. It was difficult to find a 43 t sprocket bit finally got one from Sunstar. I would have preferred for it to be black ....
I just realized I have no pic of the rear.
Anyway, that change was enough to smooth out the ride and make the ride through the twisties more enjoyable.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
I was looking for a 16-->15 conversion or even for a 15/42. Then I started tracking the bike. I am running out of RPM pretty quickly and lowering the gearing will not help. Staying OEM for the time being.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
303 Posts
I was looking for a 16-->15 conversion or even for a 15/42. Then I started tracking the bike. I am running out of RPM pretty quickly and lowering the gearing will not help. Staying OEM for the time being.
That would depend on the track. Low gearing is not for long straights.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I've never regretted the 16->15 thing. it does allow the little beastie to spin up fast. But surprised you're hitting redline in higher gears.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Not necessarily higher gears, just on the way up. probably through 4th. Shortening the ratios will juts make this worse.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm giving -1 in the front (15T) a try.
Observations after a couple of commutes are nothing unusual for this mod.

• RPM range is noticeably higher.
  • 1 on gear for the same speed
  • torque
++ torque coming out of corners
  • snatchiness
  • acceleration per gear
+ acceleration overall

The bike feels faster off the line because I can dump the clutch more aggressively, no idea if this is a placebo but it feels fun.

The mod took about 30 mins to complete and cost $25 AUD

41 - 54 of 54 Posts