KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Would that not require a shortening of the chain?
It did not on mine. My 15T was actually fitted at a dealer - took 10minutes ( it was a "i'll do it now if you want" thing) - Was 1 flat (1/6th turn) on the adjuster screw. Yes - they let me watch.

I'm not sure I'd want to shorten gearing much more. I do some motorway work and if it were much shorter I think it would be too revvy. I'm off out in 20 mins or so, and I'll make a note of the KMH:RPM ratios in 5th and 6th. At about 5Krpm. OK?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Would be great if you could. If I'm forced to do motorway work I'll cruise at an indicated 75 to 80mph. I'm guessing it'll be in the 5-6k rev range, which I'm happy with. Rarely use anything above 4th on an A or B Road so not fussed if the revs are higher in those gears as it's rarely held at one speed

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ordered the KTM front sprocket today. I had to check there was no problem with clearance getting the sprocket off - I had to loosen the swing arm pivots on my 1190 Adventure just to get the sprocket off as it was too close to the frame rails! And am I right in thinking that the speedo will still read correctly after the gearing change?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Would be great if you could. If I'm forced to do motorway work I'll cruise at an indicated 75 to 80mph. I'm guessing it'll be in the 5-6k rev range, which I'm happy with. Rarely use anything above 4th on an A or B Road so not fussed if the revs are higher in those gears as it's rarely held at one speed
So 5000rpm - about 112kph in 5th - 70mphish - about 124/125kph in 6th - 78mph-ish - indicated. The top gear 5000rpm is close to 120kph (GPS).
The issue is that the rev counter is not all that precise. it goes up in steps (i think 250rpm - maybe 330)
imo even at 1 tooth shorter front - 6th is still a 110kph (70mph-ish) up gear - maybe 60 up if you're trundling.

Would I add an extra rear tooth or even more? - That depends.
If you do much highway riding - NOPE.
If you want to pop more wheelies - probably.
If you want to do stunts - add as many as you feel works. I have seen 59 tooth rears.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Ordered the KTM front sprocket today. I had to check there was no problem with clearance getting the sprocket off - I had to loosen the swing arm pivots on my 1190 Adventure just to get the sprocket off as it was too close to the frame rails! And am I right in thinking that the speedo will still read correctly after the gearing change?
Yup - speed is based on front ABS ring rotation speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Might as well throw my 2 cents in. Dropped a tooth up front. Installed a non dampened sprocket only because I couldn't find a dampened in stock. No difference in sound or vibration. Biggest difference in gearing for me are 4th & 5th gear. Pulls hard from bottom to top. Can come into corners a gear higher, and excellerate faster coming out. Bike actually tracks your line smoother. Woke my 790 up a little. Best mod so far. Have piped it, different tires, and played with the air box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Might as well throw my 2 cents in. Dropped a tooth up front. Installed a non dampened sprocket only because I couldn't find a dampened in stock. No difference in sound or vibration. Biggest difference in gearing for me are 4th & 5th gear. Pulls hard from bottom to top. Can come into corners a gear higher, and excellerate faster coming out. Bike actually tracks your line smoother. Woke my 790 up a little. Best mod so far. Have piped it, different tires, and played with the air box.
@Hookedup01 god info, thanks for posting. This is a bit of a newbie question but can I confirm that you didn't need to change chain length after adding the extra tooth upfront it was just a chain adjustment? Also, my 2 cents worth. I just changed the OEM brake pads for EBC FA244HH and its been a great move. More progressive, better feel and way more bite.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
129 Posts
@Hookedup01 god info, thanks for posting. This is a bit of a newbie question but can I confirm that you didn't need to change chain length after adding the extra tooth upfront it was just a chain adjustment? Also, my 2 cents worth. I just changed the OEM brake pads for EBC FA244HH and its been a great move. More progressive, better feel and way more bite.

BTW, he DROPPED a tooth on front, not added.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts