KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was replacing the chain I gave everything a good clean. Could see some grit under the chain guide and was presented with this when I removed the bolt to inspect
馃槺

Registered
Well mine looks similar and I wonder what the hell happened here. Then I remember that after removing chain guide I spun the wheel a few times to clean the chain and the chain was rolling/rubbing on the swing arm. But Im sure the chain would not make such a damage, it must be something else. No idea. :(

Registered
Mine had that too when I removed the bolt to give it a good clean. The guard isn't tight against the swingarm so dirt gets under it and vibrates away. I was disappointed, but I get why it happened.

Registered
790 Duke 2020
Thanks for highlighting this issue. It might be worthwhile for us all to check this area. Maybe we could paste some black RTV rubber sealant along the swing arm, under where the chain guide fits, to act as a grit cushion. Or simply scrape of factory paint and then etch prime and Hammerite black. Anything is worth a shot. Fortunately the swing arm is alloy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Mine had that too when I removed the bolt to give it a good clean. The guard isn't tight against the swingarm so dirt gets under it and vibrates away. I was disappointed, but I get why it happened.
Same way I look at it and not much can be done about it unless you're going to frequently clean it. Really needs another bolt or two to secure it

Premium Member
Yep, definitely grit getting getting smacked into the swingarm by the chain. Thanks for the tip - I have it too. Have just added some JB Weld Black to seal it. It's a great flexible gasket sealer. Used it on the outside of the cam cover gasket semi-circles because of slight oil misting until the cover comes off at the next service. Worked a treat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts