KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen - Help!

Anybody who has experience advice. Please.

In the image below - Part 20 and parts 21. Part 21 on the right side came out fine. But the left side there is simply no way. It slackens of the right side and part 2 spins freely.

I do not want to drop out the swing arm - but I need to get the footrest plates off and these are held in place by said bolt 21. I smell threadlock!.

I'm off to look at the workshop manual - but the copy I have is not indexed so I cannot search.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't have any direct experience but page 57 of the "2018 KTM Duke Service Repair Manual.pdf" doesn't even mention the left hand side bolt at all.

This is after unbolting the shock bottom bolt... it just says:

"Remove screw (7)" ... this shows an image of the right hand side bolt into the swing arm
"Remove the swingarm pivot"
"Take off the swingarm"

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So - Though my local dealer is shut for the COVID-19 thing. They have replied to email - And - it is a known issue. Any goo and the bugger gums up and the spindle just spins in it's bearings.

Their reply was also worded such that getting the pivot out might well be easy enough (I suspect from he schematics it involves a hammer) - but getting it back in is a whole different matter.

So I shall endeavor to get the blighter to lock up on the right as they suggest, and if not - have them do it when I ask them to put the 15 tooth front sprocket in.

My manual shows the LH bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
So - Though my local dealer is shut for the COVID-19 thing. They have replied to email - And - it is a known issue. Any goo and the bugger gums up and the spindle just spins in it's bearings.

Their reply was also worded such that getting the pivot out might well be easy enough (I suspect from he schematics it involves a hammer) - but getting it back in is a whole different matter.

So I shall endeavor to get the blighter to lock up on the right as they suggest, and if not - have them do it when I ask them to put the 15 tooth front sprocket in.

My manual shows the LH bolt.
Yes, I'm an idiot - swap left and right in my post ;-)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also just had a really close look at the schematics. There are different bits in the swing-arm bearing setups left and right.

I forsee some expense/wait . Cant block the right side at all.

Though I have an idea if I can find some M12 bolts. All I have are fine threads. Trouble is - everywhere here is currently shut. I'l shout over the fence at my neighbor tomorrow - maybe he has some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts