KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of trading my 790 for the 790 adv r. The duke has been great but lately had the itch to do some exploring and a bit of offroad riding. Anyone have any experience with Adv R? I imagine it will be similar to my 790, with a bigger gas tank and a wind screen.
I have always thought the 790 is a lot like a supermoto bike and maybe the adv r will be the same except more offroad.
Having been couped up for a few months has really made me want to travel.
I know this is the 790 forum but hoping some of you have had chance to ride the adv r.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You're going to have to be really honest with yourself with regards to "a bit of off-roading." How much dirt bike experience ("skill") do you have? Realistically, how often will you go on these "adventure" rides to justify shelling out over $10k? I'm in the same boat. I'm coming from a lot of off-road experience; street riding is "new" to me. Personally, I would look into the Yamaha TW200, XT250, or the Kawasaki KLX230. It's all about the "fun factor". Riding an easy dual-sport motorcycle is way better than a heavy adventure bike. Two drops of an adventure bike within an hour will ruin your day. All of your energy will be gone, and it won't be fun anymore.

·
a d m i n .
151,048 Posts
I am thinking of trading my 790 for the 790 adv r. The duke has been great but lately had the itch to do some exploring and a bit of offroad riding. Anyone have any experience with Adv R? I imagine it will be similar to my 790, with a bigger gas tank and a wind screen.
I have always thought the 790 is a lot like a supermoto bike and maybe the adv r will be the same except more offroad.
Having been couped up for a few months has really made me want to travel.
I know this is the 790 forum but hoping some of you have had chance to ride the adv r.
in the interim, why not just use your 790D for light trail ridin/fire roads, and see if you enjoy that more. If you find yourself longing for more adv riding, then you can always swap out to the 790, (soon to be 890?), adv.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
the 790, (soon to be 890?), adv.
Originally it was the ADV that was suspected of being the first 890. I love the 790ADV fuel tanks.
Some brilliant protection gear available too.

But it would take VERY little to turn a 790D into a "sort of Adv". Mud and Snow tyres are available.

Here's the photo that got me thinking

I'm sort of on the way - though I doubt I'll do the knobblies.

·
Super-Moderator
115 Posts
Let's also not forget that ADV's are T A L L. So if you're vertically challenged, you may want to stick with modding your 790D as your ADV rig. 🤐

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm doing that!
Got the 790 duke for when my Multistrada is on boats or planes going to or coming from somewhere else.
Was riding from Vladivostok to London via Nordkap, June to Sept 2020, but for obvious reasons that's not happening.

With too much time to think, I'm swapping 790D to a 790ADV R and going the back way, through the 'Stans , Iran and Turkey to Europe 2021.
Only hold up is the release date of the Husqvarna Norden it's got the 890 motor.
If it's available in my area early 2021 I'll get it.
Want to do the swap with enough time to get a few thousand KM's on it before I start trip in 2021.
I haven't done a lot of off road riding. I'm from the "learn on the job" school.
Chris Birch has a video series on ADV training

·
Registered
20 Posts
I explore all kind of gravel and dirt roads and some paths with Duke. Soft front suspension limits speed when road comes bumpy enough. Street tires are ok for me, but they are very slippery in muddy, wet or snow conditions. I go to TKC80s when I wear out of front tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts