KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
The most crazy idea I have heard on this forum. Probably will squeeze on the rim if you can get a fitter to do the job. Then the chain will likely just touch when it is on.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
141 Posts
It would increase unsprung weight and might feel odd when leaning, due to contact patches changing the geometry. It would be quintessential "Style over function". You risk reducing that lovely nimbleness of handling. Don't do it!

·
Registered
277 Posts
While it's not my thing, I think people should still be respectful of your taste, choice and hard work. It's your bike dude do what makes you feel right 😉
As for the tire I'm not quite sure maybe a 190 might be better in this instance.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
141 Posts
Hi Abyy.
Don't be put off by our initial reactions to your question. You are of course welcome on this forum and as Bill rightly said, its your bike and do whatever floats your boat. It just that your swing arm mods and proposed bigger rear tyre will, to some unpredictable extent, negate the nimble character of the Duke that most of us love. Each to their own Old Boy!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

No point going a wider tire without a wider rim. Then clearance likely will be an issue. On too narrow of a rim, the tire will just be my rounded and you'll end up with even less of a tire contact patch which sort of defeats the purpose of a wider tire in the first place.

If just for looks, well that is your call. Did you do the extension for looks or to try and tame the wheelies (assuming you have the track pack and have the race mode enabled)? Didn't know anyone made extensions for the 790 and would have never thought there was a demand for them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

No point going a wider tire without a wider rim. Then clearance likely will be an issue. On too narrow of a rim, the tire will just be my rounded and you'll end up with even less of a tire contact patch which sort of defeats the purpose of a wider tire in the first place.

If just for looks, well that is your call. Did you do the extension for looks or to try and tame the wheelies (assuming you have the track pack and have the race mode enabled)? Didn't know anyone made extensions for the 790 and would have never thought there was a demand for them.
Not sure about the rest of the years but in 2020 track mode came already equipped Just FYI

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.