KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, excuse my newbieness. Does anyone know where I can get the details of the stock suspension set up for 2019 Duke 790 ie front forks/spring rate, rear shock type and valving and standard rear spring rate? I'm feeling like the bikes pretty good out of the box for my 84/85kgs (with fullgear) but am keen to understand the baseline before considering any upgrades/changes. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
181 Posts
The front springs are wimpy progressives, and the valving is pogo-stick spec. When I had mine out to put Andreani cartridges in I was testing them on the floor. Zero compression damping felt, and one leg had just a faint whiff of rebound damping at the very bottom of the stroke. Only the finest WPogostick. The rear spring is also a progressive, and I had to back my rear preload off when new to get any static sag and not get tossed off over minor bumps.

Your owner's manual page number may be different from mine, but Chapter 23 (Technical Data) lists the info (my page 270/271) for suspension specs. The progressive springs don't let you easily just swap to straight-rate springs by rating, and as I said when I was swapping stuff out "progressive springs are NOT a replacement for valving!" All you really need to know is changing front and rear suspension makes a big difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm feeling like the bikes pretty good out of the box for my 84/85kgs (with fullgear)
I think you're very near the target for the stock set-up. I'm in the 100Kg range and will absolutely be seeking upgrades.

The front springs are wimpy progressives, and the valving is pogo-stick spec.
LOL.. This was my first thought about 9 miles into ownership

I'm very interested in hearing your review of the Andreani cartridges. Did you do replace the shock, too?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front springs are wimpy progressives, and the valving is pogo-stick spec. When I had mine out to put Andreani cartridges in I was testing them on the floor. Zero compression damping felt, and one leg had just a faint whiff of rebound damping at the very bottom of the stroke. Only the finest WPogostick. The rear spring is also a progressive, and I had to back my rear preload off when new to get any static sag and not get tossed off over minor bumps.

Your owner's manual page number may be different from mine, but Chapter 23 (Technical Data) lists the info (my page 270/271) for suspension specs. The progressive springs don't let you easily just swap to straight-rate springs by rating, and as I said when I was swapping stuff out "progressive springs are NOT a replacement for valving!" All you really need to know is changing front and rear suspension makes a big difference.
Thanks @Rick appreciate the detail. Did you make any changes to the rear setup apart from backing off the pre-load. If you don't mind me asking what is your weight on the bike with gear?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to @Rick for the heads up. Here's the pics from the manual if anyone needs to reference..
IMG_20200910_095947.jpg
IMG_20200910_095908.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm very interested in hearing your review of the Andreani cartridges. Did you do replace the shock, too?
The main twisty road we have here (goes out of town along the coast, gets you away from complainy neighbours) is very rough from decades of frost heaves and logging trucks. Rear got a Nitron R3 to handle the sharp hits and still manage the rolling lumps/whoops. My front and rear sags are set for compliant street (front: 23mm static 38mm rider in street gear, rear: 6mm static 36mm rider in street gear). Valving for the Andreani cartridges is set to full soft and they're lovely on our shite road (I was skipping around on the road before as the stock forks would jump without valving). I left them soft for 3 track days and still had an inch and a bit of travel left below the zip tie on my forks.

Thanks @Rick appreciate the detail. Did you make any changes to the rear setup apart from backing off the pre-load. If you don't mind me asking what is your weight on the bike with gear?
Rear got a sexy Nitron R3 just before I put my cartridges in. When I ordered it all I was 185 lbs + 25 lbs leathers/etc. The cartridges were one of the last things to escape Italy before they shut down for Covid, so now I'm +10 lbs haha. I had to raise my front height 6mm to try and get the Andreani adjusters to clear my ProTaper handlebar (can still only get to the 2nd most forward bar position), so I raised the rear 10mm to match plus a bit for better turn-in (still very close to Dave Moss's swingarm angle recommendation).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main twisty road we have here (goes out of town along the coast, gets you away from complainy neighbours) is very rough from decades of frost heaves and logging trucks. Rear got a Nitron R3 to handle the sharp hits and still manage the rolling lumps/whoops. My front and rear sags are set for compliant street (front: 23mm static 38mm rider in street gear, rear: 6mm static 36mm rider in street gear). Valving for the Andreani cartridges is set to full soft and they're lovely on our shite road (I was skipping around on the road before as the stock forks would jump without valving). I left them soft for 3 track days and still had an inch and a bit of travel left below the zip tie on my forks.

Rear got a sexy Nitron R3 just before I put my cartridges in. When I ordered it all I was 185 lbs + 25 lbs leathers/etc. The cartridges were one of the last things to escape Italy before they shut down for Covid, so now I'm +10 lbs haha. I had to raise my front height 6mm to try and get the Andreani adjusters to clear my ProTaper handlebar (can still only get to the 2nd most forward bar position), so I raised the rear 10mm to match plus a bit for better turn-in (still very close to Dave Moss's swingarm angle recommendation).
@Rick awesome detail thanks. I did about 400km yesterday across a range of roads from smooth fast stuff to bumpy narrow up and downs. Great ride! Point being the stock suspension seemed pretty good ie no pronounced dive, back end tracked well and predictably but your comments have me itching for the next level. I plan on some track riding as part of a school shortly so that should also help the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts