KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to switch to the Michelin Road 5 but the stock tires are not wearing fast enough. I only commute to work. Will the Road 5 that much better even just on the streets? Will the Road 5 turn me into Street Rossi?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put the road fives on mine totally transformed the bike suspension feel so much better turns in better much more confident those Maxis tires are not very good in my opinion should’ve had them change before I picked up the bike but I managed to put 2000 miles on it before I couldn’t take it anymore and had them changed I’ve got about 2000 miles on the Michelin’s now virtually no wear in the center but the edges are wearing a little don’t do much Highway riding Michelin makes a fine tire got the pilot powers on my Ktm 540 motard

Just installed the tail tidy last weekend meant to post that picture sorry for the double still trying to figure this out

·
Registered
2018 KTM,790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2008 Kawasaki KLE500
163 Posts
I want to switch to the Michelin Road 5 but the stock tires are not wearing fast enough. I only commute to work. Will the Road 5 that much better even just on the streets? Will the Road 5 turn me into Street Rossi?
Yes and Yes. Do some burnouts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is your commute like? Town or country? Straight or twisties? Are you having problems with the original tyres and, if so, what problems? Or do you just want to tell your mates you've got really sticky tyres so you look like you can handle the knee down action like Rossi?
If you want to wear your tyres out, go for a ride just for the hell of it. Do some miles. Vary your route and practice the same route. Both will improve your riding while wearing the tyres ready for your wannabe activities.
Or just bin the originals and fit what you want.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I am reserving judgement until I need to ride in the cold/wet. For commuting or general use - they seem fine in the dry to me. Maybe a wee bit lacking in feedback, but that may also be the elec-trickery of TC and ABS etc - I've not had a bike with either before. Sure S22's and Road5's are going to be better - BUT - do you NEED better?.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I changed my tires in July for michelin Road 5 and I hesitated a lot with more sporty but 75% of my trips are to go to work and rather in town. So for that they are perfect.
I did two twisty rides of 300 km, one with my wife and in the bends they hold up very well, but the wear could be fast if you only ride strong in the bends.
I will also ride in winter on sunny days in France down to 0 ° C which explains my choice.
They are also more comfortable than the original maxxis, it's obvious at the first hole or bump.
They are great for me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I commute 40 miles roundtrip in the city with no twisties. At this rate, the stock will last for years! Life is short. Let's have some fun! Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to switch them out. I'm unstoppable with these street Rossi tires!

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
I commute 40 miles roundtrip in the city with no twisties. At this rate, the stock will last for years! Life is short. Let's have some fun! Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to switch them out. I'm unstoppable with these street Rossi tires!
Throw the used tires up for sale, maybe you can offload them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had the Road 5's on my CBR600RR, they're a fantastic tyre. Heaps of grip but still very good in the wet. Was able to pin the throttle in the rain mid corner without any stress. Had one slip going through a roundabout a little adventurously but it was the first rain in several weeks so had a bit of slick to the surface.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nothing says you have to wear them out before you replace them. Get the tires you want and save the stock ones for rainy day. Mine are on a shelf.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Surely a rainy day is when you don't want them! It seems to me they are just taking up shelf space.
You could just chuck em. But on a Saturday when you find a bolt in a tire and want to ride you might be happy to have new set of half decent tires on the shelf.. Lol

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
123 Posts
I put the road fives on mine totally transformed the bike suspension feel so much better turns in better much more confident those Maxis tires are not very good in my opinion should’ve had them change before I picked up the bike but I managed to put 2000 miles on it before I couldn’t take it anymore and had them changed I’ve got about 2000 miles on the Michelin’s now virtually no wear in the center but the edges are wearing a little don’t do much Highway riding Michelin makes a fine tire got the pilot powers on my Ktm 540 motard

View attachment 5396

View attachment 5397

Just installed the tail tidy last weekend meant to post that picture sorry for the double still trying to figure this out
That's a nice poking ride! I like those L?V. Twice pipes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts