KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
153 Posts
So I realized it’s not the bikes stability. It’s the wind. It blows you all over the place here in Houston. Thinking about getting the suspension upgraded though. Do you think it’s worth it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
So I realized it’s not the bikes stability. It’s the wind. It blows you all over the place here in Houston. Thinking about getting the suspension upgraded though. Do you think it’s worth it?
Please don't take this the wrong way but are you a new rider? I've been riding for 29 years, have a stock 790, and find no instability issues with this bike.

Upgrading the suspension is not a bad thing but worth looking at the basics with your bike in it's current form i.e. tyre pressure and rear preload.

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
153 Posts
I had the cartridges installed by FBI. I brought the forks in. The rear is easy. In general, not too bad, if you know what you are doing.
Also for the andreani cartridges. What set up did you go? Beginner/street or advanced? How do they feel.
Please don't take this the wrong way but are you a new rider? I've been riding for 29 years, have a stock 790, and find no instability issues with this bike.

Upgrading the suspension is not a bad thing but worth looking at the basics with your bike in it's current form i.e. tyre pressure and rear preload.
Of course not, I grew up on dirt bikes but this is my first “street” bike. Everything is new to me. Like I said ton of experience on dirt at lower speeds. Not a ton on the road at high speeds.
All info is helpful.

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
153 Posts
Also for the andreani cartridges. What set up did you go? Beginner/street or advanced? How do they feel.

Of course not, I grew up on dirt bikes but this is my first “street” bike. Everything is new to me. Like I said ton of experience on dirt at lower speeds. Not a ton on the road at high speeds.
All info is helpful.
Should I set the sag in the rear and see if that helps? What am I supposed to set it to?

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
If you already have the steering stabilizer on the way, you might want to wait.

Other options:
1. Return it and invest the money in suspension. It will cost more, though.
2. Install it and see what happens.

Setting up your suspension is always the right thing to do. This bike has very limited adjustments. You can at least try to do what's possible and see if there is an improvement.

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
153 Posts
If you already have the steering stabilizer on the way, you might want to wait.

Other options:
1. Return it and invest the money in suspension. It will cost more, though.
2. Install it and see what happens.

Setting up your suspension is always the right thing to do. This bike has very limited adjustments. You can at least try to do what's possible and see if there is an improvement.
So I needed up going with the ohlins rear shock and the andreani cartridges. I can’t return the dampener so now I will have basdicallt a solid set up.

when installing cartridges, is there anything else I need besides the kit itself?

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
So I needed up going with the ohlins rear shock and the andreani cartridges. I can’t return the dampener so now I will have basdicallt a solid set up.

when installing cartridges, is there anything else I need besides the kit itself?
There are many options for cartridges and shock. Andreani is just very good value. Rear can be Ohlins, Nitron, K-Tech, others. Just find what works for you (spec and price). If you are going this way, make sure to order it for your weight. I had very good experience with FBI in Hendersonville, NC. There are other great options, of course.

As far as the install, general fork maintenance tools, if you plan to do the work yourself. You can check out the Andreani installation instructions for more info.

Reactions: Dukester

·
Registered
92 Posts
Really before you go spending 1000s on suspension take the time to properly set your rear preload on your bike. It makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I didn't have nearly enough preload and It made the front end extremely light. (rear squatting too much taking the weight off the front end) I had to tighten it 3 positions before I got it to even a usable spot. The tool to do it is in the tool kit that came with the bike. That being said, i am maxed out on it and need to definitely do the upgrades for my weight, but it makes it at least usable. I take mine up over 130mph on track with the stock suspension and I'm about 250lbs in all my gear without a single wobble.

Little tip, these bikes like to have a little more forward angle than being perfectly level when you are setting your sag. Nothing dramatic though, just enough to get weight on the front

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
153 Posts
Really before you go spending 1000s on suspension take the time to properly set your rear preload on your bike. It makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I didn't have nearly enough preload and It made the front end extremely light. (rear squatting too much taking the weight off the front end) I had to tighten it 3 positions before I got it to even a usable spot. The tool to do it is in the tool kit that came with the bike. That being said, i am maxed out on it and need to definitely do the upgrades for my weight, but it makes it at least usable. I take mine up over 130mph on track with the stock suspension and I'm about 250lbs in all my gear without a single wobble.

Little tip, these bikes like to have a little more forward angle than being perfectly level when you are setting your sag. Nothing dramatic though, just enough to get weight on the front
So I am 5’8 160lbs. Unfortunately I already impulsively bought the entire suspension upgrade kits.
You are saying that I should raise my sag so the rear is higher than the front?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Question I had for you: Was your stock dampener kind of squishy when you physically moved it. Like the entire unit moves forward backward when you use your hand, wondering if this is normal and B if the Matris has an upgraded mounting kit that eliminates this? Thank you!
The damper is mounted on ball pivots so that it does not bind when the steering is moved from lock to lock. This pivot is solid in the axis of movement, and restricting it otherwise will negatively affect your steering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just started working on a Scotts over the bar unit. I have the woodcraft plate and bars. going to do a key delete so the center post can mount to that point. I'll post photos in a week or two.

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
153 Posts
Last week I installed the Matris SDK steering damper. I've ridden the 200 miles and the upgrade is awesome. No more unexpected head shake the stock damper can get you into once and a while. The 790 feels even more planted and worth the cash for the mod. The Matris SDK damper has a high speed dampening circuit and is direct bolt on, so that was an easy sell for me. I do want mention you loose about 3mm of steering lock on each side. I stuck a wheel weights on the bottom tripple clamp so you don't bottom on the damper and I still can lock my steering with the key. I bought the damper from Rottweiler Performance. Great mod you won't regret!
Hello sir, just installed matris sdk and took her for a spin!!! Let me say I can actually ride with no crazy head shake. However when setting up the matris you have to mount it with the same distance on each side of the barrel/cylinder. It calls for 30mm. I set it up and have full range on the left but partial on the right. Did you experience this?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello sir, just installed matris sdk and took her for a spin!!! Let me say I can actually ride with no crazy head shake. However when setting up the matris you have to mount it with the same distance on each side of the barrel/cylinder. It calls for 30mm. I set it up and have full range on the left but partial on the right. Did you experience this?
Did you try adjusting your rear shock?

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
153 Posts
Did you try adjusting your rear shock?
How is that relevant?
Yes I adjusted sag to “6”

I am talking about the steering damper. I have limitation when turning from left to right. Left is totally open but right is very limited. The instructions call for the same amount of space (30mm) on each side of the dampening cylinder where the mount is. I am thinking I have to adjust the center point but wanna see what others did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How is that relevant?
Yes I adjusted sag to “6”

I am talking about the steering damper. I have limitation when turning from left to right. Left is totally open but right is very limited. The instructions call for the same amount of space (30mm) on each side of the dampening cylinder where the mount is. I am thinking I have to adjust the center point but wanna see what others did.
Just follow the instructions from Matris. Try max pre-load on your stock shock and see how it feels. That's with stock steering damper too btw. If you're doing full suspension upgrade: take the bike to a suspension shop. If you still insist on doing it yourself, remember to measure fork height with a digital caliper and write down your stock shock length and sag numbers.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts