KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,
Just wondered if anyone has put spot lights on their duke, i did a search and didnt see anything, so ive put a pair on mine and hopefully those SMIDSY's out there will see me coming, they blend in nicely with the front of the bike, cost me in total £26 ..and a lot of f'ing and jeffing...

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
@Geoff - agreed about the OEM headlight, I think it's really good with a decent spread and excellent range - I don't think I need more lighting to see where I'm going at night!

That said, I've previously always added additional lights on my other bikes to make me more visible to car drivers. I think that three lights in a triangle are better than a single point to make you more visible to others and offer more awareness of your approaching speed.

There's nowhere really to put them on the 790 but @wreckrat has them on the fork tubes - presumably they don't foul the bodywork on full lock?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
@dma - Yep, spread is really important for twisty roads where there's no ambient lighting. The shape of the headlights on my GSX-S1000 and Blackbird gave a very sharp cutoff when leaned over into a bend. It's nice to have early warning of anything likely to move out onto the road in front of you. Whilst we've got nothing in NZ that will eat your face if you run into it, smacking into a sheep or cow is still going to sting a bit 😄 . Because of a sharp cutoff, I had a close encounter with a cow in the road on an Iron Butt 1000 miles in under 24 hours ride a few years back and have no wish to repeat that experience.

·
Registered
414 Posts
@dma - Yep, spread is really important for twisty roads where there's no ambient lighting. The shape of the headlights on my GSX-S1000 and Blackbird gave a very sharp cutoff when leaned over into a bend. It's nice to have early warning of anything likely to move out onto the road in front of you. Whilst we've got nothing in NZ that will eat your face if you run into it, smacking into a sheep or cow is still going to sting a bit 😄 . Because of a sharp cutoff, I had a close encounter with a cow in the road on an Iron Butt 1000 miles in under 24 hours ride a few years back and have no wish to repeat that experience.
Think the UK is very similar for wildlife risks, deer and foxes round here at night, sometimes sheep in the day.

I'm amazed how many bikes get the spread wrong, the 790 seems very good for my pace where I ride.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
There's nowhere really to put them on the 790
Schh tell nobody - Crash Bars!.

The triangle shape thing - Not sure I agree with as a standalone idea - it only works well if all three lights are similar. And headlights are not designed to make you visible - they are designed to put the light onto the road. And good DRL's on modern bikes stand out far more than most cheepo addon aux lights. I had been looking at a set that a huge number of ADV riders seem to be fitting, But at the KTM dealer yesterday I spoke with a guy who had a set fitted and did a day test - was surprised how indifferent they were - really!.

I am trying (albeit not very hard) to find a set of some new lights I saw recently online to test. LED Fog Light Yellow & Spotlight 2 In 1 E-MARK DB 8-BRIGHTSTARTW - Anything NOT ECE approved will get you nothing but hassle here.

The 790D lights are not bad at all - it's just a shame KTM did not fit adaptive lighting as they have on other models. I really don't plan to use the 790 at night that much, but riding the Triumph with Adaptive lighting has spoilt me rotten. If you ride unlit curvy roads - Adaptives WILL change your life for the better. Everything else will be less. Before getting them I did make up my own tilt activated aux lighting, using Aussie sensors designed for mining vehicles. Worked well for those unlit deer infested corners.

The 790D HIGH beam is clever. And the DRL is really good. Dip is good - but DIP has a specific function - and light scatter is not one of them. The DIP is NOT as visible in daylight as the DRL - period. Yes High beam would fix that - but also piss off other road users and attract the cops.

I'm not so impressed with the day/night mode switching as right now we're in mid summer and even at 11AM the blighter switches into night mode (dipped beam) if the tree you pass under is particularly shady. So just when you need some light scatter it gets switched off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not too bad @wreckrat - where did you get them from and how did you wire them up? Are they always on with the ignition?
Not too bad @wreckrat - where did you get them from and how did you wire them up? Are they always on with the ignition?
Evening, the lights and universal brackets are off ebay from china i can send a item number to whoever is interested, i did have to make the U brackets and put another thread hole in the lamps body for extra rigity, the lights fits beautifully just under the headlight and miss the tank plastics on full lock, as i said the more light i can shed down the road the it attracts the attention of the dopey driver..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evening, the lights and universal brackets are off ebay from china i can send a item number to whoever is interested, i did have to make the U brackets and put another thread hole in the lamps body for extra rigity, the lights fits beautifully just under the headlight and miss the tank plastics on full lock, as i said the more light i can shed down the road the it attracts the attention of the dopey driver..
Also the the lights are wired in under the headlight mask, there are accessory connectors there and i used the switched live through a switch on the handlebar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.