KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still using my Alpinestars Corozal dual-sport boots after a year on the 790. They fit the controls really well and have plenty of room in the toe box for my wider feet, but they're too hot in the summer (great on winter trips on the DR though) and they're getting more cumbersome the more I'm hanging off the 790 in quick corners. My boots fit great with modified pegs and pedals on the DR, but I can't shift an Africa Twin to save my life and have slightly less trouble with the 1090 Adventure I test rode, yet they're perfect with out-of-the-box 790 controls so go figure. Weekend twisty runs with a few track days a year was the goal with this bike, and I have leathers and the rest already.

My Corozal's are EU 45.5 (US 11), and I'm usually 10.5-11 for shoes depending on how much space they have at the front. Local on-shelf options are extremely limited right now with Covid (one local dealer has locked doors and literally screams at people over the phone). My wife's work has Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 in 45/10.5 on the shelf but they're just a bit too snug up front, and I worry that 46/11.5 would just be too long and not hold my heel proper. I'd prefer a bit more boot like the SMX-Plus over the SMX-6.

I've tried on a TCX shoe (not full boot) and it was less snug in the toe box vs the SMX-6 in a similar size, but there aren't any full boots to try on. RT-Race is the boot that's caught my eye online but I can't try any on.

Has anyone else come across any general fitment advice between brands? I was expecting to find more discussion online but so far I've come up fairly empty.

·
A d m i n .
151,141 Posts
Those look pretty good. I’m a 13W, and most of the Euro sport boots are too narrow for me.
I generally wear wide US issue surplus combat boots, while they don’t offer the best protection, yet they are very comfy, durable, breath well, water resistant, and inexpensive.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I had better luck with Alpinestars and TCX. I also have multiple Sidi boots, but they are MUCH tighter. The Alpinestars Supertech R Boots are the widest in my closet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I need shoes with wide toe boxes as well. Street shoes I wear Keen because they fit. The most toe room I've found in a motorcycle shoe is TCX although they still cramp my pinkie toe. I can't even get my foot into Sidi. I haven't tried Alpinestars, but I should.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking for these initially after a friend recommended them - sizing info of interest at the 3:05 mark.
He says wide, then it sounds like C width which is narrower than shoe standard D, so I'll have to watch other . He talka real fasta.

Those look pretty good. I’m a 13W, and most of the Euro sport boots are too narrow for me.
I generally wear wide US issue surplus combat boots, while they don’t offer the best protection, yet they are very comfy, durable, breath well, water resistant, and inexpensive.
If I find 10.5W/11W in stores I'm usually excited. Our apprentice is size 16 with massive duck feet, he's pretty ducked when it comes to finding work clown shoes.
My boots didn't protect my ankle at all when I low-sided my DR on diesel in a corner one morning, the bike crunched my left knee and ankle before it slid away. I'm looking to prevent that in the future if it happens again. :/

I had better luck with Alpinestars and TCX. I also have multiple Sidi boots, but they are MUCH tighter. The Alpinestars Supertech R Boots are the widest in my closet.
I've read that about the Supertech boots. Alpinestars is horribly inconsistent with glove sizing, changing from model to model and year to year, so I'm a bit hesitant with just ordering a boot size and it being ok. How would you compare Alpinestars and TCX in general for width?

I need shoes with wide toe boxes as well. Street shoes I wear Keen because they fit. The most toe room I've found in a motorcycle shoe is TCX although they still cramp my pinkie toe. I can't even get my foot into Sidi. I haven't tried Alpinestars, but I should.
My work boots are Keen this go-round, Timberlands discontinued the best boot I've had. I tried to get into a Sidi size 12 dirt boot once and couldn't as well. Check out Alpinestars when you get a chance and see, I've heard complaints from friends about seams ripping on their street boots, but my Corozals are still solid and waterproof after 4.5 years and about 24,000km.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
When ordering the Supertech, I followed advice and got one size up. They come in Euro sizes so it's really closer to 1/2 size US (i.e. instead of 10, a 10.5, etc.).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have wide foot and a tall arch which is really hard to find anything to fit. I have had good luck with TCX boots, they have a wider toe box than most, and are not to hard to put on with my tall arch. I have also used Daytona boots back when I raced, but they were more custom than any other boot I have had. Way too much money for me to spend on boots now though. In my opinion the TCX boots are a good option for people with wide feet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts