KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 790 Duke with 18K miles. My Roadtec 01 SEs are now end of life and am looking for a new set. The Roadtecs have been decent but I didn't like how quickly the rear wheel seemed to square off. If all things were equal I'd just throw on a set of Michelin Road 5s or 6s but can't get out of my mind the numerous references on the web to a seemingly disproportionate number of punctures. That said I'm looking at the Pirelli Angel GTs - not so much the GT 2s as I've read the front tyre circular grooves cause instability over rain grooved on roadwork surfaces. Does anybody have experience on the Duke of the Angels and if they do how were they in terms of dry weather grip and longevity?

80% of miles ridden to date have been on tours, mostly in Europe. My riding style is on the spirited side but certainly not to the limits so I need good handling feedback and confidence that I'll have great grip when I need it. Longevity is important but definitely second fiddle to grip and handling. If no experience with Pirelli Angels then I'd love to hear your input with with respect to the criteria above. Thanks.
Steve

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Steve. My Duke 790 is the same year and near enough mileage as yours so here's my input. Have had Power 5's on since I got it at 4k and needed 3 rears to one front. Wasn't happy at 3500 miles from the rear and have now replaced with Conti Road Attack 3's, as I've had excellent results with the Trail Attacks on previous KTMs. They warm up really quickly, are great in the wet and give good mileage. I'm taking it on track in a couple of weeks so we'll see what absolute grip is like but I reckon they'll be better than I can push them!
Sorry, not had the Angels but they seem to last well, although I've no idea how much grip they give.

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
The Conti Road Attack series is pretty impressive. I have them on my 1290SA. Didn't disappoint me yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Steve. My Duke 790 is the same year and near enough mileage as yours so here's my input. Have had Power 5's on since I got it at 4k and needed 3 rears to one front. Wasn't happy at 3500 miles from the rear and have now replaced with Conti Road Attack 3's, as I've had excellent results with the Trail Attacks on previous KTMs. They warm up really quickly, are great in the wet and give good mileage. I'm taking it on track in a couple of weeks so we'll see what absolute grip is like but I reckon they'll be better than I can push them!
Sorry, not had the Angels but they seem to last well, although I've no idea how much grip they give.
Thanks Ming. I'll look into them. Let me know how they get on on the track. That will be the perfect test, obviously. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
Sure. I had both trail attacks and road attacks on the 1290. Now with the Roads, as this is where I ride. I got a few of my riding buddies to switch to the Contis, such as for Multistradas, and they only have good things to say about them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Huh, I've not long put the Roadtec 01 SEs on my 790, but one reason I didn't go with the Angels was frequent reports of them having a lighter thinner carcass and thus being more prone to punctures. They're still on my list to try though.

The other reason I went with the Roadtecs first was that the Pirellis generally have a stiffer, more supportive racier carcass vs similar Metzelers. I’m fairly light and need some sidewall flex. Having said that, the 01 SE is sportier than the normal 01, and the rear especially has a much stiffer carcass than the 01. (I bought a set of each at the same time, the 01s to go on my VFR750F.)

Dunlop RoadSmart III did well on my VFR: no complaints. Quietly did everything well. RSIV is incrementally better.

I'm a bit of a Michelin fan boy so I'm sure any of their offerings will work for me...but I'm curious to try the others!

Contis are significantly dearer here than everything else, with patchy supply. New variants aren't available, the old stock isn't discounted, and matched sets impossible to find. They're $8-900 a set when everything else is more like $700 and often on sale for nearer $600. Most reports are good, but are they really that much better than Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Metzeler et al? If they get some stock and drop the price I might give them a go next time!

HTH

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
183 Posts
That's 2 out of 2 for the Contis. Thanks Q
I have used Michelin PR4s and Metzeler Roadtec 01 on a couple of other bikes but on my Z900 I used and liked Conti RoadAttack 3s. Our club ride-outs often include some pretty sketchy back lanes and the Conti's worked well and were predictable.

On my 790 Duke I currently use Conti Trail Attack 3, purely for the ability to grip through a variety of surfaces and conditions. But they also grip well during fast road use with the added bonus of progressive breakaway, which suits my skill levels. I will be buying another set when these eventually wear out but no signs of that yet, after 5000 miles. More expensive than many other makes but highly recommended.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh, I've not long put the Roadtec 01 SEs on my 790, but one reason I didn't go with the Angels was frequent reports of them having a lighter thinner carcass and thus being more prone to punctures. They're still on my list to try though.

The other reason I went with the Roadtecs first was that the Pirellis generally have a stiffer, more supportive racier carcass vs similar Metzelers. I’m fairly light and need some sidewall flex. Having said that, the 01 SE is sportier than the normal 01, and the rear especially has a much stiffer carcass than the 01. (I bought a set of each at the same time, the 01s to go on my VFR750F.)

Dunlop RoadSmart III did well on my VFR: no complaints. Quietly did everything well. RSIV is incrementally better.

I'm a bit of a Michelin fan boy so I'm sure any of their offerings will work for me...but I'm curious to try the others!

Contis are significantly dearer here than everything else, with patchy supply. New variants aren't available, the old stock isn't discounted, and matched sets impossible to find. They're $8-900 a set when everything else is more like $700 and often on sale for nearer $600. Most reports are good, but are they really that much better than Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Metzeler et al? If they get some stock and drop the price I might give them a go next time!

HTH
Interesting about the punctures reports. I'll look into but if that's the case then definitely off the list as like I said most of the 18K miles have been on tour in Europe and a puncture is one of the last things you want in the middle of nowhere, where I often find myself. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have used Michelin PR4s and Metzeler Roadtec 01 on a couple of other bikes but on my Z900 I used and liked Conti RoadAttack 3s. Our club ride-outs often include some pretty sketchy back lanes and the Conti's worked well and were predictable.

On my 790 Duke I currently use Conti Trail Attack 3, purely for the ability to grip through a variety of surfaces and conditions. But they also grip well during fast road use with the added bonus of progressive breakaway, which suits my skill levels. I will be buying another set when these eventually wear out but no signs of that yet, after 5000 miles. More expensive than many other makes but highly recommended.
Thanks for this. I'm assuming grip on the Conti Roads would be better that the Trails, right?

·
a d m i n .
151,002 Posts
Interesting about the punctures reports. I'll look into but if that's the case then definitely off the list as like I said most of the 18K miles have been on tour in Europe and a puncture is one of the last things you want in the middle of nowhere, where I often find myself. Thanks
I only saw one forum member mention any issue wt punctures on Michelin Road tires, he did repeat the same post, nearly 6 times…
‘I’ve been using Michelins for the past 25 years street & track, and have one puncture, that I repaired on the side of the road in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
183 Posts
Thanks for this. I'm assuming grip on the Conti Roads would be better that the Trails, right?
Yes, possibly so, but I suspect it’s only marginal. I was half expecting the Trails to be a bit creepy and squirmy but I honestly have not found this to be so. Whether you opt for Road Attacks or Trails you will love the fast warm up and all round predictability.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only saw one forum member mention any issue wt punctures on Michelin Road tires, he did repeat the same post, nearly 6 times…
‘I’ve been using Michelins for the past 25 years street & track, and have one puncture, that I repaired on the side of the road in 10 minutes.
Thanks JD. And that made me laugh.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I never had a single slip on the 1190Adv with TA3'S, even getting it right to the edge. I went for the RA3's on the Duke as I was hoping I might get even more mileage from them, but if the Trails were cheaper I would have gone for them. You can't go wrong with either of them. I had the only puncture I've ever had on a road bike with the rear Michelin Power 5 a few months ago.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The CTAs are OE on the big Adventures. By and large they behave like a pure street tyre - most 90/10 tyres do. Many reports of happy peg-scraping shenanigans and the odd track day. I liked them on my 1190A. But yes technically the upper limit of their tarmac grip will be below a more targeted tyre.

There's posts herein from members running them on the Duke for their improved rough tarmac performance. Sounds like the carcass is designed to reduce fine chatter as you would encounter on coarse chip roads. I considered them for that reason, but moreso on the VFR as I want to track the Duke. You'd expect them to be a bit more puncture resistant for stony gravel roads, too, which may be a plus for you.

But again, for me, $$$. Most road fronts are $250-370 full retail; CTA is $420+.

If you are going down that route, you have to consider the likes of the Pirelli Scorpion Trail, Tourance Next, Dunlop Mutant maybe?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ve ordered a set of Conti Road Attack 4s.

On a separate note, I bought a tyre plug set a couple of years ago. It’s one of those with the vulcanised ropes that you push in, twist the tool then pull out. I’ve not got to use it yet. Question: how long do those ropes stay good for? Mine are in the accompanying holder and inside another bag. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts