KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at replacing the stock chain on my 21’ 890 Duke for reasons I’m sure most of you have experienced. The bike is at 3500 miles currently, I’m having a hard time finding an aftermarket rear sprocket that’s 41T, would it be a cardinal sin to re-use my old sprockets at that mileage? Or should I just order a new chain and new OEM sprockets. Unless someone has a line on a 41T rear aftermarket, I’d really like to stay with the stock gearing it suits my riding style well. Any help would be appreciated, I’ve only ever replaced this stuff on high mileage older Japanese bikes so the world was my oyster.

·
Registered
95 Posts
42T is more readily available and not much of a gearing change.

If you had 15 or 30,000 km on the sprockets and wanted to just replace the chain...hell no. At such short mileage, the sprockets may be in reasonable rather than trashed condition. Also the front wears out faster so you could replace the front and the chain, and continue with the used rear. (I usually replace the front as soon as it looks worn, as that extends the life from the chain and the rear.) It will work, it's just that the life of the new components will be shorter than if it was replaced as a set.

The 390 Adventures have an appalling chain ex-factory. When I replaced ours, about every fourth pin was so loose it rattled, the front sprocket was almost hooked, but the rear sprocket was still in good shape. Either the chain collapsed so rapidly it hardly had time to destroy the rear sprocket, or the rear sprockets have much better hardness. I've kept it as an emergency spare. If the 790D rear is similar, I would have no concerns re-using it at 3500 miles.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
SuperSprox all-steel here are about 30€ - OEM is less than 50 incl all taxes.

3000miles of a chain is really poor imo. My 790 is still on the original factory with 7000kms and still fine.

But personally if changing type of chain (i.e. not replacing with same make) I'd get new spockets anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts