KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new to the forum!

I know its probably been asked quite a bunch but I've been thinking of going for a naked bike. Totaled my new r1 last month (car pulled on in front of me) and as much as I loved it, I just want something more practical but still handle just as well. I've never owned any European bike and have always had that "Japanese reliability" so an 890 would be my first. I've researched tons on the 790 and have saw the oil leaks.. cracked screens, coolant drips, engine cases flaking.. etc.. Would they cure this with the 2020s? I'm the OCD type and don't want any of those issues. I've also had the mt09 on my mind but whats stopping me is the suspension is just terrible. I know this forum is biased but if you had to chose between the 890 vs mt09 with upgraded suspension and wanting a machine that won't see much warranty work. What would you chose? Thanks.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
First of all - welcome!

EVERYTHING in your post leads me to recommend the 890R without a doubt until you mention "without warranty work". LOL...

I've owned both an MT09 (2 actually), a Triumph RS765, and now the 790 and had zero issues with the Triumph and Yamahas but even after my issues with the KTM and given I have the 790 and not the 890R which is by all accounts MUCH better - I'd STILL go for the 790 over the other two, but that's just me.

It's like the "Crazy/Hot" scale - if you want the safe bet go Yamaha for sure, if you want the hotter slightly crazy option go Team Orange.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since you have done your homework, if none of those issues scare you, I don't think you can't go wrong with the 890. Having said that, the MT09 has a phenomenal powerplant and it's an excellent choice.

I had similar goals in mind; I wanted a lightweight naked bike that would excel on mountain roads and smaller tracks. I had two really good choices right around the 400 lbs mark, the 890 Duke R and the Triumph Street Triple RS. You could argue that MT-09 doesn't fall far behind at 425 lbs, but it doesn't have the handling traits of the other two.

Both the 765 and the 890 have great brakes, suspension and handling, but there is one thing that the 890 (and 790) has that the remaining middleweights lack: an IMU. Once KTM brought the IMU to the middleweight class, it changed the game. Sure, the others have traction control, maybe some work better than others, but once you have experienced a good IMU-based T/C, you can feel confident to push the bike much harder than with conventional T/C.

You say your new R1, so I assume it was one of the newer ones with an IMU. Those are some of the fastest track bikes straight from the showroom, in part due to how good their T/C works. It's only a matter of time before the technology trickles down to the middleweights, KTM just happens to be leading the way. If Triumph would have added an IMU to their refreshed Street Triple for 2020, that would've been my choice. I love the triple power plant, they have solid reliability and build quality, and it comes with top of the line components.

If you don't care about the weight too much, you can probably find some amazing deals on a leftover or lightly used Aprilia Tuono, and that's going to be hard to beat when it comes to handling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you don't care about the weight too much, you can probably find some amazing deals on a leftover or lightly used Aprilia Tuono, and that's going to be hard to beat when it comes to handling.
I have a Tuono and can say for sure that the bike handles beautifully, but there is a significant difference in weight between it and the 890R. It takes mote time and effort to get the Aprilia slowed down for a corner, it also doesn't turn in as quick as the 890. I find the 890 a lot more fun and forgiving in the tighter stuff and way more suited to road riding. Also, I think the major advantage of the 890 over the Street Triple RS is the comfort factor. Performance wise they will be pretty close, but I can see spending longer stints in the saddle of the KTM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since you have done your homework, if none of those issues scare you, I don't think you can't go wrong with the 890. Having said that, the MT09 has a phenomenal powerplant and it's an excellent choice.

I had similar goals in mind; I wanted a lightweight naked bike that would excel on mountain roads and smaller tracks. I had two really good choices right around the 400 lbs mark, the 890 Duke R and the Triumph Street Triple RS. You could argue that MT-09 doesn't fall far behind at 425 lbs, but it doesn't have the handling traits of the other two.

Both the 765 and the 890 have great brakes, suspension and handling, but there is one thing that the 890 (and 790) has that the remaining middleweights lack: an IMU. Once KTM brought the IMU to the middleweight class, it changed the game. Sure, the others have traction control, maybe some work better than others, but once you have experienced a good IMU-based T/C, you can feel confident to push the bike much harder than with conventional T/C.

You say your new R1, so I assume it was one of the newer ones with an IMU. Those are some of the fastest track bikes straight from the showroom, in part due to how good their T/C works. It's only a matter of time before the technology trickles down to the middleweights, KTM just happens to be leading the way. If Triumph would have added an IMU to their refreshed Street Triple for 2020, that would've been my choice. I love the triple power plant, they have solid reliability and build quality, and it comes with top of the line components.

Hi Cuban Rider and welcome, lots of good info on this site. Are you the same guy on Youtube riding the S1000XR and did you buy the 890R ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was a very risk averse person, mainly because of my inferior mechanical skill set as in working and replacing gasket and all are alien methods and talk for me. Combine this with poor general warranty from ktm lead me to avoid ktm all these years, until this bike came along. This bike had everything I ever asked of motorcycle gods for long time. Only thing more I want was heated grips and cruise both of which can be added later. The long winded thing I am trying to say is, this bike was a huge leap of faith for me after talking into account everything on paper. And now that I have lived with it rode it ripped on it 100 % worth the risk my friend. I can start to see minimal spots of grease/ oil, could be infamous counter seal thingy or the chain grease/ but I am not bothered, just gonna get it fixed by dealer and gonna go start ripping more, the bike has become an extension of me already and haven’t even spend 1000 miles on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts