KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Top Speed guru
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my 790 Duke yesterday. The bike was in excellent condition with very low miles. Why? In my simple mind I wouldn't be happy knowing the 890 Duke R was the bike I really wanted in the first place, but didn't exist when I made my purchase. The guy I sold it to was tickled. Great power and handling. With the Wings/Coober set up it ran and sounded excellent. I am planning on buying the 890 R next week but my dealer is out and I may have to drive a great distance to even get one. When my 790 pulled out of the driveway with its new owner I realized it did everything I wanted it to. I sure hope the 890 R will justify me losing money on a bike I really enjoyed.
Input anyone?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
Only you can decide if the loss was worth it or not but in my experience, buying motorcycles has always been an emotional not rational purchase so with that in mind - the 890R is VERY similar to the 790 for obvious reasons but the key point is that KTM addressed most areas of shortcoming on the 790 (I'd say all but they haven't fixed the warranty claim issues LOL) and made it a true R bike - it's similar, yet MUCH better.

If you loved the 790 but felt it was just a little short on power, handling, braking - you'll REALLY love the 890R.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congrats and move on! You'll be happier if you don't dwell on it. I'd like an 890 too but I keep reminding myself I was looking at 390's and "splurged" on a 790.

·
Registered
284 Posts
did You leave the coober on the 790 or going to try it on the 890? Congrats looking forward to getting a test ride on the 890 when the arrive in the uk.

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
You gave up some $ for something far better, (there, I said it), no regrets & no remorse, Rocky.

Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
You gave up some $ for something far better, (there, I said it), no regrets & no remorse, Rocky.

Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?
Rocky be eatin' Mom's spaghetti soon enough!

·
Top Speed guru
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did You leave the coober on the 790 or going to try it on the 890? Congrats looking forward to getting a test ride on the 890 when the arrive in the uk.
Sold it with the Coober ECU, hi-flow airbox lid and Wings muffler. I don't see the airbox lid even on Wings site currently.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sold my 790 Duke yesterday. The bike was in excellent condition with very low miles. Why? In my simple mind I wouldn't be happy knowing the 890 Duke R was the bike I really wanted in the first place, but didn't exist when I made my purchase. The guy I sold it to was tickled. Great power and handling. With the Wings/Coober set up it ran and sounded excellent. I am planning on buying the 890 R next week but my dealer is out and I may have to drive a great distance to even get one. When my 790 pulled out of the driveway with its new owner I realized it did everything I wanted it to. I sure hope the 890 R will justify me losing money on a bike I really enjoyed.
Input anyone?
good deal. I was thinking doing the same. I’ve spoke. With my favorite dealer and a couple others in my area. None have an 890. I’m told they only brought 300 to the US.

I’m going to wait for a few months. In the meantime if some one wants take my 790 away from me I’ll do it.
BTW I have the COOBER WI GS set up also. Bike runs beautifully.
Enjoy. If yuh don’t mind telling me what’d you get for the 790. Where you located?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Coober Austria said they don’t believe the tune is the same. They said the initial tune was fine but KTM had a software update planned and that likely would render the 790 tube not suitable for the 890. However that wasn’t a certainty. Since I’m keeping my 790 for now I never followed up with them.

·
Top Speed guru
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good deal. I was thinking doing the same. I’ve spoke. With my favorite dealer and a couple others in my area. None have an 890. I’m told they only brought 300 to the US.

I’m going to wait for a few months. In the meantime if some one wants take my 790 away from me I’ll do it.
BTW I have the COOBER WI GS set up also. Bike runs beautifully.
Enjoy. If yuh don’t mind telling me what’d you get for the 790. Where you located?
I live in Auburn, Ca, northeast of Sacramento in the foothills. Sold my 790 for $8000 which I could have probably gotten more, but needed a quick sale. Had 2600 miles. Just picked up my 890, haven't had a real chance to ride it yet, but initial reaction: wow! Even with stock exhaust the tone is sweet. The power, well, if you give it hard throttle the front end wants to come up, which my 790 rarely if ever did. The front brake is soooo much stronger and I like the new riding position. The quickshifter works great on upshifts, but downshifts it no longer "blips" the throttle, though clutchless downshifts are a breeze. Adding Wings muffler/hi-flow airbox lid and Booster Plug this weekend, then will give a real ride and detailed analysis. So far so good!

·
Top Speed guru
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is "Trouble", my new 890. Just installed the Wings exhaust last night, tonight the Booster Plug and hi-flow air filter lid will be added. Hoping to finally get to go for a decent spin maybe Sunday morning. Then I can give a true assessment. So far pretty excited...

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I live in Auburn, Ca, northeast of Sacramento in the foothills. Sold my 790 for $8000 which I could have probably gotten more, but needed a quick sale. Had 2600 miles. Just picked up my 890, haven't had a real chance to ride it yet, but initial reaction: wow! Even with stock exhaust the tone is sweet. The power, well, if you give it hard throttle the front end wants to come up, which my 790 rarely if ever did. The front brake is soooo much stronger and I like the new riding position. The quickshifter works great on upshifts, but downshifts it no longer "blips" the throttle, though clutchless downshifts are a breeze. Adding Wings muffler/hi-flow airbox lid and Booster Plug this weekend, then will give a real ride and detailed analysis. So far so good!
Hey! I live in Sacramento, and I'm looking for a buddy to ride with. Will you be my friend? :) LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts