KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to install the Woodcraft frame sliders I recently purchased. To install the right side bracket (from riders pov) it's necessary to drain the coolant in order to disconnect the connecting tube from pump to radiator in order to access the lower engine mount bolt. I did so as per instructions, installed the bracket, and filled and bled the system, warmed up the engine all as per instructions in the service manual, let it cool, topped off the radiator and catch tank... done.

When I went for a test ride, I noticed that the @&#*$ engine light is on now! :mad:

And of course the obd connection isn't a standard obd-2 type. :rolleyes:

So now I have to take it to the dealer just to have them read it. Nothing sounded off with the engine or anything like that during my short test ride, so do you think it's safe to ride it to the dealer with the light on?

I'm so annoyed with the bike at the moment... first I got a random immobilizer failure and engine cut (so far happened only once a few days back), now this.

My faith in KTM is not at an all time high right now.

I guess it's worth mentioning I just had the first service done yesterday, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s odd, check the connectors around the coolant hoses. You might have knocked something loose, it could be something simple.
Double-checked, there aren't any connections near the hose I touched, thanks tho. I ordered a 6-pin to OBDII adaptor from OBD Innovations. Should get here Friday but anyway I plan to take it into the dealer before then.

·
Registered
833 Posts
So I decided to install the Woodcraft frame sliders I recently purchased. To install the right side bracket (from riders pov) it's necessary to drain the coolant in order to disconnect the connecting tube from pump to radiator in order to access the lower engine mount bolt. I did so as per instructions, installed the bracket, and filled and bled the system, warmed up the engine all as per instructions in the service manual, let it cool, topped off the radiator and catch tank... done.
That's all rather annoying - and has also made me question buying the RDmoto crash bars because I'd need to remove that same bolt. Oh well - I was in no rush. Let us know what the dealer finds!.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing I could think of where installing the slider bracket may have caused a check engine light to come on is that there are two sets of wires (inside a sheath - black and grey in the pic) that now are compressed up against the frame.

Maybe this is causing some issue since the frame gets really hot at this point, or maybe the compression by itself is doing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
The only thing I could think of where installing the slider bracket may have caused a check engine light to come on is that there are two sets of wires (inside a sheath - black and grey in the pic) that now are compressed up against the frame.

Maybe this is causing some issue since the frame gets really hot at this point, or maybe the compression by itself is doing something?
Hmmmmmm - wonder if they got pinched at all. :sad:

Edited - from the photo in the non-leak thread - are those the wires to the two Lambda sensors?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmmmm - wonder if they got pinched at all. :sad:

Edited - from the photo in the non-leak thread - are those the wires to the two Lambda sensors?

Correct. Just in case the wires did get pinched and cut, I'm going to remove the bracket before taking it in. Trying to avoid spending $200 on new sensors + wires :grin:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure you'll get 'er squared away quick. Crazy that you have to drain the coolant to install protection.
True. Though it'd seem that any slider bracket that uses that bottom engine mount bolt would face the same issue (bottom engine mount covered by coolant connector)... unless someone clever on here can suggest a better way?

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
I'm sure you'll get 'er squared away quick. Crazy that you have to drain the coolant to install protection.
True. Though it'd seem that any slider bracket that uses that bottom engine mount bolt would face the same issue (bottom engine mount covered by coolant connector)... unless someone clever on here can suggest a better way?
I installed the same sliders and there is no easier way, you need to drain the coolant or you will have a nice spill in your garage.

FYI I didn’t have a check engine light come on after installing mine. I would definitely double check the routing on those wires and make sure they aren’t compressed or binding. You can tuck them in there from what I remember.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
The evotech sliders were similar in that I had to route the wires around the bars. I chose the path of least resistance and managed to get them outside the bar so they wouldn't have a chance to be pinched or overheat. Hopefully if you relieve the pressure on them it fixes the issue. It could be just a random light also, completely unrelated. That really sucks you have to drain the coolant. I think I would have sent them back if I had to go through all that. Good luck at the dealer. If you manage to run a diag on it, post up the code and issue.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The evotech sliders were similar in that I had to route the wires around the bars. I chose the path of least resistance and managed to get them outside the bar so they wouldn't have a chance to be pinched or overheat. Hopefully if you relieve the pressure on them it fixes the issue. It could be just a random light also, completely unrelated. That really sucks you have to drain the coolant. I think I would have sent them back if I had to go through all that. Good luck at the dealer. If you manage to run a diag on it, post up the code and issue.

Yeah having to drain the coolant is a big negative of these sliders. I'm heavily considering returning them and purchasing Hepco & Becker guards.

·
242 Posts

Yeah having to drain the coolant is a big negative of these sliders. I'm heavily considering returning them and purchasing Hepco & Becker guards.
I was surprised by that as well, but it was a good time to switch to engine ice!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, no OBD reading necessary. I re-drained the coolant, took the slider bracket off, and sure enough one of the wires was cut :mad: ****, now I have to fork over $90 for a new O2 sensor plus whatever it'll cost to have it installed.

Sigh...

·
242 Posts
Well, no OBD reading necessary. I re-drained the coolant, took the slider bracket off, and sure enough one of the wires was cut /forum/images/smilies/mad.gif ****, now I have to fork over $90 for a new O2 sensor plus whatever it'll cost to have it installed.

Sigh...
At least you know what it is now, it could have been worse. Let us know if you want pictures of how we routed our wires.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
I was surprised by that as well, but it was a good time to switch to engine ice!

Dude! Did you put in engine ice? I don't want to hijack the thread, but I posted in another section about this asking if anyone runs it. How is it? Do you see any differences in temps while running? I have 4 bottles sitting in my garage that I have been contemplating putting in the bike since I got it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At least you know what it is now, it could have been worse. Let us know if you want pictures of how we routed our wires.
Thanks @GLantern, but I've decided to return the sliders and purchase the Hepco & Becker engine guards instead. They're pricey, but they also protect other parts of the engine, like the clutch/alternator covers.

I'm currently contemplating just fixing the O2 wire myself.

·
242 Posts
Thanks @GLantern, but I've decided to return the sliders and purchase the Hepco & Becker engine guards instead. They're pricey, but they also protect other parts of the engine, like the clutch/alternator covers.

I'm currently contemplating just fixing the O2 wire myself.
Not a bad choice, I was looking at engine guards but didn’t like the look. It was too “adventure” for me and instead went with the extra engine protection parts. It came out more expensive for me in the long run I bet!

·
242 Posts

Dude! Did you put in engine ice? I don't want to hijack the thread, but I posted in another section about this asking if anyone runs it. How is it? Do you see any differences in temps while running? I have 4 bottles sitting in my garage that I have been contemplating putting in the bike since I got it.
I honestly can’t say if I have seen a difference, I only had it with the stock coolant for maybe 200 miles. It never goes over four bars ever if that is any help.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts