KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Long shot I know but i have a old pair of comfy Alpinestars SMX plus boots, when I first got them the laces broke on a few occasions. As they were within warranty I contacted Alpinestars and a very nice Italian gentleman sent me a load of spares. I’ve since worked my way through them (the purchase of my 890R hasn’t helped consumption) but I am wondering whether;

a) anyone else has the same issue?
b) is there an off the shelf cord anyone uses?

I read somewhere age’s ago about spear fishing or crossbow cord or something? Based in the uk, any suggestions would be appreciated as I think they’re about to go again!!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
There are alternatives to plain old normal laces. But think on this. would the rather the boot wore the odd set of laces out or that the lace wore the eyelets?!.

Sure you can use Dyneema or Kevlar cords. But generally they do not hold a knot that well. Guess how I know!. The same goes for 99% of Paracord. It's designed not to snag on itself.

There is an "art" to putting on and lacing boots. Something we are seldom taught. I did not know until recently either. If you put boots on properly - the the laces don't wear as fast. And you won't need anywhere near the lace tension. Look for videos on how to lace up Firemans/linemans boots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts