KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm less than 500 miles into the new bike.
Every morning when the bike is started, there would be smoke coming from the front of the engine for about a minute. I think it is coming from the exhaust pipe.
Is this going to be happening every morning?

·
Registered
117 Posts
It appended to me on my last ride last November and it seems to be coming from the cooling over flow i saw like one little drop. Now i as not drove it since then so i can’t be sure?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Propably you have a coolant leak, very coommon issue, Start the bike and keep an eye on the o2 sensors, thats where coolant is dripping usually.
Is this a problem that I should fix by myself or let the dealer fix it under warranty?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to have an overflow problem, particularly at track days, until I rerouted the drain hose over the bolt above it. Take a look at the picture. If it’s not the overflow, the hose clamp on the radiator hose behind the headers needs to be tightened slightly.
Where did you ordered the slider? Will it protect the tank and plastic from a tip over?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like Theron said, it is leaking on to the O2 Sensors but I cant see where is the source of the leak.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Easy to fix with a couple of turns of a wrench.
Be careful not to over-tighten like I did! I must have stripped the "thread" on the hose clamp, and it now just turns without tightening. Haven't got around to replacing it yet, but the one or two drips and sweet smell of burning coolant every time I start from cold is a constant reminder that it needs doing!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gave it 3/4 of a turn and I didnt see any steam today when I started the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think mine just started leaking at the same place. Can anyone post a photo of the clamp/bolt I need to tighten? I just don't want to over tighten the wrong one. Greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get off the back and sit down on the clutch side of the bike. It is located between the two exhaust pipes coming from the engine. It’s right above between the two pipes coming out. One full turn initially.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Vu Le. I did 3/4 turn initially and it was still dripping.. So I added another 3/4 turn and started to feel some tension in the bolt which was good! All up just shy of 2 full turns. Fingers crossed that out stops the leak.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used to have an overflow problem, particularly at track days, until I rerouted the drain hose over the bolt above it. Take a look at the picture. If it’s not the overflow, the hose clamp on the radiator hose behind the headers needs to be tightened slightly.
It's funny you mention that.. That is exactly what KTM did on the 890. The coolant overflow hose is routed completely different and goes way up under the shroud and back down to the same spot in the metal bracket as the 790.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get off the back and sit down on the clutch side of the bike. It is located between the two exhau
I wonder why this keeps happening? I had to do this twice .
Just an update. I still had a bit of weeping after the tightening. So I gave it another quarter of a turn, definitely felt the tension this time when tightening. So fingers crossed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts