KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been running a slip on without a tune?
Im fairly happy with the stock tune and the bottom end twitchiness isnt a problem for me, but I would like some more noise for when Im wearing earplugs.

Just how lean are these bikes running? Is it safe to have a slip on with the stock fuelling?

·
Registered
833 Posts
If you look at the stock pipe "Slip On" - you'll see it has no dB killer - it's just a packed expansion chamber. Straight through - no baffle inside. And the simple fact is that pretty much any E-marked slip-on will have little effect on the performance. In fact some are known to make it worse. Esp the short and thus loud ones. Whether you want loud rather than go - or just different looks - well that's a personal thing.

A Cat-delete is a whole different matter. This is the primary point of scavenge tuning and is what affects how much and when the pressure pulses are reflected back towards the valves. Mess that up and yes the KTM runs VERY lean. Valve burning lean.

I'd rather sort the fueling than make it loud - just my 0.02

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think KTM did a good job with both the sound and looks of the stock pipe. I haven't ridden the bike with earplugs yet, but if I can hear what the bike is doing, might be leaving it stock until I'm prepared to get fuelling sorted.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No need for the tuning. Since the catalytic converter is in a separate box under the frame, you're only changing the muffler so there's not much difference except a little more sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts