KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
'20 890R
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Are the slip-ons for the 790 compatible with the 890? Or are we stuck with Akra, Austin Racing and Wings for now?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Will they fit? - Almost certainly. Will they flow properly? - Almost certainly.

The biggest issue I see is HOMOLOGATION. The 790 was issued as a EU4 engine - the 890 as EU5 (I believe). The rules are different. Not massively, but they are.
I have a mate who runs a M/C repair business. Mainly Italian bikes. He was telling me that most of the large Italian exhaust marques are having to look very carefully how they are going to offer what customers want (db killer removal) without getting themselves into deep trouble.

·
Registered
'20 890R
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will they fit? - Almost certainly. Will they flow properly? - Almost certainly.

The biggest issue I see is HOMOLOGATION. The 790 was issued as a EU4 engine - the 890 as EU5 (I believe). The rules are different. Not massively, but they are.
I have a mate who runs a M/C repair business. Mainly Italian bikes. He was telling me that most of the large Italian exhaust marques are having to look very carefully how they are going to offer what customers want (db killer removal) without getting themselves into deep trouble.
That's what I've noticed, no more db-killer removal. The EU-rules are getting tiresome. Are there any exhausts/slipon for the 790 with a removable db-killer?

·
Registered
'20 890R
42 Posts
I saw your video, really cool! How's the sound with the dB-killer out? Hard to hear from the short clip with the music in the background. Big difference from the original exhaust?
Thanks! It's a bit louder but not so loud that my neighbors hate me. Wings states that it's about 3 dB louder than stock. With the wings it's also a deeper sound than stock.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got Wings pipe on my 790 and really happy with it, like Nordic said its louder than stock without dbkiller. Not too loud but a nice upgrade over stock pipe, with dbkiller in stock sounds slightly better I think. Overall Im really happy with it, it looks a lot better than stock banana too :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have the Wings on too. With db-K I think it maybe quieter than stock - Without it - it's louder but as others say - not abusively so.
Also I believe the new ones come with a second "looks like a db-K" insert as well as the db-K itself.

·
Cry Baby
178 Posts
I have the Wings on too. With db-K I think it maybe quieter than stock - Without it - it's louder but as others say - not abusively so.
Also I believe the new ones come with a second "looks like a db-K" insert as well as the db-K itself.
Mine (purchased direct from Wings a couple months back) only came with the single, installed db killer.

·
Registered
'20 890R
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it looks like Wings is the only one with a removable DB-killer? I can't decide between Austin Racing GP1, SC Project S1 or Wings.

Austin Racing says that "Please Also note the 790 systems no longer come supplied with a removable Db killer as they feature an advanced internal instead."

And SC Project says that S1 doesn’t come with DB-killer. Is there none at all or is it non-removable? Claims that its racing only.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Akrapovic has a removable dB killer.

·
VIP member
472 Posts
If I rem correctly, the original YouTube video for drilling a hole in the end cap was French. So, I think the EU version can be modified, too.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The EU-rules are getting tiresome.
It shows however where they predominantly get sold Europe.

The option for those of you NOT bound by Euro-numbers etc is to look for full blown RACE cans. And tbh it would NOT be even marginally hard to adapt many universal slip-ons - I've seen the link pipes on Amazon and ebay. BUT - you won't get Dyno numbers.

Next thing you can expect to see disappear from Eu road pipes - SPRINGS.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts