KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That time of year when trickle chargers go on. I have put the lead on my battery but cannot find any info on whether the 790 Duke is set up on a Canbus system or not. Obviously I need to set up my charger for Canbus which I can easily do if the electrical system requires it. My friend has same dilemma with his recently acquired 690 Duke as he does not know if that is Canbus (it’s a 2017 model). Any info on 790 system gratefully received and if anyone also knows what system the 690 is that’s a bonus. Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought the canbus charger issue was BMW specific thing for charging via a factory 12v accessory or DIN socket?

If you're just charging via SAE pig tail attached to the battery, you don't need any canbus setting for your Duke or the 690.

·
Registered
277 Posts
That time of year when trickle chargers go on. I have put the lead on my battery but cannot find any info on whether the 790 Duke is set up on a Canbus system or not. Obviously I need to set up my charger for Canbus which I can easily do if the electrical system requires it. My friend has same dilemma with his recently acquired 690 Duke as he does not know if that is Canbus (it’s a 2017 model). Any info on 790 system gratefully received and if anyone also knows what system the 690 is that’s a bonus. Thanks
As far as I know it's CAN bus system all the way

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's helpful. 1 for, 1 against.

I phoned my local dealer and he said there is no need for a Can-Bus specific charger.

If you know different, perhaps you'd let them know.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm not saying you need a can bus specific charger I'm just saying that the KTM Duke runs a Can bus system

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
534 Posts
the 790 Duke is set up on a Canbus system
Well hell I thought I was done with Pot when I was in my early 20's.

Now you guys are telling me that my new bike is equipped with a Can-a-bus system????

Do you smoke it or eat it?

Always new the 790 was smokin hot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. If it is a Can Bus system I think any charger needs to be configured for Can Bus and/or altered to Can Bus setting. It’s not just BMW that has Can Bus but I have had a Ducati that was Can Bus. Otherwise there would not be Can Bus settings I guess if any charger could be used on a Can Bus system. I understand that if a none Can Bus charger is used on a Can Bus system it’s can cause damage. Has anyone else come to the same conclusion from research please?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've been using a battery tender jr, non-canbus, through a fused pigtail connector attached to the battery posts on my 1090 since it was new and now on my 790 Duke. No issue on either one ever....YMMV.

Here's optimate's FAQ info

"What is OptiMate CANbus?
OptiMate 4 Dual Program has a function to connect to batteries of BMW motorcycles which have CANbus (or LINbus) wiring which in practice is most made since 2008. These bikes have 12V DIN sockets which are controlled by the bike’s Battery Management System. The system is designed so as to turn off the socket 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off, ironically in order to protect the battery Voltage, as the socket was initially only envisaged as a power outlet. To use the socket to charge the bike’s battery it is necessary to communicate with the Battery Management System to keep the socket awake –otherwise charging will stop after 15 minutes. When set in the “CANbus” Program, OptiMate 4 can be used to charge these bikes via the socket for as long as you like. NB this only applies to BMW motorcycles. The word “CANbus” refers to the wiring communication network used on a great many vehicles –OptiMate 4’s “CANbus” program is only for BMW Motorcycles

If I were charging a significantly discharged battery, I'd pull it from the bike or disconnect the terminals before charging on a full size multi-stage charger.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I've got a fused lead permanently connected to my battery terminals for heated gloves in the winter. It tucks away neatly for summer riding but I've now started using it to connect to a solar charger on the roof of the shed. I've used the same system on our boat which is parked in the garden away from a power supply for several years to preserve the expensive marine battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for replies . From them it seems for a 790 Duke it does not matter if the charger set to Can Bus or not. Given that and to put the subject to bed I wonder what is it about the BMW Can Bus system that does require a dedicated Can Bus setting ? There must be something unique to BMW’s that other manufacturers with Can Bus do not have. I wonder if it’s related to whether the charger lead connector is hard wired to the battery (as I have done) or a bikes ‘power socket port’ is used.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re the BMW. It's not to do with the power socket. Mine is wired direct to the battery and still needs a Can-Bus charger. No idea why, as this must bypass the Can-Bus system.

·
Registered
277 Posts
? Just curious is this Mostley a BMW thing maybe. Most of this is new to me I'm just trying to put it away in the knowledge bank

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well Canbus sends a control signal to keep the socket alive is what I meant if charged this way by the power socket , makes no difference on a battery pig tail etc its just to keep the socket awake by sending it a message to stay awake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts