KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 790 is nearly a year old. The more I ride it the more I like it. But there are 2 areas that I would like to improve: brakes and suspension. I can get the Ohlins shock and fork replacements and some EBC HH pads but that would bring the total cost up to the same as a new 890 and I could be screwed on insurance as they are considered to be performance enhancing mods in the UK (suspension not pads). Although I down-sized from an MT10 to the 790 I don't miss the power of the old bike so for my riding on local roads I don't necessarily need the extra kick of the 890 (but every little helps...). Without the option to test ride an 890 I'm left not knowing which route to take. Any feedback from anyone who has been lucky enough to have ridden both for a decent distance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well my 2 cents worth.... your going to have to throw another 5k pounds plus your 790 to get an 890.... not worth it imho unless you got money to burn

·
Registered
310 Posts
@Yogi not disagreeing with @murp that you could spend that much but I think you could improve the 790 suspension a great deal for a lot less than that.

e.g. Misano or Matris fork internals and Nitron rear shock would be a great improvement.

Even the WP Pro Apex 6500 / 6746 pair would be around £1700 in total (and better than what's on the 890).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my 2 cents worth.... your going to have to throw another 5k pounds plus your 790 to get an 890.... not worth it imho unless you got money to burn
Good point (i.e. I don't have money to burn), also my bike is a known commodity and little tweaks should make it perfect. Of all the bikes I've owned the Tuono V-twin (2nd gen) was my favourite until the 790, it has the grunt of the Tuono without the stupidly high pegs and crap reliability. As I'm running a hefty 100kg I think that a suspension fettle should bring it up to spec' or I just lay off the pork pies for a few months. On the braking topic has anyone tried EBC HH pads on the 790? I've used them before on previous bikes and they've transformed the feel and stopping power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Yogi not disagreeing with @murp that you could spend that much but I think you could improve the 790 suspension a great deal for a lot less than that.

e.g. Misano or Matris fork internals and Nitron rear shock would be a great improvement.

Even the WP Pro Apex 6500 / 6746 pair would be around £1700 in total (and better than what's on the 890).
Thanks for the advice, I get the impression that keeping the 790 and improving it could be the way ahead. I know that P and H in Crawley were going to fit some uprated suspension to a demonstrator so I'll check with them to see if I can try that out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
@Yogi no worries - just offering some thoughts.

There are quite a few posts on here from folks who've added the EBC HH pads and have nothing other than good things to say about them. I think they offer better initial bite which might be enough for you. I personally don't have an issue with the OEM brakes at all as I don't ride that fast but will probably switch to HH pads when I need new ones any way based on reading on here. I certainly don't need a new master cylinder or callipers!

I love my 790 too - and over time have made it my own. It's comfortable and quick enough and suits my riding perfectly.

My biggest problem is that I'm at the other end of the weight scale and too much of a light-weight for the OEM springs at 63Kg. I've reduced the rear preload which has sorted the back pretty much though rebound is still a bit quick I feel.

The front end is still a bit too stiff for me - it's not bad but it could do with a lighter spring for lighter riders like me. The OEM stuff is always a compromise especially if there's no adjustments. If I was going to the effort of changing them I'd probably change the whole internals for something better that's adjustable too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Everyone uses EBC HH on race bikes. The 790 is way fast enough. Had a first gen Tuono and the 790 goes just as well without the high seat pegs etc and way lighter. Keep your money.

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Everyone uses EBC HH on race bikes. The 790 is way fast enough. Had a first gen Tuono and the 790 goes just as well without the high seat pegs etc and way lighter. Keep your money.
A good friend is buying a new Ape Tuono V4, (the base, not the RR), and it's savage! Things change. 🤓

1 - 10 of 10 Posts