KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined , I'm an ex-390 rider and now have my eyes set on a 790 . Yesterday , I was offered a brand-new old stock 2018 model with 0km on the clock at a very attractive price . I understand that mainly the engine is different compared to the 2020 model . To put is simple : Is there a justifiable 3000 euro difference ? If so , what or why ?

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
The 790 is the 790. With the "new model" you seem to be referring to the 890R. More power, better suspension and brakes. Much more money.Both are being sold as 2020. The 890R did not replace the 790.

2018 790 Duke should not be different from the 2020 Duke. Great bike. Read the forum posts. I think you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just joined , I'm an ex-390 rider and now have my eyes set on a 790 . Yesterday , I was offered a brand-new old stock 2018 model with 0km on the clock at a very attractive price . I understand that mainly the engine is different compared to the 2020 model . To put is simple : Is there a justifiable 3000 euro difference ? If so , what or why ?
Sounds like you'd be familiar with the lineup, but 2020's all have black subframe, black tank and orange wheels.
They look quite a bit different but still look good.
Most premium I would pay is say 1500 euros.
The runout price for 2018's, well just means you arent going to lose as much in depreciation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies . Somehow I was told the new 2020 version comes with a twin ¨in line¨ with more power/ torque engine where the older versions have a V- shaped twin . Obviously if there is no difference except colour ... 7000 euro for a new '18 vs the 10K list price for a '20 .. the choice will be easily made .

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
The info you received is, needless to say, wrong. The 790 is the 790. I personally never count color scheme changes as changes. To me it's just the same motorcycle in a different color...

As far as more power, there is the 890R, as mentioned, but it will be significantly more expensive than a new 2018 790.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for clarifying this , to me this is great news . Guess my mind is made up and will go and get that brand-new 2018 model from a dealer ( 300 km away ) for 3K less than the RRP for the 2020 model .
I'm obviously aware that there is another beast called the 890R out there , which I know is a far superior machine with higher specs ... but again another 2,5K over the 2020 790 RRP . I have no need for that much extra power .
Guess I will give them a call on Monday and place a deposit on that 2018 model till we can travel to other regions ( looks like that will be from 1st of June )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed Roberto , that is what their add says : To very honest I also think that 3K is a lot of difference in price and is 1,5K better than the next best offer I found so far . This is the reason I asked the question here , as I really thought that there could / should be a major upgrade between the '18 model to '20 model in order to justify this price . Covid19 has hit Spain like Italy very badly and the economical repercussion of 2 months of confinement are serious . I recall the US president saying that the cure could very well be worse than the illness . Certainly not going into politics here , and I'm certainly not agreeing on everything that man says .. but he has a point . I'm actually also looking to change my car as the offers/ discounts in Spain and France are huge at the moment .
Anyway , I will call them in about an hour and will find out of this deal is real or an erratum . Unless that is the ex-VAT ( sales tax ) price .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So ,I called that dealer this morning and right away I felt that there was something not right . They took my details and told me they would get back to me . Suppose I wasn't the only person interested in the offer and had called them .The ¨man in charge ¨of sales called me back about an hour ago and explained that the price is indeed an error .Finally the best price he can do on the '18 ( they have 2 units ) models in stock is nowhere near the 3K off RRP . I will now go back to my more local dealer who I believe quoted me a very decent price for a 2020 model . They have both orange and black in stock . One is in their Malaga city outlet and the other in Marbella . They also have a demo 890R on sale I believe . Will go and see both on saturday morning and decide on the colour ... knowing myself .. may end up with something I really didn't need .. like a 890R .. but that sort of thing wouldn't be a first for me . Many years ago I went to buy a brand-new scooter to commute and brought back a second hand HD Fat Boy ....I know ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was an add on Wallapop . Called that Murcia based outlet this morning :
And???? - Cheapest I can see on motos punto net is €7450 - Orange 2018. €7000 is a bargain.
I just posted about this : It actually was an add on Wallapop . Called the guys this morning and it was a mistake : They have indeed 2 units brand-new '18 models , but the prices on the add referred to secondhand models they have on offer . Going saturday to Siebla in Malaga and Marbella to decide on the colour : They made me a decent offer on either black or orange 2020 models .

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you are a great rider, go for the 890. If you ride like most of us and value $3000 euro more, get the 790.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ronda road , yes . I know that road pretty well . Actually used to live in house in the ¨La heredia ¨complex . True , many of the supercars out of Marbella / Puerto bonus have a go at it ... not al with success ... many returned with the car on a tow truck . Same with bikes but as we all know the result can be worse. I lived 10 years in Playa d'Aro and there we have the S.Feliu to Tossa ( del Mar ) road .. beautiful coastal road ( short equivalent of some stretches to Carmel .CA ) but again pretty lethal . If you're ever that way try it , and also the C462 Solsona - S.llorenc road .. well worth it !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are a great rider, go for the 890. If you ride like most of us and value $3000 euro more, get the 790.
I did spent quite a bit of time and kilometres on various types of bikes over 40 years of riding them . I have learned one thing ... very few riders are better than their bike .. I'm no exception . 790 is more than enough but 890R looks better and is indeed temping .

·
Registered
60 Posts
If youve got the funds and you can find one, get the 890. They're probably going to be collectable, and they dont really need any mods out of the box, you dont need to touch a thing.

Power wise the 790's not bad really. Theres a whole other motor above 6500 rpm, which you don't even need on the street.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts