KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking that my new bikes gonna have a different look about it, more of an urban/scrambler theme, any ideas on tyres to fit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Am thinking that my new bikes gonna have a different look about it, more of an urban/scrambler theme, any ideas on tyres to fit.

I have a pirelli Rally STR Scorpion on my Svartpilen 401 good off road and nothing to say on road, a good compromise

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the shortcut JD, that's the look.....spot on. Will turn up at the ADV Bike Rider Festival at Ragley Hall on something similar next year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a pirelli Rally STR Scorpion on my Svartpilen 401 good off road and nothing to say on road, a good compromise

I've checked them out on Perelli's website and the look and read up good. Just gotta price them up fitted locally.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for this but what did you mean by "nothing to say on road"
I mean that they do the job, there isn't a felling like an ultra sport tire, but there isn't default and I took the angle as with sports tires without problem.

I was really surprised by the quality of these tires on asphalt and dirt roads :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a look at those Pirelli’s but also looking at Conti TK70/80’s. Perelli is cheaper though. Anymore ideas anyone?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'll be VERY interested to hear of feedback. I do not ride off road much - and have no plans to do so really. But the ability to do some dirt roads would be interesting from a holidaying POV. Esp in the Balkans etc

·
Registered
20 Posts
In my opinion street tires are very usable on dry dirt roads. I have driven couple of thousand kilometers. Some places are very slippery when wet, like mud and clay.

I dont know how Pirelli MT60RS works but there are right tire sizes.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Well, there are a lot of options. Depends on what exactly you are looking for. This YouTube shootout is very interesting.

Reactions: KiwiDuke

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll be VERY interested to hear of feedback. I do not ride off road much - and have no plans to do so really. But the ability to do some dirt roads would be interesting from a holidaying POV. Esp in the Balkans etc
Dunlop Mutant M&S 2020 is also an option.
Very good in the rain

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am fitting a pair of the 2020 Dunlop Mutants tomorrow. Not really intending to be riding anything off the tarmac but a lot of the roads and weather i ride in is wet and some of the roads not in the best of condition. Just make sure you are getting the newer tyre and not the old Mutant tyre which is different, but has the same name.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I am fitting a pair of the 2020 Dunlop Mutants tomorrow. Not really intending to be riding anything off the tarmac but a lot of the roads and weather i ride in is wet and some of the roads not in the best of condition. Just make sure you are getting the newer tyre and not the old Mutant tyre which is different, but has the same name.
Be interested to see a photo with them fitted.

My interest is awakened as I am thinking of trying to use the 790 to visit my mum in Dorset next Spring/Summer. The Maxxis are fine here nr Madrid as I avoid wet weather as much as poss - But on a one month trip to the UK - I will see wet and muddy roads in the lanes.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
459 Posts
Are they related to the Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Joking aside they look like they should work pretty well in the less than perfect road conditions you describe.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
125 Posts
Are they related to the Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Joking aside they look like they should work pretty well in the less than perfect road conditions you describe.
Be interested to see a photo with them fitted.

My interest is awakened as I am thinking of trying to use the 790 to visit my mum in Dorset next Spring/Summer. The Maxxis are fine here nr Madrid as I avoid wet weather as much as poss - But on a one month trip to the UK - I will see wet and muddy roads in the lanes.
Also check out Continental Trail Attack 3. 90% road 10% trail plus rapid warm-up within first 1500 metres. Might be ideal in cold damp slimy UK lanes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts