KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon folks,

My 790 Duke has done almost 4000 miles and over the last few weeks it's developed a screeching sound which is getting worse.

It seems to be clutch related:-
- happens when the engine is warm, never cold
- happens when rolled off the throttle in 2nd gear and above
- if you pull the clutch in, the sound goes and returns when the clutch is let out so rules out the engine or chain.

Has anyone else had this or can suggest what it may be ? I've mailed my dealer but it's a bank holiday here in the UK.

Cheers,
Rifty

·
Super-Member
600 Posts
I have no clue without hearing it! Is it loud? Does it sound like something is rubbing? Check your oil level first. I had an issue that sounds something like what you describe on both my street and dirt bikes, and I replaced the clutch plates inside the case. May be a spring issue or worn clutch plates. If you are still under warranty, take it in! That should be covered!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update : fixed. Ridiculously, it was the chain ! Completely lubed it and now... silence !!

I would have expected it to be constant, not affected by the drive, but seems I was wrong, thankfully 😎

·
a d m i n .
151,081 Posts
Update : fixed. Ridiculously, it was the chain ! Completely lubed it and now... silence !!

I would have expected it to be constant, not affected by the drive, but seems I was wrong, thankfully 😎
Many have said, the chain could be replaced with a far better quality chain.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Many have said, the chain could be replaced with a far better quality chain.
Do you imply that I should expect a significant elongation form the factory chain around 5K km?
In my earlier motorbikes I never had to tension it between tire changes.

·
a d m i n .
151,081 Posts
Do you imply that I should expect a significant elongation form the factory chain around 5K km?
In my earlier motorbikes I never had to tension it between tire changes.

That's a darn good question, as I'm not implying anything.

I'm simply making the observation that many feel KTM went a little cheap on the chain, and have replaced it with a much higher quality one. :wink:

I agree, I rarely have had to make adjustments on any of my motos over the years.

·
Super-Member
600 Posts

Excellent. How did you find it? Glad it was an easy fix!

·
Super-Moderator
670 Posts
I also have some chain noise, when slowing down or downshifting. A little annoying, but not too bad. Will take a look over the weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts