KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seen the Motogadget "ass-less" ones? - I'm waiting to see a set first hand before I decide. Eventually my mate will have a customer who wants a set.
Me too ;-) I'm really intrigued by these glassless mirrors - I watched how they make them on YouTube and it was really fascinating.

I like the look of them - there are some good shapes that would suit the 790 I think, though can't decide which I'd prefer: the ones with arms from the existing perches or bar end ones (probably need a small ring adapter to go between the end of the grips and the bar end weights.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I like the look of them - there are some good shapes that would suit the 790 I think, though can't decide which I'd prefer: the ones with arms from the existing perches or bar end ones (probably need a small ring adapter to go between the end of the grips and the bar end weights.
I will have a look and see if a 10mm wide seat can be made on the OEM weight. Can see no reason at all why not. They're brass I think which makes them a doddle to turn down. Though tbh I'm not a fan of bar end mirrors. I'll see what I have in the offcuts bin.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I will have a look and see if a 10mm wide seat can be made on the OEM weight. Can see no reason at all why not. They're brass I think which makes them a doddle to turn down. Though tbh I'm not a fan of bar end mirrors. I'll see what I have in the offcuts bin.
I'm sure you could turn a section on the standard bar end weights - not so sure if there's enough meat to keep the diameter you need, think they are 22mm fittings.

I was amusingly surprised by the sheer size of the bar end weight internals - they are huge at about 6" (15cm) long inside the bars - they are hefty things!

I've never had bar end mirrors either, and still not sure I would get them over standard type ones but trying to image them compared to the thin stalks of the regular ones. They might improve visibility a bit though - even after adjusting the OEM ones to how I like them (left for truly rear view, right for more lane to my right side) I still peek past my shoulders though them.

So I got thinking about how to install them and figured a small collar would work - it *might* require a longer bolt though, not sure.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Forget a collar unless you make it to VERY fine tolerances including a wedge shape - it will just spin outside the weight shaft.

The KTM blocking system is very simple but solid. Moving that outwards will reduce it's effectiveness. tbh though I am currently running weightless and I see no real difference. I guess I'm less fussy than some. I am looking to fabricate some thing soon as I want to fit some DECENT wind protection for my dainty fingers. I'll use BarkBuster BBZ. I just need to fit some GOOD solid 2 part frames as I know how much they waggle otherwise.

I like my mirrors easy to see - I already fitted SW-MOTECH mirror extender arms to get the OEM mirrors past my elbows. I did try with some cheapo Chinese bar ends I had in the bits bin. Not for me.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm sure you could turn a section on the standard bar end weights - not so sure if there's enough meat to keep the diameter you need, think they are 22mm fittings.
There is masses of meat there - Looked just now. 30mmOD - would be a piece of cake for any hobby machinist to turn down the 10mm (10.1) nearest the grip to 1". The Motogadget bar-ends have a 1" clamp with 7/8 adapter rings.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Its all about the "LOOK" barba. Stealth, it so suits the 790. I'm not a fan of a screen on the 790 as it takes away that special look this bike was meant to have. but i understand why many fit them.............Long may the mini mantis remain naked.:grin:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Its all about the "LOOK" barba. Stealth, it so suits the 790. I'm not a fan of a screen on the 790 as it takes away that special look this bike was meant to have. but i understand why many fit them.............Long may the mini mantis remain naked.:grin:
I do understand - but for me form has to follow function. I'd rather have no mirrors than useless ones. I'm interested in riding it - not looking at at. And tbh the less attention it attracts the happier I am - Be the onlooker a thief or "officer". Stealth is about NOT being seen imo. :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
why I ride

Very nice. I like!
I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...

true story - I/m going on 80 years old. I never rode a bike until I was 51 yo. I bought a MotoGuzzi 500 as my first bike. I had come home from a short ride to find my wife sitting on our front porch steps chatting with a girl friend of hers. The friend at the time had gone through a recent divorce.
As I approacehed the drive way I smiled and waved. My wife said to her friend just ignore him he's going through a phase. Her friend said, "leave him alone, its a lot better than a girlfriend." To this day, after owning 20 bikes including seven KTM's in the past 7 years my darling wife of 40 years has never said one word about how many bikes I've owned at one time. All she ever says is "whats the next bike you''re getting?"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts