KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, my sc project S1 arrived today - unfortunately still waiting on my 890 Duke R! I was having a look at the muffler, it does not appear to have a db killer fitted nor any option to install one (didn't want one anyway). But looking down the end cap I can see a metal crossbeam thing and I was wondering if it's some sort of non-removable db killer? Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
That metal crossbeam is part of the DB killer. I have a 890 with a S1 and can confirm that it comes with a db killer installed. Image below is not from my bike but mine looked just like this.
Red arrows points to a snap ring that you will need snap ring pliers to remove.
Blue arrow points to the edge of the db killer.

I would recommend removing this before running the bike because once it gets hot it is much harder to remove. I used a bit of penetrating oil on the outside of the db killer and then grabbed the edge with needle nose vise-grips. I then worked it out with a rotation/pulling motion. Its a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That metal crossbeam is part of the DB killer. I have a 890 with a S1 and can confirm that it comes with a db killer installed. Image below is not from my bike but mine looked just like this.

I would recommend removing this before running the bike because once it gets hot it is much harder to remove. I used a bit of penetrating oil on the outside of the db killer and then grabbed the edge with needle nose vise-grips. I then worked it out with a rotation/pulling motion. Its a bit of a pain.

View attachment 5318
Amazing, thank you! Will have a look at mine today. Don't have snap ring pliers so will have to pick up a set.
Easy enough to remove? Took the baffle out of my girlfriend's akra system on her MT-07 and that took over 2 hours... Had to drill out a spot weld (went through 4 drill bits - titanium is hard af) and then mangled the baffle itself grabbing it with vice grips and pulling on it for ages. Got it out without damaging the muffler but destroyed the baffle and had to go in the bin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not too bad. I struggled with it until I tried rotating while pulling, then it popped right out.
Bike is not too loud with out but just right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a little bit of WD40 and some twisting should do the trick? I'm excited...
Any sound clips? Really hard to find anything for this can on YouTube

·
Registered
54 Posts
No welds on mine. Yeah that should do the trick. Im going on a ride in the morning, so ill grab some sounds clips with and without. I'll do my best to film the removal but I don't have a tripod so we'll see what I can rig up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it out! Posted on a local motorcycle group on facebook asking if anyone had snap ring pliers I could borrow. Not easy as our state in Australia is currently on Stage 4 lockdown and can't move more than 5km from home! Anyway popped by his place to take the ring clip out. Went back home to remove the baffle. Grabbed it with pliers first and wouldn't budge with about 80% pulling force. Used my girlfriends old handlebar from her MT-07, fed it down the pipe from the back (engine side) and tapped on that crossbeam - popped right out. Used probably 10% force on it haha was easy as pie.
Thank you for your help, hopefully my bike is here in the next few days, dealer promised me last week of August or first week of September... First week of Spring and I want to take the beast out for a ride!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Arrow RaceTech also has a removable baffle.

I needed to remove a welded-on "Stopper" which separated cleanly with a tiny tap from a hammer and chisel.

Removed the snap-ring and baffle slid our easily.

Important items to remember when separating baffle from insert, (1) heat-cycles are not your friend - best to do it from new-ish before they get comfortable living together, and (2) similar metals fitted tightly, especially stainless baffles and DB killers, will gall together - use a penetrating lubricant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got it out! Posted on a local motorcycle group on facebook asking if anyone had snap ring pliers I could borrow. Not easy as our state in Australia is currently on Stage 4 lockdown and can't move more than 5km from home! Anyway popped by his place to take the ring clip out. Went back home to remove the baffle. Grabbed it with pliers first and wouldn't budge with about 80% pulling force. Used my girlfriends old handlebar from her MT-07, fed it down the pipe from the back (engine side) and tapped on that crossbeam - popped right out. Used probably 10% force on it haha was easy as pie.
Thank you for your help, hopefully my bike is here in the next few days, dealer promised me last week of August or first week of September... First week of Spring and I want to take the beast out for a ride!!!
Glad you got it out! You are gonna love your 890!

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
151 Posts

View attachment 5318
Mine doesn’t have that cross. It looks like this. Is it the same process?

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
151 Posts
I would imagine so... Take out the circlip and pop a wooden broom stick up from the bottom and pop the baffle out.
I can't tell from this picture but it might have had the baffle removed already...? Did you buy the muffler new?
Yes it was new. I was able to remove it. It’s much smaller than the usual ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought it directly from SC Project and I thought they forgot to install the db killer! So small (and already so loud!) Could you post a pic of the db killer? Just to prove the cops that THAT real cylinder is the db killer! Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts