KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey guys, dealer just told me they don't have the freaking solo hardware; what the hell? And they're obviously not discounting it at all. Are you guys sure the 2021s come with both? The build date on this one is 12/20. In addition to that, the bike has deep scratches and scuffs all over the damn place, due to sitting there for months, and careless people. Not sure what I'll do, but will keep you posted.
I'm sure!

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
Hey guys, dealer just told me they don't have the freaking solo hardware; what the hell? And they're obviously not discounting it at all. Are you guys sure the 2021s come with both? The build date on this one is 12/20. In addition to that, the bike has deep scratches and scuffs all over the damn place, due to sitting there for months, and careless people. Not sure what I'll do, but will keep you posted.
Get a nice discount and take it of their hands. Once it's off the showroom floor it is used anyway...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's what I asked for. Ha ha. But dealer just sent me a photo with the extra parts, so all is well. However, now they're saying they want an extra grand for the 'tech pack', when it was supposedly activated/included already. Geez. I'm going to consider buying the bike from an Austin dealer one of you recommended, even though it's 600 miles away. The only reason is I can use that as an excuse to visit my daughter there :).
By the way, that Austin guy said he could also activate cruise control for $249 more, but I'm 99% certain US bikes don't have the cruise switch on the housing (hope I'm wrong). Will keep you guys posted, and thanks you again for all the help.
JC

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's what I asked for. Ha ha. But dealer just sent me a photo with the extra parts, so all is well. However, now they're saying they want an extra grand for the 'tech pack', when it was supposedly activated/included already. Geez. I'm going to consider buying the bike from an Austin dealer one of you recommended, even though it's 600 miles away. The only reason is I can use that as an excuse to visit my daughter there :).
By the way, that Austin guy said he could also activate cruise control for $249 more, but I'm 99% certain US bikes don't have the cruise switch on the housing (hope I'm wrong). Will keep you guys posted, and thanks you again for all the help.
JC
The $249 he quoted you for cruise includes install of the housing, I have it on mine and love it.

And the tech pack does cost more and is not normally included.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Excellent news! But did you get a brand new housing, including harness, or what exactly? Replacing the harness, with all connectors, would require basically dismantling the bike. I wouldn't want that. Ha ha. Hopefully you have some details. I'm waiting on the guy's call (a David). They're asking more than the local guy, and it's an even older bike, so not sure what I'm going to do. The only way I'd do it there is if a 2nd bike they reportedly have is newer, and hopefully not assembled yet, so no scratches or scuffs from careless people. Thanks brother.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Excellent news! But did you get a brand new housing, including harness, or what exactly? Replacing the harness, with all connectors, would require basically dismantling the bike. I wouldn't want that. Ha ha. Hopefully you have some details. I'm waiting on the guy's call (a David). They're asking more than the local guy, and it's an even older bike, so not sure what I'm going to do. The only way I'd do it there is if a 2nd bike they reportedly have is newer, and hopefully not assembled yet, so no scratches or scuffs from careless people. Thanks brother.
I had it installed at the first service, $250 for the whole thing (SW + switch) if I remember correctly. They may have charged me an hour labor too, I had a lot of stuff done that day.

There is a plug for it behind the headlight so not as complex to install as taking the whole bike apart, I would have done it myself if the bike wasn't there anyway.

First time I have ever had electronic cruise on a bike and it is a game changer, it allows me to relax, stretch etc on the boring stretches between fun parts, love it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Again, I'm not trying to be an ass (although I'm SURE you don't believe that), but all this has been covered.
'Search' is your friend.
The cruise control purchase comes WITH the controller and the install for a very affordable price.
The Tech Pack is routinely installed for $600 at dealerships all over the country, and if you point that out to your purchasing dealer, they will probably do the same for you IF you purchase the bike form them. It is very much worth the price.
Every 890R comes with ALL the parts for 2up riding AND the solo cowl and hardware to remove the 10 pounds of rear pegs, rear seat and grab handle.
I'm glad to hear that you are thinking about the R because you would probably be disappointed with anything else (but I've been telling you that for weeks).
Again, Good Luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah, I've had it on my last 3 BMWs, and on the MT-10, so I'd miss it a lot. Ha ha. Thank you for the heads up. If they want to charge me for labor, I'd just get the SW done, and I'd install the housing myself. But the bike is getting ridiculously expensive. It's getting into BMW R1250R territory, with no single-sided swingarm, no shaft drive, no keyless ignition, no TPMS, no adjustable suspension, etc. Hard to justify, especially without having ever ridden any KTM before, but we'll see tomorrow how much the whole damn thing would be :). Thanks gang.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, I've had it on my last 3 BMWs, and on the MT-10, so I'd miss it a lot. Ha ha. Thank you for the heads up. If they want to charge me for labor, I'd just get the SW done, and I'd install the housing myself. But the bike is getting ridiculously expensive. It's getting into BMW R1250R territory, with no single-sided swingarm, no shaft drive, no keyless ignition, no TPMS, no adjustable suspension, etc. Hard to justify, especially without having ever ridden any KTM before, but we'll see tomorrow how much the whole damn thing would be :). Thanks gang.
have you even looked through the power parts catalogue? There’s a TPS module you can buy for the bike as well, they designed these bikes to have plug and play modules, (heated grips, cruise, Bluetooth, tpms, alarm) and why complain about a lack of adjustable suspension when the R has it? And your missing the point of the Duke entirely if your comparing it to a claimed 527lbs dry weight boat anchor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I can’t wait for something to go wrong with it if you buy one 59 posts and you don’t even own one.
And hope you have mechanical issues with yours too, so you don't wish people crap like that. When that happens, remember karma can be a b*tch :). And smart people ask questions before buying, but of course you don't understand that :). Ignored now.

have you even looked through the power parts catalogue? There’s a TPS module you can buy for the bike as well, they designed these bikes to have plug and play modules, (heated grips, cruise, Bluetooth, tpms, alarm) and why complain about a lack of adjustable suspension when the R has it? And your missing the point of the Duke entirely if your comparing it to a claimed 527lbs dry weight boat anchor.
First of all, I meant 'electronic suspension adjustment', not mechanical adjustments; I know the R has those, and why I'd only buy that one, and not the regular 890.
Yeah, it's nice to be able to add modules, but it's absolutely ridiculous having to spend a fortune on a small bike for that, but hey, at least it's there. And finally, I know the BMW is heavier, but if it's going to cost near the same, I'd be a hard decision to make.

I knew people here were going to get 'testy' if everything is not praise for your precious metal scrap, but it's the nature of forums like these, with lots of fanboys, so I'm signing off this forum. Have all the information I need, and would only come back if I just can't find an answer to a question after I own it. That's why I typically stay out of forums once I buy the bike. Don't have time for fragile egos that idolize a freaking object, but to each his own :). Signing off my own thread now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dude your the one moaning about options this bike supposedly lacks, then you toss out a rando comparison! BMW as a brand is FAMOUS for options that far enhance the base price of their vehicles, so using it as an example of value for money is pretty laughable. I’m just pointing out if you did your homework this bike will tick almost all the boxes you’ve said your looking for!
Now If your looking for a retro shaft drive sporty standard this isn’t it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I knew people here were going to get 'testy' if everything is not praise for your precious metal scrap, but it's the nature of forums like these, with lots of fanboys, so I'm signing off this forum. Have all the information I need, and would only come back if I just can't find an answer to a question after I own it. That's why I typically stay out of forums once I buy the bike. Don't have time for fragile egos that idolize a freaking object, but to each his own :). Signing off my own thread now.
That might be just a tad over the top. Plenty of folks have spent considerable time trying to answer your myriad of questions. A few have pointed out that most of the information is already available and I tend to agree with that. I was in your same position as you a few months ago and found all the answers I needed before I took the plunge. I also considered the new MT-09 SP but ultimately decided to give the Duke a try.

KTM has chosen an A la carte format that is not to everyones liking. I myself am not a big fan of it. Dealers are free to negotiate their own prices for the package as well as the labor.

I am open to some pretty broad comparison shopping but comparing the KTM Duke 890 R to the BMW R1250R is quite a stretch. If the BMW is in contention then so are about 90 other bikes. How about a Ural with a side car?

So far there appears to be only one obvious fragile ego in this thread. Forums often work best when there is a fair amount of give and take. It sounds like you are trying to take all you can before you hit the exit.

·
Registered
438 Posts
And hope you have mechanical issues with yours too, so you don't wish people crap like that. When that happens, remember karma can be a b*tch :). And smart people ask questions before buying, but of course you don't understand that :). Ignored now.

First of all, I meant 'electronic suspension adjustment', not mechanical adjustments; I know the R has those, and why I'd only buy that one, and not the regular 890.
Yeah, it's nice to be able to add modules, but it's absolutely ridiculous having to spend a fortune on a small bike for that, but hey, at least it's there. And finally, I know the BMW is heavier, but if it's going to cost near the same, I'd be a hard decision to make.

You’re over thinking it just buy it and ride it. No problems with either of the two 790’s I’ve had.
Oh I’m on ignore boo hoo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When KTM first came out with the cosmic praying mantis styling I thought to my self "Man what an ugly bike. Who would design something that looked like that, unless it was for a star wars movie."

Well it sure is funny how something will grow on you given enough time.

Now I really like the clean, chiseled, modern look. And when I look at the older styled bikes they just don't turn my crank like they used to. Unless of course they are a few of the new retro design bikes like the Kawi 900 RS Cafe, which I think is pretty cool.

Ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do have to remind myself that when I am on the bike I won't be looking at any of the styling but rather savoring the sharp handling and the visceral torque of the great little vertical twin that could.

I hope you enjoy your Duke as much as I am enjoying mine. ;)
I have come to the conclusion that “praying msntis look” is areodynsmic, combinef with sngle of headlight. Also carries dome of furl doenblow snd forward. I still lust after trafition se of Norton Commando but tried getting two on the road before handing off yo someone with better knowedge and skills. I notice that young and non-motorcyclist compliment the looks of my orange 790 Duke. I think engine bring visible helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that “praying msntis look” is areodynsmic, combinef with sngle of headlight. Also carries dome of furl doenblow snd forward. I still lust after trafition se of Norton Commando but tried getting two on the road before handing off yo someone with better knowedge and skills. I notice that young and non-motorcyclist compliment the looks of my orange 790 Duke. I think engine bring visible helps.
What in the hell are you trying to say? 8 misspelled words and unreadable sentences. Try spellcheck and try English. Please.

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Oh I’m on ignore boo hoo.
What! - you mean to tell me your world will not end? - How will you cope without all those "feel good" EMOJIS, EMOTICONS, STICKERS etc?
I don't think you're buying into the whole online peer pressure thing at all. How else can the internet survive?
Please don't feel offended and ignore me - I may start to cry.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What! - you mean to tell me your world will not end? - How will you cope without all those "feel good" EMOJIS, EMOTICONS, STICKERS etc?
I don't think you're buying into the whole online peer pressure thing at all. How else can the internet survive?
Please don't feel offended and ignore me - I may start to cry.
Things don’t always come out quite as they’re meant when written down maybe I should use the emoji things more?
anyway did he buy one yet?

·
a d m i n .
151,032 Posts
Signing off my own thread now.
Using the ‘Ignore’ feature on a public forum of enthusiasts is not how you win hearts & minds to your cause..

Side note: Test rode a ‘21 MT09 SP at a Yammi Demo, and it was a pretty sweet ride, (Power, brakes, Handling: KY front fork, Ohlins rear shock), I’d prolly still go for the 890R though. :p

21 - 40 of 43 Posts