KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can pop a wheelie on a dirt bike, but I'm scared on any street bike. It's too heavy and the consequences are too severe. :)
With that said, is it safe to pop a wheelie in Sport mode? Basically, in 2nd gear going about 15-20mph rev it to 8k or more and pop the clutch. Does the anti-wheelie electronics keep it safe?

Gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
233 Posts
Uhmm, not to be a "Saftey Clide" but is it ever safe to do a Wheelie?
I know it's fun, looks cool, and is abuse of the drive chain but I doubt it is ever safe.
Signed your Mom 😉

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ive noticed it will still wheelie over crests in sport. I wouldnt trust it to save your ass, put it that way.
I dunno may it will, Im not much of a wheelier myself.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
233 Posts
Uhmm, not to be a "Saftey Clide" but is it ever safe to do a Wheelie?
I know it's fun, looks cool, and is abuse of the drive chain but I doubt it is ever safe.
Signed your Mom 😉
Of course riding a motorcycle is not safe so whatever.
I mean realy. THEY CAN'T EVEN STAND UP ON THEIR OWN!

·
Registered
'20 890R
48 Posts
Wheelies are only possible in "Track Mode" and AWM off!

In sports mode the AWM will prevent a wheelie
Small wheelies are possible in sports mode. The TC/AWM will allow for approx. 7° of lift. However, it can be fooled over crests and bumbs allowing more lift.

·
Super Moderator
'09 CBR1000RR
638 Posts
And if you switch TC off in sports mode, there is no antiwheelie.
Huh?

Pretty sure thats not the case. I don't have a 790 any longer (890R now) so I can't confirm myself but I'd wager a lot of cash thats not the case. Anti wheelie could only be de-activated in track mode was my understanding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am not sure there is any AWM that will save you if you were to rev it high and pop the clutch. I would think it is possible (but I haven't run the physics on it) to think that you could get enough acceleration under the right circumstance that by the time the engine cut power, it was too late. If the limit is 7° of lift, how fast can you get the bike rotating before the AWM cuts in? You could have a lot of kinetic energy, combined with the torque of the transmission, if you were to do a clutch dump at 8-9k. Given the heavier mass of the 890's crank I would bet it is even more likely to have an issue here.

Once that wheel is up, all the AWM/TC does it cut throttle, it isn't going to tap the rear brake for you and bring it down. I used to clutch dump big dressers to wheelie and I would immediately be off the throttle as soon as it came up, as once its up, it had a lot of kinetic energy to keep moving and every degree is easier after the first degree.

If you want to be the guinea pig, try this in a higher gear where you don't have so much torque multiplication and work your way down. It is going to shock load the hell out of your chain and sprockets but again higher gears are easier on it. Be ready to tap the rear brake just in case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts