KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard at a local CDN dealer yesterday, confirmed by a member on a UK forum at his dealership.

Anyone have a reliable source to verify the end of the KTM 790 series?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dont have a verifiable source to link to, but I was told by 2 different KTM dealers in my area (pacific Northwest) that the 890 was the replacement for the 790, which is why all the 790's went on sale to get rid of the inventory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Makes sense. I don't see the need for both when the 890 improves and fixes the few faults the 790 has for only $3,000 more. Explains how I was able to nab a '19 790 w/ 1100 miles and a slew of aftermarket parts attached for $7,500 a couple months ago lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It makes no sense at all unless KTM decide to bring out an 890 with the same settings as the 790, including the riding position and the full electronics package, including a cure for the poor fuelling. For most riders the 790 is a better option than the 890, as seen in last month's Bike magazine, where it beat the 890, MV Brutale 800 RR SCS (catchy name!), Triumph Street Triple RS and Yamaha MT-09 SP.
On most roads the 790 can out perform average riding ability by a distance. Yes, there are riders who can explore both the 790 and 890 to the limits, but they are few and far between and probably exploring these limits on a track. Bigger is not always better.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Maybe the 790 will continue as the "L" model only. And "full power" be the 890. It would surprise me greatly if they close the run after only 2 full production years. Especially given the plan is for China to ramp into production in 2021. The EXISTING 790 may not (I don't know) be EU5 compliant - the 890 will have to have been.

tbh I am tempted to go find an old EU3 bike

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
For most riders the 790 is a better option than the 890, as seen in last month's Bike magazine, where it beat the 890, MV Brutale 800 RR SCS (catchy name!), Triumph Street Triple RS and Yamaha MT-09 SP.
Might you have a link to that review? - We exiles feel the need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Makes sense. I don't see the need for both when the 890 improves and fixes the few faults the 790 has for only $3,000 more. Explains how I was able to nab a '19 790 w/ 1100 miles and a slew of aftermarket parts attached for $7,500 a couple months ago lol.
Hi, really interested in the deal you got on that ‘19 duke. Was that $7500 at a dealer with fees & tax on top, or was that just $7500 out the door?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, really interested in the deal you got on that ‘19 duke. Was that $7500 at a dealer with fees & tax on top, or was that just $7500 out the door?
It was $7,500 before taxes and fees, unfortunately. Still a hell of a deal considering the out the door pricing for a brand new one...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What is certain is that there is a new range of 890 ADVENTURE announced for 2021.

The extra cc's will help with bottom end. Here there is no news on changes to the DUKE setup (yet?).

I can guess that all plans are subject to change this year. COVID has hurt (here anyway) the industry.

·
Registered
58 Posts
With KTMs continual turnover in sub-models/displacement changes, almost nothing is a guarantee for multiple generations these days. I get it; it's always building new interest and bringing more traffic into the dealerships as focus shifts to the next best thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts