KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
71 Posts
Looking mighty fine. Wonder if anyone will be supporting the drivetrain more with the news of the RC8C '23 updates? :cool:

Out of curiosity - is the carbon cosmetic or does it have better thermal properties or weight savings? Looking forward to the review and hopefully the tuning session.

·
VIP member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
do you have any info when they’re being released for general sale ?
He has tons of them in his shop waiting to be sold. He just has a backlog of work. He lost 3 key employees and had a fourth killed in a motorcycle crash this year. He told me he needs to refine the maps and get the instructions finished. I think one of the reasons he said I could post about this is he wants to get it wrapped up and on sale soon. Initially, I’ll be running this without maps, which will fatten up the midrange and take some off the top. Once he has time, I’ll try it with the maps.

·
VIP member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Looking mighty fine. Wonder if anyone will be supporting the drivetrain more with the news of the RC8C '23 updates? :cool:

Out of curiosity - is the carbon cosmetic or does it have better thermal properties or weight savings? Looking forward to the review and hopefully the tuning session.
Good questions. I’ll ask when I talk to him after I get this installed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
He has tons of them in his shop waiting to be sold. He just has a backlog of work. He lost 3 key employees and had a fourth killed in a motorcycle crash this year. He told me he needs to refine the maps and get the instructions finished. I think one of the reasons he said I could post about this is he wants to get it wrapped up and on sale soon. Initially, I’ll be running this without maps, which will fatten up the midrange and take some off the top. Once he has time, I’ll try it with the maps.
Be very interested to see if AFR changes without maps😀.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
303 Posts

I'm sure you'll save a couple of grams.

·
VIP member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Pretty dang easy to install. It made for a fun Friday night.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Personal luxury car

Just remove the left subframe.

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Make sure all the attachments are loosened. You need to raise, but not remove, the tank to free the wiring harness from a retaining strap on the airbox. Loosen the boots where they mount to the injector bodies. Then wiggle the airbox free. It requires a pretty hefty pull.

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Road surface Asphalt Gas

The velocity stack on the left is from a 790, the right is an 890. I was told that the 790 one gives more midrange at the expense of the top. The 890 one helps regain some of what is lost in the top with this mod while lessening the midrange improvement. Since the midrange is what I’m after, I kept the 790 ones. I may try either a custom map or and ECU flash to maximize the power later. For now, I’ll try it with map I used for my previous setup.

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Rim Tread

The foam on the airbox helps to account for any irregularities in the hand-laid carbon fiber. The velocity stack goes in pretty easily.

Automotive tire Grey Water Eyelash Wood

An interior view.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Looking towards the throttle bodies before the right velocity stack was removed.

Motor vehicle Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire

Checking the placement.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Camera accessory

All buttoned up, oiled, and ready to have the seat put on.

Tomorrow, I’ll test ride it before putting on my track wheels with Metzeler TD slicks for Sunday’s track day at Chuckwalla.

·
VIP member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
How hard is it to change the filter once everything is buttoned up? The angle of the photo makes it look real tough to get your hands in there.
Your hands have to go on either sides of the seat mount. Once the filter is unscrewed, it needs to be rotated so the the opening faces upward. Then it lifts right out.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Question : Is the filter visible with the seat on?. A Dark Grey foam would be a better idea (imo).

Whilst it may or may not worry Rottweiler ( I doubt the worry much about a few EU sales) - I know that some folk are going to hit issues with MoT/TúV/ITV tests if the tester is particularly vigilant and "by the book".

·
VIP member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Question : Is the filter visible with the seat on?. A Dark Grey foam would be a better idea (imo).

Whilst it may or may not worry Rottweiler ( I doubt the worry much about a few EU sales) - I know that some folk are going to hit issues with MoT/TúV/ITV tests if the tester is particularly vigilant and "by the book".
good question! I just checked, and it is slightly visible if you’re looking for it in daylight and visible through the screen if you use a flashlight.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts