KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my early 20's, I rode sports bike for about three years. Once I got into dirt bikes, I completely stop riding street bikes for over 25 years until last year. Because this 790 Duke ergo feels a lot like a dirt bike, I tend to ride it like a dirt bike. I'm almost on top of the tank and I squeeze the tank with my knees when I'm loading the front end under braking. Heck, on tight turns, I kick the inside leg out toward the front forks like a dirt bike. Am I riding the 790 Duke all wrong? I'm talking about street riding; canyon riding has more speed so I don't use dirt bike techniques.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I wouldn't ride it like a Super Moto, Super Moto's are tall, and have a lot of flex and suspension travel, so turning them fast is best upright, braking hard with the foot out. The 790 is a sweet steering bike, and the seat height is low, so putting your leg out from such a low height your going to need more leg angle, or your foot will hit the road. I had a 640 SMR, and the bikes height meant i could use my foot (motocross boots) as a balance tool when hard braking into and around corners, but this technique isn't necessary on the 790.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
427 Posts
Sportbike style for myself. For aggressive riding, body forward and off center to lower the center of gravity and maintain the bike as upright as possible. Commuting - plunk my ass in the seat and keep my eyes peeled for cagers doing dumb things.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Having NEVER had a off road bike - I don't know. But I was raised and learned in a different time when one gripped the tank and kept one's knees in on sports bikes. And roads were less than perfect with high hedgerows with no corner visibility and usually covered in gravel or horse and cow poo. UK guys will know.

I ride with what the Spanish call the "English" style. Watch old TT videos. I don't lean as much as the bike certainly not more. I have tried the knee dragging way - but "Old Dog - New Tricks".

And tbh on the 790 I find I don't actually have to think much about taking corners - in fact usually it's best not to.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL. Every time I felt like doing something stupid, my left 50-year-old brain asked me, “ Do you want to risk scratching that beautiful bike?” Locking and sliding the rear left to right coming to a stop at a light is as much as I'm willing to do at this stage in my life. :) I envy young people; they lack the fear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts