KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s everybody using for street gear these days ? I have a older Dainese Santa Monica jacket I’ve been using for years looking at getting a suit and want to hear opinions. Don’t ride track, yet. Aggressive street riding though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you are riding 'aggressively', wear all leather; either one piece, or two piece that zips together all the way around the waist.

Choose something that fits well and is completely comfortable, particularly in the knees. If the knees are tight, or the knee cup is too high or low, you will be hating it.

For me, with very long legs, the only option is custom made. Z Leathers has made me a couple of one piece suits that fit just right.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
439 Posts
I agree with L8 Apex - leather is your friend.

I'm an admitted gear nazi - I wear top quality protective gear as I have unfortunately used it and benefited from it many, many times on track and once on the street many years ago.

I don't commute, I only ride under good conditions and at a spirited pace so margins for error are reduced. For me - top quality leathers (RST in my case), Bell Race Star MIPS lid, RST gauntlet gloves, A-Stars back protector, and Sidi boots are always along for the ride.

Leathers take an adjustment period, they feel odd and you can be very subconscious in them but there is nothing better if things go sideways. A 2-pc suit is more commuter friendly, a 1-pc if you intend to do track days or start racing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I usually wear all leathers, just wondering if going to a 1 piece is good or should I just stick with the two piece. Found a deal on the Dainese Assen suit but it a 1 piece and never had one before.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
439 Posts
Yeah I usually wear all leathers, just wondering if going to a 1 piece is good or should I just stick with the two piece. Found a deal on the Dainese Assen suit but it a 1 piece and never had one before.
A 1pc suit is less than ideal for street riding when you stop for lunch or a coffee - impossible to look cool with that thing on and it's impossible to remove unless you are okay walking around in your undersuit LOL.

At least with a 2pc you can unzip the coat and walk around without looking like a Day-glo Power Ranger.

As for ultimate protection, 1pc is the best.

·
Registered
66 Posts
dainese leather jacket and dainese new drake air textile pants. i have some leather pants but i feel like such a tool riding in a two piece suit on the street lmao

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I think I’ll have to keep my eye out for a new 2 piece. Seems to be more practical.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Back in my trackday years (before getting married with kids) I had a 1 piece leather suit. It was great on the track. Only wore it once on the street- I knew it was going to be a fast ride through the canyon with some hotshots from the motorcycle shop that all raced. I felt like a tool and it's really awkward to get lunch or a drink at the gas station.

A leather armored jacket is easier to wear on the street and pair it with like branded pants so they can zip together at the rear.

·
A d m i n .
151,133 Posts
As others have inferred, a 2 pc is the better move for day to day street riding.

For aggressive riding with my Sunday Burn crew, 1 pc race leathers are the norm.

Some have very bright kit, as if their being sponsored, haha.

Most of us have dark race leathers, with ample slide/crash burns, marking many of us are 'experienced crashers', each one has a story, always fun.

When you get to the brunch spot, you have to unfit the top part of your leathers and simply roll them down to your waist.

Since we're all suited up, I never feel strange, although we get some odd looks. Good times. :grin:

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think - the key word is STREET. That for me indicates all sorts of requirements - a huge one being pockets. And for any distance . man they have to be comfy.

One has to look seriously at some of the HIGH SPEC DYNEEMA AND KEVLAR type gear. There is stuff out there with EC test 12second slide times - that is easily a match for most leathers.

Like everything there is Leather and LEATHER. Same applies to Fabric and FABRIC.

The ideal would be a thought out layer system.

Also depending where you live/ride the materials choice can be imporatnt for other reasons - and it's NOT always as intuitive as folk think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts