KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2018 790 Duke little over a year ago and I'm loving it. I have a question regarding the rear shock and ride height. I have the feeling the previous owner has lowered the bike and I would like it to be a little higher. My 990 SuperDuke R was fitted with fully adjustable shocks. The rear shock had thread where I could just heighten the bike quite easily. The 790 Duke doesn't have that, for as far as I can tell. But how can I tell if my bike has been lowered? And if so, can it be altered easily?

This my bike, so maybe you can tell just by looking at it. :)

Thanks for your help!

·
136 Posts
Check out page 129 of your owner's manual. The shock has a ramp type preload adjuster. If you didn't get the manual with the bike you can download it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out page 129 of your owner's manual. The shock has a ramp type preload adjuster. If you didn't get the manual with the bike you can download it.
Thanks! But does this adjust the ride height? Only the preload, right?

·
136 Posts
Correct. When you referred to your 990 Super Duke R's threaded adjustment, I made the, apparently bad, assumption that you were referring to the preload adjustment rings.

@columbo gave the only lead I know of to check for actual lowering. If that was done, it's obviously reversible but you'd need the original side stand.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It will effect the ride height, if all preload is taken off, the bike will sit lower in static form, and lower with rider aboard. To start with it wants to sit mid way in the settings, if you are lighter, less preload, heavier more preload. so preload does effect ride height. as for the bike having some form of lowering kit, you will have to look for lowering kit tell tale signs as above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts